Forgotten MRD block cards, Part IV

M

Mur

On a whim recently, I bid on and won 4x Hum of the Radix for MTGO. I have a full playset of these offline, but hadn't tried to use them for anything, so when I had a chance to get four of them on MTGO for less than a buck ... hey, my face is next to "sucker" in the dictionary.

Card : Hum of the Radix
Cost : 2GG
Type : Enchantment
Wording : Each artifact spell costs 1 more to play for each artifact its controller controls.

It's the anti-affinity card. Really, it's the ultimate hoser for artifact lands, and it *really* hurts people playing Genesis Chamber, Nuisance Engine, etc.

I added a couple of these to an R/G artifact-free deck, loosely modeled on the Freshmaker (see Starcitygames.com for details, I don't have a link at hand): the real version has lots of Arc-Sloggers, Molder Slugs, Solemn Sims, Eternal Witnesses, and all that expensive stuff. My version has, um, well, let's just say I don't have a lot of those cards, online or offline. Online I have one Slug, one Witness, no Arc-Sloggers.

So I tried the Hum, and it was surprisingly successful. It doesn't help much against light artifact decks, but it is modestly helpful against WW/Equip and absolutly game-over for Affinity. I had one game against an affinity style deck, and after the Hum came down he had four artifact lands and a couple non-mana Myr and couldn't cast any spells. I watched him tap all his lands, undo, tap, undo, and finally concede.

Personally, I'm salivating over a deck that looks like this:

4x Hum of the Radix
4x Mycosynth Lattice
4x Brown Ouphe

and go on from there. You'd probably need a token generator as a win condition, because once the combo comes down you won't be casting many spells, either.

Of course, getting 4x Lattice is a big obstacle for me, so I'm not likely to put this together anytime soon.

O

orgg

If only it was a couple of turns earlier... Would it be ~THAT~ overpowering at GGG, 1GG or GG? I don't think so, and it'd help make Green a decent color in Mirroden block.

M

Mur

Originally posted by orgg
If only it was a couple of turns earlier... Would it be ~THAT~ overpowering at GGG, 1GG or GG? I don't think so, and it'd help make Green a decent color in Mirroden block.
Doubtless it would be better if cheaper. In fact, one could argue that making it 1GG and NOT counting artifact lands against the caster would have made it a better card. I don't argue that Hum is better than the other artifact hate in green for this block (um, would you rather have 4x Molder Slug or 4x Hum?). I'm just saying that for people who can't afford the best cards, Hum is an overlooked substitute.

And that's what most of my posts in this "series" are going to be aimed towards. Sure, you'd almost always rather have Solemn Simulacrum, but Krosan Tusker is a decent card, too. Sure, Oblivion Stone is a bomb, but Evacuation, Pyroclasm, Infest and Solar Tide could all substitute under the right circumstances. No, your deck won't win a PTQ, but it might win at FNM. And realistically, 99% of the people reading these words aren't going to find themselves at a PTQ this year, but 80% might find themselves at a small local event like FNM. I hope all my readers understand this.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Oblivion Stone is pretty slow. I've never had trouble dealing with it...

Not playing block constructed format myself, I can only think of Hum in the context of either Type I, 1.5, or casual play. It's not potent enough for tournaments. Casually, it's a much worse artifact hoser than other options. I guess that in Limited, since Mirrodin is so saturated with artifacts, it could be viable...

R

Rooser

Let me put it this way, against against a good ravager deck, if you didn't spend the first three turns slowing them down or gaining life then your fourth turn play had better sweep the board or at least stall some more. This does neither. By the time you play this, the affinity player can probably just kill you with a shrapnel blast and what's already in play. But then, this is also why I didn't like Molder Slug too much.

M

Mur

Ravager Affinity? Ravager Affinity? That's considered "casual" in your universe? Wow.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, it is in mine...

The poor Skullclamps need to find a home after being banned almost everywhere...