Deck Help.

M

Multani

Tag Guard

I've got a discard deck that needs serious help.
It's Hypies, Hymns, and Order of Yawgmoth.
Problem is: most of the creatures in my deck are 2/2 or less.

I need some big, beatdown creatures.

G

galtwish

Either use cheap Blue bounce or undercosted fatties like Masticore, Juggernaut, Skittering Horror and Pherxian Negator. Are you having problems with your opponents killing your creatures before they get there jobs done, or are they just running into tougher creatures? I have had a lot of success in a casual setting with this deck:

4 Hyppies
4 Abyssal
2 Order of Yagmoth
4 Order of the Ebon Hand
4 Black Knight
4 Dark Ritual
2 Corrupt
3 Spinning Darkness
3 Contagion
4 Befoul
4 Hymn to Tourach
22 Swamp

the pump knights really speed the game up as few creatures can stand up to them for long. If I stall out, I just Corrupt my way to victory.

Erik

I

I8Piggo

Galtwish's deck looks cool, but I'd dump the Knights and go for Masticores (if you can get them) and/or Horrors/Skirges. Phyrexian War Beast from Alliances in ok too. Phyrexian Negator can be good too.

K

krichaiushii

Something else to consider is Urborg Stalker. A 2/4 for 3B with a terribly useful ability -- deal 1 damage to any player with nonblack, nonland permanents in play during your upkeep.

Provided you are not running artifacts to speed up the discard, the Stalker is grand. I also like Forsaken Wastes.

The joy of both these cards is that they force your opponent to act quickly, maybe forcing his hand in order to get rid of a constant source of damage. Playing the Wastes can be tricky, though.

G

Griffith_se

I think Thrull Surgeon belongs in this deck, I don't know?

Here are some creatures to consider.

Juggernaut
Kjeldoran Dead
Hidden Horror
Juzám Djinn
Skittering Horror
Skittering Skirge
Phyrexian Negator
Commander Greven il-Vec
Flesh Reaver
Spined Fluke
Spiteful Bully

Junún Efreet
Derelor
Yawgmoth Demon
Eviscerator
Aku Djinn

Hope these give You some ideas.

K

krichaiushii

Aku Djinns and Spike Cannibals. That could be fun! ;)

M

Mikeymike

Better than fatties is Bad Moon, might as well benefit all of your creatures. Now your 2/2s are 3/3s or bigger. Ascendant Evincar is great too if you want to stick w/ the creature root.

I personally think Parallax Nexus is underrated myself. You drop a Nexus, he/she puts aside the 2 or 3 cards they aren't immediately casting aside. Hymn to Tourach takes their real threat out of their hand.

For beatdown, Dauthi Slayer, Phy. Negator, Skittering Skirge (better than the horror), and Hidden Horror.

For more discard, Mindstab thrull, Dauthi Mindripper, Stupor, Mind Twist (if you really are evil), Mind slash (this card is seriously ugly) and Unmask.

K

krichaiushii

I would definitely go with Ascendant Evincar over Bad Moon. Yeah, you can only get one into play at a time, but he effectively gives a +2/+2 to all your creatures, as he renders all nonblack creatures -1/-1.

K

krichaiushii

Other creatures to consider include:

Demonic Hordes
Ishan's Shade
Minion of Tevesh Szat
Minion of Leshrac
Lord of the Pit
Necrosavant

Yes, four of these have large upkeeps, but they all fill the "big black beatdown" bill you asked for. However, the Hordes destroy land and are 5/5, Minion of Leshrac kills land or a creature, is a 5/5 and pro black, the Minion of Tevesh Szat gives target creature +4/-2 and is a 4/4 (I think), while the LotP is a 7/7 flying beastie.

The Hordes and MoTS require mana for upkeep (BBB and BB, respectively), while the LotP and the MoL require a creature for upkeep. Decisions, decisions...

Griffith_se mentioned the Yawgmoth Demon, but that requires far more artifacts (the Yawgmoth's upkeep cost) than you are likely to run.

Just some more thoughts.

H

Hellion

Want a killer T1 discard deck? Visit my website at:

http://www.geocities.com/hamstring21/index.html

Check out the decks section and look up deck called "Shadow of Death". That's my killer discard deck that can beat almost any deck. Doesn't matter that the creatures are all 2/2s, it's the discard that doing the killing.

Why sacrifice speedy discard for a big beatdown? Especially when you are in control? I would rather waste my Dark Ritual for my discard instead of beatdown during the first few turns.