Old White deck

D

DarthFerret

Ok, you all know that I am not a fan of the "new look". Because of this, I have no idea if the original power structure of the game changed as well, considering I have not purchased or seen any of the newer cards. I have always found to be true, for me anyway, that the original 300 card stock set the power limits for individual cards in each color. Thus, my old stock cards, aside from being the subject of a lot of envy, were still competitive. I am wondering if that is still true with the new eighth edition and other expansions brought out recently.

BTW: I guess I could post my favorite deck, to give an idea of what I mean by remaining competitive.

4 Savanah Lions
4 White Knights
4 Samite Healers
4 Wall of Swords
4 Serra Angels

1 Wrath of God
1 Balance
2 STPs
4 Disenchants
4 Crusades
4 Eye for an Eyes
4 Reverse Damages

2 Icy Manipulators
1 Sol Ring
1 Nevinyrral's Disk

20 Plains

Would this deck remain competitive within the scope of the current M:TG regime?

I realize that Eye for an Eye is not from the original 300 card stock. I built this deck shortly after revised came out, and was aiming to build a white-border deck that would twist a color to do basically it's opposite. White heals and gains life, and protects. I made this to do as much damage and destruction as possible.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
The power level has definitely changed. I think you might be good to go in a casual game but there are some cards out there now where you can probably substitute for the Reverse Damages, Eye to Eyes, Samite Healers, and Wall of Swords, at the very least. What, I'm not sure, but someone else can probably help you out ;)

S

Spuky

I think you should chang a lot of the deck in order to make it competitive(cough remove the walls, cough), and add some more weenies

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Guys, DarthFerret is, it seems, not all that familiar with the newer cards. Suggesting individual card choices and strategies would probably be helpful...

This deck would be legal for Vintage tournaments, but would be totally unable to compete in them. It could be altered for another format or made strictly casual...

Some of the card choices could easily be replaced by newer selections. Samite Healer is not particularly good anymore...

What about Mother of Runes? Might she be good in this type of deck?

Could it be converted to the good old prison deck using Winter Orb and Icy Manipulator?

C

chris92

you could change the wall of swords and samite healer with better creatures like:
silver knight, mother of runes, soltari priest/monk, isamaru hound of konda, or even samurai of the pale curtain :D

4 serra angels are a bit too much, and i think exalted angel is better.

eye for an eye, and reverse damage are not that good, you could use spirit link, or could put empyrial plate/armor in their slots.

you could also use cataclysm :)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Exalted Angel may or may not be better. It depends on the deck. Mana Drain is not involved, and it makes Exalted a lot better...

Serra Angel is cheaper and can do the job of attacking and blocking (thanks to what we apparently supposed to call "vigilance" now).

Still, I would consider Exalted Angel instead of or alongside Serra Angel...

Silver Knight is quite good and should be considered. It is just like Black Knight, but immune to red burn and stuff, which is probably even more useful than shielding against black creature destruction and stuff...

D

DarthFerret

I appreciate all the feedback, but you are correct. I am an old vintage player and not familiar with any of the new cards. Especially since I refuse to use any of the cards with the new "facelift". My main goal in building this deck was a gradual incresase in casting costs, and the ability to handle and deal massive damage while protecting against the weenies.... That being said, I do not know what sets some of these cards come from, and others I have seen but do not own. The ones that I do own, I might try replacing and testing to see if it works better. Most people I play agains have found that they cannot beat me in the best 2 out of 3. But I have found the really fast decks can tend to be a major pain in the butt.

By the way, what set is this Silver Knight from. Sounds pretty interesting. And what is the casting cost?

R

Reverend Love

Hi DarthFerret. Aah, I remember the good'ol days when white was the best color simply because of Disenchant and Serra Angel. Those were the days.

The White of today has been knocked off its glorious podium, and now is actually the weakest of all colors. Green, the ka-ka color of yore is now arguably reigning supreme..and Blue...don't even get me started about my precious Blue :) Lots and lots of changes.

If you’re simply looking to make some minor changes to your old staple I suggest adding:

Razor Golem, this guy is amazing! I know he's got the new face lift which we're both not too fond of but hey..he's good. It's worth it. I remember when they added the stupid T: and replaced the word TAP. That irked me...then just when I had fond eyes for my little T, they yank it for some stupid curvy symbol. After a ton of changes I finally realized as long as magic still had creatures, spells, and lands I wouldn't give two hoots what it looked like. If my Warrior Goblin Pervert Shaman Warrior cubed, fitted into a god awful rejected Windows theme, can smash my opponents dome like a grape, then whatever....oh yea, back to card suggestions.

Akroma, Angel of Wrath, Personal Incarnation ain't got nuthin on her!

For all you youngsters Personal Incarnation was the uber white beatstick back in the day.

Dawn Elemental

Beloved Chaplain <-- Super Annoying!

The Tempest Block white shadow creatures...

Cho-Arrim Alchemist a reusable reverse damage.

Whipcorder a personal favorite.

Preacher an oldie but goldie :)

The fearsome fattie Serra Avatar

The old Mother of Runes

And lots, lots more. Creatures are so much better then they used to be. Except Craw Wurm. Best. Creature. EVER!!

EDIT

Sliver Knight is an uncommon out of Scourge. He's gud.

D

DarthFerret

Most of these creatures look really good, but again, most of them kind of go agains my theme of gradually increasing casting cost and power.

For Example:

usually this deck starts off as follows although there have been many many exceptions...

1st turn: Savanah Lions (2/1)
2nd turn: White Knight (2/2 first strike)

btw: the other knight looks good here too!

3rd turn: Samite Healer
4th turn: Wall of Swords
5th turn: Serra Angel

by that time I usually have both an eye for an eye and a reverse damage, therefore my power base is usually set. Not the fastest deck I have ever built, but evenly and well balanced. Most of the people that i play with regularly, want to give thier decks the "ultimate play-test" by striking out agains my white.

R

Reverend Love

I'm glad it's working for you. There's lots of great white creatures, and spells that have been printed since the 8 or so years that revised saw release. Hopefully you'll discover some of these new gems, and combine them with your old.

T

train

Darth - Have you gotten any newer cards yet - just wondering... there are a lot of decent WW critters serving as filler in packs...

And have you changed your mind on using the newer ones?

D

DarthFerret

Yes, I have changed my mind, but at the same time, I have no money at this moment (Donations welcome!!) so I am still stuck using the ones that I currently own.

Also, my nephew is a huge Yu-Gi-Oh fan, so I am learning that game right now so that I can teach him. Kinda sucks, but, he's family... :rolleyes:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I can send you some extra commons from "newer" sets, just let me know starting from what set and where I can send them too...

D

DarthFerret

Spidey, I was actually just making a joke. I would not want anyone to feel obligated to send me anything. Otherwise, I actually stopped collecting with the last expansion to come out before Eight Ed. (I think it was Onslaught).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oh. Well, I don't feel obligated; I'd be glad to "get rid" of my extra commons so someone else can have them, but if you're set, that's okay too :)