How likely are you to play Arcbound?

How likely are you to play the new Arcbound mechanic?

• I'm building a whole deck dedicated to it!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'll put a lot in an artifact-heavy deck.

• I'll use a few in various decks.

• Maybe I'll play one or two.

• Get this trash away from me!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
N

Notepad

Hey, HOUTS, I think you need to calm down, man. The Craw Wurm comment was so cynicism/irony, as the good Reverend clarified (even without the clarification).

The discussion about Ravager vs. Wurm is pretty much moot, but the whole thing brings up something I've been wondering about, and that is why so much tournament stuff gets posted here as if its relevent next to the casual headline. Sure, people can play both casual and tourney, but its funny to see crossover statements, like this. "Oh, my Affinity deck will just crush you before you even do crap. Star City and Brainburst are my proof." Uh...sure. We see crap like that, when we can also see the casual player say "I'll just dust off my Shatterstorm, Swords to Plowshares, and Diabolic Edict." You can sometimes figure the best card in a casual player's deck is going to be his Armadillo Cloak. Then get pounded when he pulls out a Wrath of God. The two totally different environments make a crossover discussion totally bogus.

Besides, there are places for tournament articles and topics. Why not go try them out at Brainburst or Star City? For a casual site, the Arcbound Clown Posse should be judged on a casual view.

H

HOUTS

"Okay, Houts, calm down.

This reminds me of a thread from a long time ago on the AUG boards where things got heated because multiple people weer incapable of noticing a basic semantics argument. I'd link the thread if I could because it was hilarious, (especially "

Um, dear idiot.

I am not mad, trust me lol. However your little joke, is funny too. Why? Because I should link your articles...
Oh yeah...

"Chill out, dude. We don't live in a cave. It's blatantly obvious that affinity decks with Arcbound Ravager are turbo good. We're just saying that, given five or six mana, we could probably do better than Arcbound Bruiser."

Good, then you don't mind when I express my viewpoint: REGARDLESS If you agree or not. I have every right, as you do, stepping in and pointing out obvious facts. Sure, you all might do more with the mana, but that doesn't mean your right.

And, please guys, give up the "Calm down", or "Don't get mad" thing.
It is getting boring. I am merely trying to help educate those who are casual players that might play on the tournament scene.
If it didn't apply to you, then ignore it.

Now, enough already, although I enjoy this mindless arguement, it is beat enough.

No more posts.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by SeFRo
why so much tournament stuff gets posted here as if its relevent next to the casual headline.
Some people miss the thread is for casual play, "casual play" means different things to different people, some just want to chime in their thoughts.

I thought HOUTS clearly expressed his thoughts for were Type 2 competitive play, although the near end statement
So the question shouldn't be how likely you ARE to play it, but WHY aren't you playing it already?
does seem to mean everyone should be playing it, casual or not.

However, on the other hand, affinity isn't limited to the tourney scene; plenty of "casual" players are trying affinity decks. And a tourney deck is a bit harder to play in MP, so what might work in single-player may need adjusting in an MP environment. Along the same veins, "casual" players may try Arcbound decks to see how they fare - an MP environment might be more forgiving than a single-player.

But back to the point - although this is the "Casual Players Alliance", we have never turned anyone away, whether they are casual or tourney players.

T

train

I was referring to the jajaja post - in which I saw no reference to type - now - on my part - there was an earlier reference - but it didn't limit the idea to type 2...

and my thoughts were:
Turn 1: Forest, spirit guide, vineyard, vineyard...
Turn 2: Forest - Craw Wurm

That sill leaves you at a minimum - 2 cards in hand... 3 if you drew first...;)

M

Mr.FuzzyBobo

I like the arcbound mechanic. I don't have much experience playing it in the hardcore venues or aggressive casual forums, but as a sideline to making "serious" decks I try to make decks entirely out of commons and see how well I can get them to stack up to the expensive decks. To me, it seems you can make a decent mono-blue arcbound commons deck. I know some of you probably revile Blue decks, but they're fun now and again. Anyway, the deck is composed of Arcbound workers, stingers, and bruisers with some vedalken engineers, spire golems, equipment cards (Vulshok Morningstar, Slagwurm Armor, Bonesplitter), and of course COUNTER! Anyway, I think it's a fun exercise attempting to make common decks and then you can try to lure your non-playing magic friends into learning on them with the incentive of giving them the deck afterwards.

R

Rooser

Hey, SeFro, the next poll should be about whether or not we think HOUTS is making an oink of himself on this particular thread.:D

And Spidey, this thread should clearly be moved to the Battle Arena. The guy called me an idiot, after all.:rolleyes:

HOUTS, you're my hero. You're the first person I've know who's been able to walk the walk without talking the talk. Consider your word choice and language above, and then consider how easy it might be for another person to assume that you're being pushy and arrogant. Given what you said, I'm going to give you the benfit of the doubt, but I don't think any of us should be crucified for thinking that your posts on this thread are a little offputting.

S

Snack

Guys, houts did not make an oink of himself. When I read the reply about craw wurm crushing ravager, i took it seriously because this is not Starcity or Brainburst Gold (Normal is crap), and anyone else who takes it this way is very liable to assume that in a website about casual play, a casual player may make a statement like that. In terms of type 1 and the turn 3 six drop, why would I want to play craw wurm when i could play a plethora of better cards that cost less, the same, or a bit more? Here are a few examples:
Less:Ravenous Baloth, Blastoderm, Molder Slug (i'm just staying in between the range of 4-7 mana, I cant think of many off the top of my head).
Same:Not any off the top of my head. Most of green's good fatties cost less or more. Silvos is an exception for now, along with multani. Rhox.
More:Verdant Force. One more green, a LOT more creatures, 1 more power and 3 more toughness. Thorn elemental, Krosan Tusker, etc.

Please understand what you are saying to your audience. I read the poll for this topic, and only 2 of the 10 people polled said they would only play one or two (ravager and perhaps worker). You didn't intend for it to have the meaning that came up, but all signs pointed to the idea that you were.

Besides, houts is really a good guy and he is trying to help people who don't know any better.

That's my $.02
Mike "Marty Burns" Hedden

R

Rooser

It's not really what Houts is saying that's bothersome, it's how he's saying it. He's being rude and flippant and dismissive. And verbally attacking me for no reason. I don't know why he's assuming I have a thing against the expression of his opinion when my post clearly stated that I agree that Arcbound Ravager is good in Type 2. He even quoted that line and he still accused me of "putting him down."

Besides my first post here was simply to point out that maybe there was some confusion about the poll since he kept calling Arcbound Ravager just 'Arcbound,' which might cause some confusion on a thread where everybody else is using the word 'Arcbound' to refer to ALL modular creatures.

And where did you come from, Mr. One Post? It's very suspicious that you're a new member and your one of your first insitincts was to enter the voting forum and defend Houts.:cool:

Anyway Spidey, you might as well erradicate this thread and tell Mr. Roney to post about something less controversial. We're obviously too immature to politely discuss the modular mechanic;) .

R

Reverend Love

Anyway Spidey, you might as well erradicate this thread and tell Mr. Roney to post about something less controversial. We're obviously too immature to politely discuss the modular mechanic
Nauh-Uh! You're not the boss of me! I'm not immature fart knocker..!

Now back to doing my taxes in Crayon..

R

Rooser

Are those casual taxes, or type 2 taxes?

Are your taxes goofy and powered by Power Nine?

Does your crayon have the modular mechanic?

R

Reverend Love

Casually powered type 2 taxes that when shredded allow me disperse the shreds amongst target pots for plant mulch.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I applaud you guys for not responding to the "idiot" remark. I agree that HOUTS was out of line there.

However, one remark a battle does not make. If you guys had continued it, this would have been moved, but since you all showed restraint, I think it can stay (for now).

I also agree with Snack's post in that here's someone who doesn't post too much on the boards and doesn't interact with y'all that much, so the Craw Wurm comment could be taken seriously, being on a casual board.

R

Reverend Love

This is different and strange..this...this type 2...I fear change and the unknown.

M

Mikeymike

You guys make me giggle like a Japanese school girl. "Tehehe!" (Mike delicately covers mouth with hand).

In light of this thread (or maybe in spite of), I will build a casual Arcbound deck that will include more than just the afformentioned Type-2 Deity that goes by the name Arcbound Ravager. It will be sublime, and all will kneel before its greatness (or kick its butt, however that wouldn't have nearly the dramatic impact).

S

Snack

I disagree with Spiderman. Houts was simply replying to an alleged insult made on arcbound ravager, by a CRAW WURM! That's the kind of thing where any decent player would slap some sense into the guy. It's the kind of thing you only joke about in real life, because you can't hear the tone of sarcasm in a written statement.

Rooser- I have been replying to articles outside of the forums for about two months. I don't usually post in the forums. Houts didn't even tell me about this; I did it of my own accord. I have known him for about four years, and I know that it is not his intention to upset people.

Marty Burns

R

Rooser

Yeah, yeah, Snack, I'm sorry for the jab there.

Anyway, I'm not so down on the mechanic, but I do think a lot of the creatures are overcosted. My ideas were to combine some of the more cost-effective ones with Ornithopters and Darksteel Brutes. Pasing those counters to flying or indestructible things could be some fun.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it seems to me HOUTS got the joke when he said
However your little joke, is funny too
so he couldn't have been insulted...

You know, he never really addressed the arcbound mechanic as a whole like this thread was meant to do, just the Ravager in particular...

H

HOUTS

*beats dead horse*

I won't comment on everyone's responses because I find it all very repetitive.

All I get is negitivity whenever I post a reply. Nothing I said was rude, or out of bouds. However, I find it demoralizing noone would come to my defense over a very silly Craw Wurm analogy.

I've written here for over 3 years, and always shown, in my articles and replies, that I care for the game and the people in it.

But, I don't take anything to heart that is said on here. Because you don't know me, and if you did, you'd understand how likeable of a person I am.

I am not going to reply to anything else. I'll let you guys keep on talking....

As I am tired of this bickering and mindless arguement.

Shawn Houtsinger

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
HOUTS: How does Arcbound, as a whole (using most if not all the creatures, besides just the Ravager) do in Type 2?

N

Notepad

Arcbound...too...controversal...

Maybe I should run this thread up the flagpole of a news-talk radio forum or something. I'm sure it'll be a breath of fresh air compared to "Is Bush a liar? Have Democrats chickened out of challenging him?" discussions.

Sorry I totally missed this week. I would've come up with another rousing vote, but my computer decided to die during a power out on Friday. But I'm back! I'll see what I can do for controversy next Monday.

There is no way Rooster could have been called an idiot. I think that was an indirect action, ala the Jyhad rulebook. Anybody can block it with their minion. Besides, roosters are very smart animals. You cannot call them idiots. It's the hens you have to worry about, looking for eggs they laid which magically disappeared after the farmer came by.