mtgnews message boards; not my cup of tea anymore.

Killer Joe

I don't know how many of you post over at the mtgnews message boards, but lately it's been very unfriendly, IMO. There's this dude named DUke that thinks I hate him or something (I don't) and no matter how much I extend a friendly post to him, he chews me up oneside and down the other. My posts are somewhat disjunct sometimes and often flavored with a weird taste of humor, but, am I that bad? I consider myself a people person and though my ego is strong enough to realize that it's okay for people not to like me, but man, I am really bugged about this case.
Istanbul: DUke recently posted on a thread called "Get some substance to your conversations Part II" or something like that in the Lobby section and mentioned that you always got on his case, what's this guy about?
I am going to chill out on that place for a while, it's just not as friendly as a whole, from what it used to be. OY!

Z

Zadok001

I've kinda dropped off the MtgNews map myself, but I don't think Duke is out to kill anyone. I don't really feel he has a personal vendetta towards you, Yellowjacket, he's just kinda a flamer by nature. It's in his blood, or something. :) But I agree, the place has lost its 'friendly' feeling... Kind of losing the passive touch towards a more "hit you over the head with the facts" feeling. Bleh, IMHO. Oh, well. I'll lurk, but I won't post there as often.

"Best of luck."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like it's too bad more of the users there aren't like the ones here where they can "rein" him in line. :(

D

Dune Echo

I only go there for the rumors section and the Player Made Cards section. It has gotten quite stupid, hasn't it? Shame though, Duke comes up with some cool Fading cards.

C

Cateran Overlord

and I was amazed at the timing. I had gone there to post my farewells and say goodbye, as Dojo syndrome had taken over the intelligent conversation. So I just added my sentiments at the same post and left.

...with a final pitch for everyone to come to the CPA of course :D

T

theorgg

Yea, ummmm...
I lurk in just about every message board at some time or another...

the only ones that I ever liked, however, was the ORIGINAL Dojo forums, the Mr. T message board, and the CPA.
any others are either too hard to navigate, difficult to pow through or have "bad influences" in 'em.

but I like this place. It reminds me much of the original Dojo forums, except a bit more intellegent conversation...

well, mostly.

F

FoundationOfRancor

*hopes no one mentions his "check it" thread*

I use to post all the time on mtg as HiImAnIdiot2000, ut I dont like it anymore. For the reasons listed above. I just check for rumors now to see if something looks cool. Anybody go to the newwave boards? I like those...

T

The Magic Jackal

I never really liked the MTG boards for some reason. I really don't like the setup they have going over there. I always get a chuckle looking at the rumors section (some guy said there was going to be an ancestral recall and counterspell combined in the same card for 1 mana!) I was laughing my ass off for a while of that one. The dojo boards seem to get worse and worse as more mindless idiots join it. I wouldn't mind so much, but most of them are posting just to get posts!!! It's a shame too, before the colaspe of the dojo we had some great guys on there...

As for this duke guy, I'd be happy to challege him to a dual :)

U

urzas_mistress

well the only reason i like mtgnews is because i find rumors there... but also i found the link to this place that i like very much. ^_^

people seem to be rather scathing on those messageboards. i noticed when i would post an opposing, but equally plausible opinion or theory, i would be jumped on usually by "random scrubs" that were too cowardly to leave their real name, lol! but i have to confess that i've spoken via e-mail to one of the guys (or the guy?) that runs the site, and he seemed truly nice.

perhaps the scathing comments would die out if you had to "sign up" as a member to post? who knows.

if i do post on there, i post as "shellie."

M

Mr_Pestilence

I know what you mean Yellowjacket, some of the better posters seem to have left mtgnews, or be drowned out by the screaming morons that now dominate there.

I don't get Duke. To be frank, I usually skip his posts because they are unorganized, overly critical or just a waste of time to read. I don't have anything personal against him, even though he has attacked me a couple of times - its just not worth my time to read what he has to say. Whatever.

I think Magic is going through a major shakeout right now, with lots of old-timers leaving, but lots of newcomers coming aboard. There as always been a decent turnover rate, but this seems to have accelerated recently. Maybe there will be some new, clear, strong voices among the new crop of Magic players, and they post here and at mtgnews. I hope so.

Z

Zadok001

"I use to post all the time on mtg as HiImAnIdiot2000"

THAT WAS YOU???!?!??! :)

I was wondering what was with that guy...

Well, consider my "Nivelimac" alias to be out of the picture, I'm not even going onto the 'boards there anymore... I'm considering a friendly takeover of the StarCity boards in the stead of the MtgNews ones, after all, StarCity is rapidly becoming my second favorite M:tG site. No, I'm not counting Meridian, since they post mainly the other site's stuff... :)

"I may start going by 'SiaSL' or 'Sakarius,' though."

Z

Zadok001

Nothing, really... :) I was kidding. I just didn't know you were him, it's kinda funny to realize that after so damn long... Sorry. :)

M

mogg bomber

I agree the mtgnews board just isn't what it used to be. I go there and check it out occasionally now, but I hardly ever post there anymore(my user name there is mogg). This is a much better place. I also like the MOTL board(magictraders.com) and the storyline board at phyrexia.com

T

The Magic Jackal

I don't like the MOTL boards at all. It seems to crowded and unfriendly. The trading board isn't even that good. When i email people about trades I only get replies back 25% of the time. Some people are just rude....

D

DÛke

Hey, I didn't know I have so many fan mail everywhere.

Yellowjacket, I never said that I didn't like you, I just said that I don't get your posts because they are always about rants and stuff. You don't agree with me and I don't agree with you, it's like fire and water. It's just natural for two people to not agree about everything man.
I'm sorry if I have offended your or anything, but I really didn't mean it. Sorry again, but please don't hate me, because hate doesn't solve anything. I'm not asking you to like me, but I'm asking you to forgive me for everything I said about you that you thought was meant to be offensive.
Sorry. And by the way, I never said I disliked Istanbul, as a matter of fact, if you have read the whole thing you would have see exactly what I said, and thats that I think Istanbul didn't like me, but I really did like him; I said that he was a great person to talk to and great deckbuilder and all that, except that he always had a bad attitude towards me, and I said that I like that, I liked his attitue toward me, because I do deserve it, comparing to what mean things I have said to him in the very past. I'm sure he might not remember, but that's ok, because I think he's alright, and I'm sure he think the same, go ahead and ask him that to be sure. Thanks.

And Mr.Pestilence, you have to admit it, you yourself have never been nice to me at MTGnews, and I haven't either. You don't like me and I guess that I don't like you.
Let's just keep it that way, without lies, and without bringing back the past. Is that ok with you? Thanks.

Spiderman, I don't know you, but you don't know me too.
I don't create fights and I'm not a flamer. let's not jump into conclusions and be enemeys. Let's just try to get to know each other, maybe there's a chance for friendship, but please, don't ever reject me because of what you heard, because that might be not ture. Thanks.

Zadok, thanks for sticking up for me and not letting the conversation eat me apart while I wasn't present. Thanks a lot. I can assure you that you'll find nothing but the great side of Duke in these message boards. I'm sorry if I have ever offended you and all.

There, that was my first real post at this site. I hope Mr. Pestilence doesn't think it's rude or anything, and I hope that he could understand it, because like he said, I'm dumb compared to him :)

Killer Joe

You're right about my rants and stuff, even here I get kind of weird responses to my somewhat unfocused posts. I'll do better in the future. Let's start fresh. Allow me to welcome you here to our humble home. We all don't always agree with each other but we're still a family and like any family there'll always be a few tense moments on the boards. Again, welcome to the CPA.

Z

Zadok001

FoR: No problem, not at all. :) I was just kidding. If anything, I was wondering who on Earth would name themselves "HiImAnIdiot." I mean, what? :)

As for everyone who has been 'attacked' by Duke, I have to say, it's not that bad. I would like everyone to do me a favor (especially if you play Diablo 2 very much), and stop by http://www.diabloii.com. Go to the message boards, and check out the FLAMES. :) BOOM! Everywhere. It's not pretty. Duke has always been mild by comparison.

The trick is to pay attention. Like Istanbul, Duke can flame like nothin' else. (Btw, Duke, you and Isty should do a 1v1 flame war, just for fun, in the Battle Arena. :) Nothing personal, just shoot a bunch of insults off at each other. It would be nigh-on hilarious... :) ) But he has good points. Yes, Duke, you can be insulting at times. And I had a pretty low opinion of you at first (remember the old days of 'Why do Duke's posts suck so much?'), but that has CHANGED. You have changed.

And you're a voice worth having speak around here.

"Reading through the flames... And loving it."