Arcbound Ravager

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, I got one thanks to train. Now I don't have a lot of other Arcbound guys, just some commons and not even a full set of each as I only have some that train gave me and what came in the booster with the Ravager. So I'm thinking for casual MP play what I can do given these limitations. I don't have any Enduring Renewals or Lifelines to get a loop going, which was my first thought. I've got one Power Conduit. So with my limitations, should I just put him a in a general deck right now with some artifacts and other ways to reuse them (Genesis maybe)?

M

Mikeymike

With only 1 he's definitely not something to build around yet. But...

Here are some cards he's great with:
Anything that has an effect when it goes to the graveyard: Myr Retriever, Junk Diver, Solemn Simulacrum, Onulet, Su-Chi, Cathodian, and Dross Scorpion come to mind.

Lightning Coils can capitalize your creatures going to the yard.

Hornet Cannon makes 1/1 hasted flyers every turn that die anyway, so you might as well sac them. There are other artifact token makes out there as well.

Disciple of the Vault punishes your opponent for your artifact sacking.
However, I don't necessarily think he is the type of card to combo with persay, I just feel like its a super-efficient beater, that works optimally with artifact creatures (esp. modular ones). Know what I'm saying?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Don't have the rares (Simulcrum, Coils) and not sure about the Cathodion or Onulet. I do like the Hornet Cannon and Disciple of the Vault. I'll try going that way.

D

DeathMaster666

You can try the new Stangg guy, Gemini something, and sac his token each turn. Train, I have some Lightning Coils that I'd trade for next to nothing if you want them.

R

Reverend Love

PM some of the commons and uncommon Arclowns you need and I'll mail them to you spidey.

N

Notepad

Atogs and Sage of Lat-Nam make great use of artifact sacrifice! :D

G

GauntletKing

Why is this guy selling for $10 on ebay right now?

That sounds like a price saying he wins a game all by himself.

Can someone narrate to me me a typical draw where he is that good?

N

Notepad

He's good in affinity decks. Goes good with weenie artifacts and Skullclamp. Overall, not a superelite card, but a great one. I personally wouldn't pay more than five bucks for one IRL...two bucks on ebay. So it looks like I ain't getting one.

If you want testimony on why he's super cool, head over to the "Will you use Arcbound" voting thread, and check out HOUTS' posts. ;) :D

T

train

I'm up for that DM666 - I'll post more soon in the depot...

Spidey - glad you got something nice and useful - and sorry about the skims on the freebies... the stack I stuffed in my pack going to Maryland was the wrong one... I grabbed my type 1 deck building stuff and it had those few cards you got from me... sorry...

"I didn't think you'd want all those type 1 cards anyhow!...":p

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Dude, no worries on the freebies, I wasn't even expecting to get anything at all, much less a Darksteel pack... :)

O

orgg

Ravager is the cornerstone of Ravager Affinity, a quite fast R/B affinity deck that makes great use of the card.

Search StarCityGames.com's article search for the articles on the archtype.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't want the archetype because I'm not trying to build a deck around him or get four of him (at least intentionally). I just wanted to know how I might be able to use one in a casual MP setting/deck.

T

train

I don't personally see the hype for Ravager... oh well...

ideas - infinite artifact token creatures - mucho biggo ravager...

N

NorrYtt

Arcbound Ravager is simply supremely effcient when surrounded by artifacts and artifact lands. He does quite a few things, and all of them for zero mana. After playing Magic for a time, you should realize how powerful zero mana abilities are. Examples of zero mana abilities that make for powerful cards are Psychatog, Wild Mongrel, Ravenous Baloth, Mogg Fanatic, and more (Quirion Ranger actually can generate mana with her ability).

Ravager turns any artifact that would die for any reason into a +1/+1 counter. Ravager at any time can turn all your artifacts into +1/+1 counters. Ravager at any time can move all its counters onto another artifact creature.

I've played against the Ravager Affinity decks. They kill you turn 4 every time if a Ravager hits. You block the Ravager, then he sacs his entire table, you lose 7 life from Disciple of the Vault, and the Ornithopter grows huge and deals the final 7 to you.

If it cost 1 mana per activation, it would be several turns slower. Ravager more or less works like Psychatog does, but Ravager needs lots of sac fodder where as Psychatog needed you to draw cards and play spells during the game.

T

train

Is no one running banishing, or infest, or anything against it?... at least against the disciple for the infest/ornithopter, and banishing the ravager?...

C

chris92

ravager affinity decks can keep up even with type 1 decks, during the tournament in which i participated around 9 participants were playing affinity decks, and they are quite formidable especially with lightning greaves.

T

train

they shouldn't be keeping up... equipping is at "sorcery speed", any swords, force or anything should be able to handle it...

What were the decklists - do you know?...

C

chris92

i don't know their exact decklists, but one of them splashed blue with echoing truth and get this...force of will