Rite of Passage deck

R

Reverend Love

To the chase. Using creatures like Plague Spitter, and Thrashing Wumpus trigger Rite of Passage to increase the size of all my creatures. Use additional cards like Mephidross Vampire to further boost Plague Spitter, and Thrashing Wumpus's size. Also get the cheesy Triskileon combo as well. Spike Weaver provides infinite fogs once the combo is up and running, or a temp fog in case of beats.

Sun Droplet eases the pain of Plague Spitter and Wumpus. In multiples I can actually gain life. Diamond Valley to sac a fatty creature for mondo life gain.

Scythe of the Wretched let's me steal creatures through Trisk, Wumpa, or Spitter.

Gratuitous black kill spells, this baby is going to be rather slow to get up on its feet. However the Trisk, Wumpus and Spitter should provide a means of defense..I hope :)

Very casual. Haven't even played it and I already like it.

Deck idea was blatantly stolen from Clown Warrior.

Creatures: 20
4 Mephidross Vampire
4 Plague Spitter
4 Thrashing Wumpus
4 Triskileon
4 Spike Weaver

Spells: 11
4 Rite of Passage
1 Demonic Tutor
4 Eradicate
3 Dark Banishing

Artifacts: 5
4 Sun Droplets
1 Scythe of the Wretched

Land: 24
1 Diamond Valley
4 Bayou
2 Tainted Wood
1 Gaea’s Cradle
11 Swamps
5 Forest

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, wow. That's definitely an unorthodox approach...

I like the way it abuses Spike Weaver, although I haven't played it yet either...

It does look worryingly slow against aggro...

R

Reverend Love

It is slow. I've been goofing around with it on Apprentice. It's one saving grace comes in the form of both Wumpus and Spitter. Those two pretty much crush any weenie horde..which is nice.

The Wumpus/Spitter Mephidross Vampire Combo is pretty interesting. In 1 turn I had a wumpus go from a paltry 3/3 to a 14/14...nice.

F

Force of Will Smith

I think if you get out 2 rites of passage and a triskelion you can make him a X/X infinite/infinite creature, and then remove those counters to kill your opponent.

R

Reverend Love

Yea goofing around in apprentice I noticed all I need is any 2 of Mephidross Vampire and Rights of Passage, doesn't matter which 2 or in which combination and I can go infinite with Trisk.

x2 Vampire is a little tricker as the Trisk will actually be dom'ing himself to get +1/+1 counters. Along with a Passage/Vampire combo.

F

Force of Will Smith

I think as long as this deck is casual, you should make it sick.

Triskelion costs a TON to play, as does mephidross.
Since your not playing tooth and nail.

From the Casting cost curve, i can see you playing a sun droplet, then either a weaver, or a rites.. then too many turns till you break the game.

Theres gotta be some sick way you can implement
trash for treasure/ tinker and goblin welder. That's the only thing from taking this from being very casual and kick ass.

M

MasterSimon

IMO I would go for Tooth and Nails with this deck to speed things up.

a TNN Right To Passage sounds very possible when playing casual games ^_^

without TNN you are gunna need to add in some other cards to speed things up.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by MasterSimon
without TNN you are gunna need to add in some other cards to speed things up.
Well, I think the idea is to slow things down, not speed things up. Of course, Tooth and Nail doesn't really do either. It might be good here, but without Urza's lands or Cloudposts, getting all that mana would take a while...

M

MasterSimon

you could always use Wayfarer's Bauble
since you already splashed the Green you can use Sakura-Tribe Elder, BoP, or Sylvan Scrying, but i would agree that the Urza's lands or some Cloudpost would be a great help.
I am just saying i would go with TNN.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
But if you're going to all the trouble of casting Tooth and Nail (your abbreviation of "TNN" makes no sense) then you might as well get bigger creatures or ones that will win you the game by themselves.

M

MasterSimon

you have never seen and abbr. as "n"?
Here is an example from a reserant menu i have seen
"Soup 'n' Such"

anyway if you are gunna use TNN you don't just run a lot of big creatures you need the mana excel.
i am just sayin 10BB (or 6 one turn and 4BB another) is a lot harder to get than 7GG (or 5GG).
i would rather drop both of em fast in one turn rather than 1 each turn.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I do see what you're saying about Tooth and Nail, but I'm not sure it's necessarily the best thing for this deck. Tooth and Nail gets out two creatures and does a good job of it, but it requires a lot of support cards...

Also I have seen that abbreviation, but that does not make it correct to use it. Plus "TNN" sounds rather like it's a TV station or something along those lines...

M

MasterSimon

but this deck needs a lot of support as well =/
either way both decks need the speed support to get the needed mana fast.

i would just run TNN right to passage with the cheese combos
either wat like i said u want the deck to be very fast =/

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
It's Rites of Passage and NOT "Rights to Passage."

I do not thing Tooth and Nail, at nine mana, would speed this up. Tooth and Nail is only fast because the setup cards (say Cloudposts, Sylvan Scrying, or Thran Dynamos or whatever) are devoted to setting up for Tooth and Nail. Then the game is won after Tooth and Nail fetches two totally awesome creatures out of the library and into play.

This deck requires its own setup. I think elements like Sun Droplet and Spike Weaver are the right sort of things to keep the opponent at bay. Trying to make the deck fast by adding a card that costs more than any of the others does not sound like an improvement.

R

Reverend Love

I could certantly see how a well timed Tooth could seal the deal. Fetching whatever creature is best suited to tackling whatever task is before the deck. However to really make best use of'ol tooth would require tweaking the support cards to use it. So in essence the current deck would mutate from a goofy casual deck, to a really bad tooth and nail deck.

M

MasterSimon

I said before if you ran Tooth and Nail you would have to make it with the support cards for Tooth and Nail =/

The Combo(s) could still be there but the whole thing would be VERY different.

Both versions of the deck are not the best though =/

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by Reverend Love
So in essence the current deck would mutate from a goofy casual deck, to a really bad tooth and nail deck.
That is a good way to put it.

T

train

they permanently boost the P/T of the critters - that isn't helping?...

heck - conspiracy and coat of arms would be cool too...