Awesome Cards

H

Homestar

Hey all, i was looking through my rare binder the other day and i am very dissappointed,. i have the worst rares, ever, seriosly.......i mean, if you wanna kno hopw bad they are, PM and ill post my whole rare binder. so basically, i am saving up to buy some expensive cards that everyone is gonna want so i can actually have some trade power. i need you guys to help me and tell me the best cards to order that everyone is gonna want.

This may sound very stupid but i am very desperate

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Not sure if this should be in a strategy forum...

But whatever works...

The cards people tend to want the most are the broken ones...

Something like Lion's Eye Diamond is broken, but harder to use, so not as sought after...

Whereas something that players can use without having to think, like Tinker or Verdant Force are highly sought after...

I'm not sure exactly what it is you want though, so it's hard to tell what to say here...

H

Homestar

where i play pl are more after type 2 stuff. so the kind of cards i am talkin about are like chrome mox and toth and nail and stuff like that, i juss need to kno all of the good ones i should order.

S

Spuky

im not sure, but here almost any legend is a sure shot, a lot of players collects them, and most of them are not that expensive

H

Homestar

yea, i was also thikiin about some dragons (i.e rorix bladerwing, crimson hellkite, kilnmouth dragon etc etc) and also some of the beacons from fifth dawn......

R

Reverend Love

This may sound crazy but lands. If you’re going to do your best to safely pursue the best cards, lands should be your target. Standard (type 2) is always hurting for quality mana sources.

Onslaught will be rotating out with the infusion of Champions of Kamigawa. Wizards probably put some good lands in this set...I'm willing to bet on it.They've got a history of doing this sorta thing. Go for'em.

Also just to prove my point, take a look at all the rare lands WoTC has produced in the last 6 sets.

Out of 12, only 3 (Riptide Laboratory, Unholy Grotto, Contested Cliffs) are disappointing. The rest have shown up in some type of capacity in netdecks and fetch a handsome price. The three I mentioned above really aren't all that bad, and are worthy trading material.

C

Captain Caveman

If I were a newer player and thought I was going to play magic
for awhile, then I'd just buy the Expensive rares to keep.

If you want to play Type 2 quite abit then I really wouldn't
consider anything before Mirrodin Block.(except 8th Edition)

Here are a few cards to consider:

Mirrodin's Core(non-rare)
Eternal Witness(non-rare)
City of Brass
Duplicant
Troll Ascetic

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
The lands thing doesn't seem crazy to me at all. I guess not just lands, but any quality mana producer, since ESG, Dark Rit, Sol, Ring, Grim Monolith, City of Traitors, Chrome Mox, even Thran Dynamo or the new Talismans are all valued to at least some extent...

But that doesn't mean to not discriminate. I mean, they might print more stuff like Polluted Delta or they might print more stuff like Wintermoon Mesa (I hope not). Should be common sense to use your own judgment on that though...

R

Reverend Love

Originally posted by Oversoul
The lands thing doesn't seem crazy to me at all. I guess not just lands, but any quality mana producer, since ESG, Dark Rit, Sol, Ring, Grim Monolith, City of Traitors, Chrome Mox, even Thran Dynamo or the new Talismans are all valued to at least some extent...

But that doesn't mean to not discriminate. I mean, they might print more stuff like Polluted Delta or they might print more stuff like Wintermoon Mesa (I hope not). Should be common sense to use your own judgment on that though...
So true, so true..or garbage like Tarnished Citadel *Homer Simpson shudder*

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Heh, not as familiar with newer cards (especially the really bad ones, since no one uses them) so I hadn't seen that thing...

It's like Mana Crypt and City of Brass had a baby and it inherited all the bad traits from both...

H

Homestar

yea, i think im gonna get x4 glimmervoid and the urza lands, and i already have 4 cloupost. so far i gave complied a list for what i have SO FAR:

Chrome Mox x4
Glimmer Void x4
x4 of each urza land
Platinum Angel x3
Eternal Witness x4
Mirrodin's core x4
Troll Ascetic x4
City Of Brass x4

Killer Joe

Trading Magic cards is like making money in this way: You have to HAVE money to make money/You have to HAVE tradable rares to get good/superior rares.

If you have to get superior rares for your trade binder, then why don't you just get the rares YOU need? Without an income that allows you to buy cards without thinking about it you're kind of caught between a rock and a hard place.

I HORDE my really tradeable rares because I'm usually USING them. I once had two Chrome Moxes. I decided that getting two more was not worth my time and effort so I put them in the old trade binder and got lots of stuff I really wanted/needed for them. It's in THOSE cases that I make the descision if I should want to keep a teir one rare or not.

In drafts, I also look for tradeable rares. This can only happen on picks one and maybe two for each pack. I opened this past Friday night in pack two a Darksteel Colossus. A playable card for my draft deck? No. but a hellava good trade binder cache.

I really wouldn't worry about having a "NICE" binder for right now. As a matter of fact, I see a lot of folks, especially young ones, put together a trade binder chalk full of broken rares only to really show it off as a "Look at MY rares" binder and then close the binder and skip the trade part. I HATE that. There are two kinds of binders that should not be mixed up: A trade binder, you know, stuff that you will actually TRADE and a "Showcase" binder, the Power Timmy one that you show what YOU have and what they DON'T have.

What was this about? I forgot. :rolleyes:

H

Homestar

i think i get what ur sayin but my binder stinks, ill post it:

Plated Slagwurm x2
Bringer of redness
Raksha Golden Cub
Beacon Of Unrest
Promise Of Power x3
Beacon Of Tomorrows
Isochron Scepter x4
Extraplanar Lens x4
Soul foundry x4
Sculpting Steel x4
Mirrodin's Core x4
Fiery Gambit
Trash For Treasure
Megatog x2
Confusion in the ranks
Okk
Mana Clash
Blinkmoth Urn x4
Disrupting Scepter x2
Grip Of Chaos x4
Vulshok Battlemaster x2
Ruhk Egg
Reversal Of Fortune
Reversal Of Fortune (foil)
Clockwork Dragon x2
Distorting Lens
Millstone x3
Dingus Egg x2
Tephraderm x4
Bloodcurdler (ooo yeah baby! big money here!)
Moriok Rigger
Havoc Demon x3
Tower Of Fortunes x3
Leveler
Mind's Eye
Possessed Portal
Krarks Thumb x2
Opaline Bracers (foil)
Reiver Demon x4
Swat (foil)
Spoils Of the Vault
Carrion Feeder (FNM)
Glorious Anthem
Leonin Sun standard
Vizzerdrix x2
Tower Of Eons
Jinxed Choker x4
Pentavus x2
Auriok Steelshaper
Story Circle
Leonin Shikari
Aven Brigadier x4
Sunweb
Loxodon Peacekeeper
Spectral Shift x2
Shoreline Ranger (foil)
Lumengrid Augur
Chromeshell Crab
Hoverguard Sweepers
Temporal Adept x3
Mystic Crusader
Glarecaster
Elite Archers
Auriok Windwalker x2
Loxodon Punisher x2
Blessed Reversal
Daru Warcheif (foil)
Sunken City x3
Shared Fate
Pulse Of The Grid x2
Extract
Retract
Archivist
All suns Dawn x3
Root Elemental
Tangleroot
Ancient Silverback
Elvish Pioneer (foil)
Decree Of Savagry
Blinkmoth Infusion

See, it stinks.........

H

Homestar

well, no one else thinks that when i try tomake a trade......

I

Istanbul

The problem is probably that the people in your area are what I call cherry-pickers. To cherry-pickers, there are two kinds of rares: Rares that go into Tier 1 (MAYBE Tier 2) decks, and rares that aren't worth the cardboard they're printed on. In that case, it's pretty pointless to try to trade with them, unless you want to sell all of your rares off, then go pay inflated prices for the hot new rares only to get undercut on what those people give you for them.

My advice? Use what you have to get what you want, but look into places like the Magic Online Trading League. If your folks really won't let you trade over the Internet, you may have absolutely no recourse at all unless you can find new people to play with. I know that a lot of good, playable rares in my trade binder have gone untouched for years simply because if it wasn't Standard $10+ rares, people were completely uninterested. And when the pickings for places to play got slimmer (that's another thing you might try, playing elsewhere), they basically took up permanent residence.

H

Homestar

I get what ur sayin...........and there are some cherrypickers at my league,

Killer Joe

Star City Games article writer Nate Heiss is from my area (Pittsburgh) and I've traded with him and have seen him in action. He pretty much thinks that most binders are chalk full of dollar rares (perhaps) but his binder is full of $5 rares and above. The problem is that a lot of his rares are the rares that everyone ELSE has. My City of Brass (mint) is worth $1 but HIS City of Brass (any condition) is worth at least $10 - $15.

I won't trade with him anymore.

Nice guy, though!

Homestar: Your binder looks just fine. But of course, to these Cherry Pickers (good title decsription Isty) all of your rares suck, even your best ones.

H

Homestar

i re-organized my binder and put all of my best rares in front....and 5thats how i posted it. and Nate Heiss is from Wizards........i read his building on a budget article every time he writes it.....i built a demon deck he wrote about and its great.

Killer Joe

I forgot he also writes for Wiz Co. :rolleyes:

I have my binder seperated into colors for each page. And I also try to buy new sheets whenever I can so as to make it look nicer :)