9th Edition voting by the users

Killer Joe

No worry. The Standard environment is too brutal these days for them to exist. They have gone the way of casual play alone. Pity. Five-Color Green (5CG) was my one of my all-time favorite archetypes.

My Choice:
Jade Leech

IMO, Jade Leech is NOT prudent in a green BIG creature deck, it would fit nicely into some kind of UGr Aggro-Control deck.

N

Notepad

I have to say Jade Leech is much cooler, though I've never used one successfully in a deck. Doh!

Nice to see Selecting 9th Edition is up and running. This should be fun, as well as inspiration for many an article across the net. Will we see anything as roar-inducing as Birds vs Elves? Hopefully.

Though, I'm glad the birds are gone. Hope that means elves come back!

K

kirby_1111

Actually, Elves are in. YES!!! :D Randy announced it when he mentioned that 9th would be player selected in his article.

N

Nightstalkers

Originally posted by kirby_1111
Actually, Elves are in. YES!!! :D Randy announced it when he mentioned that 9th would be player selected in his article.
Elves were okay during Invasion... they were horrid during the Odyssey-8th era, and now they're getting a little rancid in the Mirrodin block...

I dunno whether we should hail this as a new sign of life, or more of the same old green getting its beef on.

N

Notepad

Read the article again. Randy said nothing at all confirming that Llanowar Elves would be back. All he said for sure was that Birds would be out for 9E, but in "Control." He did mention players' affinity for Llanowar Elves, but he said nothing for sure which way or the other.

:mad: :rolleyes: :confused:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know, from what he says here:

By the way, we still believe that the Core Set only has room for one green creature that taps for mana and only costs G. Having two in the Core Set means Standard would always have a lot of very efficient green mana acceleration, and there would be no room left for us to do any more really good mana critters in expert-level sets. In addition to this, we think Elves are a much more iconic part of green than Birds are...
It sounds like there's only going to be 1 green creature that taps for mana and costs G. If Birds are out, that pretty much leaves an Elf, Llanowar/Fyndhorn-like incarnation (since Elves pretty much are the creature type that taps for mana in green besides Birds).

N

Notepad

I would like it if Llanowars are out, and I agree they are iconic, but I doubt they'll bring it back. They've been trying to weed out "complicated" names recently. So, they'll probably make a Llanowar clone in Kamigawa and just have it reprinted in 9E, the way they did with the new red Howl From Beyond and the white Sandstorm.

Bleh...

Then again, I'm still banking on the rumors that false trample will have a big impact once Mirrodin block hits shelves.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, three syllables is SO complicated...

I would consider it insulting to the consumers--if I cared.

But the replacements for Bloodlust and Twiddle had longer names than the old cards, didn't they? Why they wanted to make more powerful versions of cards that were already good enough, I don't know. I think it's worse than when they make a new card that sucks compared to the older version, like Stupor and stuff...

M

Mr_Pestilence

Jade Leech? Emporer Croc? Blinding Angel? Dawn Elemental? Who cares? This is simply sorting chaff from other chaff.

I guess every card has its use in the right place, but how about giving us some say so about cards with some play impact?

Even better, how about letting us tell them what we want?

This being 9th Edition, how about reprinting the power 9? How about dual lands, with appropriate hosers such as Strip Mine, Waste Land, Blood Moon, Price of Progress, Back to Basics, etc?

Type I cannot be taken seriously as long as hardly anybody has access to the cards.

Maybe we should send WotC a real message by refusing to buy 9th unless it has something worth buying.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
A lot of people would complain if they reprinted the old power cards. Probably none of them would commit suicide over it though. Personally, I think it's overdue and would love to see a set with all the Moxes, Time Walk, Wheel of Fortune, Necropotence, Stroke of Genius, Oath of Druids, Yawgmoth's Will, Land Tax, Balance, Fork, Ancestral Recall, Masticore, Library of Alexandria, etc, etc, etc, etc.

It would have to be a big set, you know, something incorporating all the broken commons and uncommons of the past as well as most of the rares, priority given to the cards that were printed in the fewest and oldest sets. Probably no new artwork on them or anything like that. And they would print A LOT of it. Not going to happen, but I would like it...

Edit: And forget the reserved list, obviously. Or have the crap that goes on there be the worst cards...