Remember when...

Z

Zadok001

:) Hey, when Turtle asked how people found out about the CPA, he made "Stalked by Orgg" one of the choices! How much more proof do you need?

"J/K"

T

theorgg

at least I recognised it's origine...

not too bad for somone who hasn't listened to the song in about a year...

and next time, Miss, it's just Orgg.

by the way, do you know who imitated Al to perfection on Toast? When he yells "_______ Toast!" it sounds just like him...
you have an mp3 player?

S

SerraPlainswalker

heh wow..its fun to reflect on all our old magic memories
i suppose i should share mine with you all

I remember...

...buying my very first magic cards...a homelands booster...i figured that if i stared at the cards long enough i would know how to play...then i gave up and asked the store clerk what the cards all did...

...finally giving up and buying a starter pack

...actually reading the rules

...discovering that i was probably the only person in the world who understood banding

...trading rares for a craw wurm because it was just so big!

...thinking that howl from beyonding a creature for 20 was the best way to win a game of magic

...playing with my starter deck until about tempest

...building a real deck...i believe it was my sliver deck..hehe it was fun...5 colors...all slivers...not a single other card

...going on a frantic hunt for sliver queens

...getting bored of my sliver deck and retiring it

...building my red with white spash ponza burn...i affectionately called it 'bye bye'...

...building my first combo deck...spikes + stampeding wildabeast

...starting to get good at teh game

...start building numerous decks at a time and attending social tournaments

...going to my first ever draft tournament and drafting every rare i could get my hands on...it was a five color deck...i remember..i got a mirri AND an eldamiri in that draft...needless to say i lost first round though

...beginnig to build decent decks that actually won games...like my serra avatar quicksilver angel deck

...frequenting draft tournaments and getting good

...and my most recent memory, coming in 2nd at a draft tourney today!!! yay nemesis draft...i actually drafted a nexus and an assendant evincar! yay me

V

Volradon

Not that anyone actually cares but here I go:

-Riding my bike down a street to my friends house and seing a yard sale so i stoped and locked at the merchendice on sale. The one thing that cought my attention was (surprise, surprise) a box of cards with "Magic the Gathering" writen on it.

-Buying the starter box with two "decks" for twenty-five cents.

-Reading the fourth adition rule book that came with it.

-Going to my friends house and playing magic by spliting my "deck" in to two.

- Playing it on a windy day so my cards go blown about every five minutes.

-Forgeting about magic for a long time just cause it got boring (hey,i didnt even know how to play back then"

-In fourth grade a bunch of kids bring in their tempest cards and me wondering if they are "compatible" with mine

-Actively playing in school a variant called mana drop where for every land u put down you draw a card and no one land per turn rule.

-Learning about a game shop near my house, "Camelot Comics and Games", where i learned the basis of deck construction

-Rarely playing people in person now I spend most of my time building new decks on a low budget.

-Pouring hundreds of dollars in to the game.

-Trying to quit every once in a while (it almost worked this time)

-Still convinced that WotC uses nicotene in magic cards

-Getting two foil serra's for $14.

-So far not playing even in a single tourney

-Joining Cpa

-writing this

-~~THE FUTURE~~~ (x-files music)

Volradon

D

Duel

- wondering who in their right mind would spend $10 on a pack called "Alpha"?

- Elvish rider beatdown!

- Craw wurm beatdown!

- hurricaning for 20 to win a game

- My first counterspell

- My first time having my spells countered

- My first time having my 20 point hurricane countered

- Enduring renewal, ornithopter, ashnods alter, and fireball

- My first deck, a 200 card black/white drain life-gain life deck

- Realizing that you could only have four of a card in there, stripping the deck down to 120 suddenly.

- Realizing that Merfolk can beat the hell out of goblins

- Realizing my first realization was wrong

- My first original combo (Island sanctuary and howling mine)

- Quitting when Weatherlight came out, because it sounded like a type of raincoat

- Buying tempest packs, not opening them

- Realizing my school played magic, opening my tempest packs

- Becoming infamous with my $6 suicide black deck

- Building my second combo deck (Windfall, megrim)

- Becoming infamous with that deck, getting squelched

- Becoming famous for necromancy spellbook on turn 1, before the errata

- Submitting my first article to the CPA (He told me it was reap!!!)

K

krichaiushii

-- Opting to buy only two packs of Legends and spending the rest of my spare cash on extra land, as that struck me as being more useful.

-- Being asked numerous times about my funky Tarot cards.

-- The majority of my college career consisting of the phrase "well, I don't have a test today, so I guess I can play some more instead of going to class".

-- The variety of people in that college group -- long-haired Josh, short-haired Josh, bearded John, married John, and just John. We weren't the best with nicknames... ;)

-- One of the group building a vicious R/G beatdown deck for his younger brother, then getting his brother to play and win all of the good cards at his high school.

-- Finally being accepted by my brothers's gaming group (11 year age difference, they've played together for about 20 years, and I used to be quite the pest...)

-- Buying a Mox Sapphire for $30, playing with it for two weeks and selling it for $30 and two Underground Seas.

-- Thinking I got a good deal.

-- Looking at the latest Scrye about three days later... and kicking myself ever since.

-- Aforementioned gaming group deciding to go in big with Magic and split a whole case of Homelands cards...

-- Getting orders to Korea and deciding to not bring cards, as I would have "important work to do".

-- Finding both Magic players and a dealer at the USO. Then buying lots of cards until I could get my shipped to me. So much for important work!

-- Playing against a gentleman in Seoul who used Moxes as proxies for other cards. Real moxes, not copies. I lost big time, but it was fun!

-- Becoming the last of the "old guard" at the USO as I was the last to leave from the original group in Korea.

-- Teaching numerous girlfriends how to play Magic. The current one is still around, and beating me regularly with a WW shadow deck I built "to teach her the basics".

-- Finding message boards.

-- Finding message boards that I can relate to, and posting to them.

-- Seeing people agree with my comments. (Always a good feeling).

That was fun...

A

Apollo

you know what would be fun in that Mana Drop format? 59 land (1 of them a mountain) and a Fireball.

C

Cateran Overlord

Could one of the founders tell me where I can find the intial posts of the "Sengir Army" and the formation of the CPA and such? This sounds like great fun to read :D

H

Hetemti

Trying to make out the meaning of the card "Forest"

Getting 80 used portal cards for $3.

Beating the "best player in the county"...i.e., the paumpos self-centered, kid who "never" loses.

...with the 80 portal cards.

...in the first game I played.

Getting a 6th ed. box, and instantly realizing that Rod of Ruin sucked.

Busted the paumpus kid for cheating. (Using clear sleeves, he marked lands by putting the hologram on the back instead of the front.)

Getting creamed by the guy who introduced me to Magic with his tweaked Phyrexian Assualt precon.

My establishing R/W as my best deck type. (Wall of Glare+Mask of Law and Grace kills a deck with no fliers. He added Molten Hydra for direct burn. I add Sanctimonies. :) )

Deciding blue sucked after Capsize locking my friend for 80 turns. The hatered for blue was amplified by the fact that my ear was tired, since we were playing over the phone. Yes...unlike the paumpous (if I spell it differenty every time, I'll get it right once) kid, some people are able to be honest.

Getting Sroke, Spiral, and Morphling.

Locking a seven player game with Pariah, Cho-Manno's Blessing Green, Mask of Law and Grace, and Serra's Advocate.

Removing the White for Green. The Viashino Cutthroats went on strike.

Having eleven decks at once.

Putting White back in. Started winning again.

Shirking 17 damage off with Bone Mask, then dealing 20 with a Mother of Runes and a Cutthroat. (They went off strike as soon as I put a Pains in)

Winning a three-player game by dealing leathal damage to all parties...with Cursed Scroll as offence and Worship as defence.

Getting an Avatar of Woe out first turn.

Losing a game because the Drain Life I needed was under a Swamp I didn't need.

Blastaderm turn 2. Blastaderm turn 3. Blastaderm turn 4. Blastaderm turn...oh...I won.

Hoping for a Foil Masticore. Getting Carnival of Souls.

First Legacy pack. Foil Brink of Madness.

One day, Foil Weatherseed Treefolk. Foil Ancient Silverback. Rofellos. Foil Elvish Piper.

Me 5. Him 9. He attacks with Spined Wurm. I Quicksilver Amulet the Tidal Kraken he traded me for some uncommons. I attack with Kraken and Growth it.

Arguing with a newbie over the meaning of XXR on Meteor Shower.

Opening a pack for a friend who bought a box of Prophecy. Foil Foil, Foil Rethink, Avatar of Will.

Buying a pack from him. Got Wintermoon Mesa. And Gargadon Minor.

Saying how much Lesser Gargadon sucked.

Putting three Gargadons into a deck, wishing I had a fourth.

Finding the Fourth on the floor under my table.

Winning with Gargadons.

Buying 4th Edition packs and selling the singles at a huge profit to a stupid kid who thought he was the authority on the value of Magic cards. (Mint Ivory Cup...He: You know I just ripped you off. Me: Yeah, but I need the $5.)

Playing Magic all night while watching 8-hour tapes of Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Doing it on a regular basis.

Building a deck with 4 Rods of Ruin.

Winning with it. Karn is some good when you disrupt your opponents concentration with crappy cards like Rod of Ruin.

And that's all I have to say about that.

H

HumanError

Oy, great memories, made me think of a few of my own (starts in chronological order then falls apart at the end)...

-Buying my first cards - a starter of Revised and two packs of Fallen Empires - on the basis that I loved the artwork.

-Learning how to play - incorrectly - by my then best friend. "Creatures can attack each other!" Oh man, rules quibbles aplenty, and Seasinger never ever saw the light of day.

-Getting brutalized by the actual Magic players in the area. Consistently.

-Seeing an Unlimited Icy Manipulator and not being at all impressed.

-Playing at the local comic shop until it closed.

-Winning with a Goblin Balloon Brigade loaded with three Giant Strengths.

-Trading a Shivan Dragon for a Rock Hydra, Rock Hydra for a Royal Assassin, Royal Assassin for a CoP: Black and a Shatterstorm. Because my best friend told me to. (He still denies it to this day.)

-Getting a Leviathan in my first pack of The Dark, trading it for four commons. (At least one was a Lightning Bolt.)

-Trying to make a set of Fourth Edition, tripping over my own legs with joy for the new look of the cards.

-Selling off the "parts" and trying to get out of Magic.

-Getting back in with my faithful mono-black deck, drooling over my Royal Assassin.

-Getting hazed for about four years on account of being a slow learner (at least, Magic-wise. I never picked up on major combos, or just never played them.)

-Getting mocked for playing "Standard Mono-Black." (Sengirs, Royals, Sorceresses, and Nettling Imps.)

-Thinking The Wretched is cool. (Still looking for three, by the way.)

-Completing my first set - a set of Chronicles.

-Watching an ex-friend trade off almost all of his cards for an Unlimited Time Vault...

-Promptly explaining to him (having ascended to the rank of Rules Guru) that he can't Twiddle and take more turns.

-Completing my second set - a set of Fourth Edition.

-Completing my third set - a set of Tempest.

-Building my first successful nonblack deck - a white Meekstone deck.

-Bludgeoning people with it.

-Building a Necropotence deck and falling in love with black all over again. (I still play that deck every now and then, with my two Ivory Towers.)

-Buying an IA Jester's Cap and an AQ Ivory Tower for $1 each.

-Trading online for four Sinkholes. (one Beta, three Unlimited)

-Pulling a fifth Sinkhole out of a grab bag and demanding someone trade it from me.

-Completing my fourth set - a set of Urza's Legacy.

-Getting a set of Urza's Destiny for my birthday.

-Trading for my fourth original art Icy Manipulator (one Alpha, one Beta, two Unlimited).

-Using said Icies in constructing the best deck I've ever made - a monoartifact deck which kills by Millstone.

-Working on my sixth set - a set of Urza's Saga to complete the block.

-Hating Masques block and dropping out of Magic due to Nemesis.

-Getting back into Magic due to Prophecy and it's big, stupid cards.

-Making my own set and watching it play superbly well in a booster draft tournament.

-Making another set and watching it falter and die at my 18th birthday party. The culprit? The shuffle-lands - a cycle of five of these (one per color, but the abilities are in color):
Phyrexian Encampment
Legendary Land
T: Add B to your mana pool.
B, Shuffle Phyrexian Encampment into your library: Add BBB to your mana pool.
They didn't look THAT broken...

-Seeing Invasion on MTGNews.com and drooling.

C

Cateran Overlord

What were the rest of the "Suffle lands?" This I've just gotta know. :D

H

HumanError

Even though it really isn't appropriate here, these were the shuffle-lands. I still feel stupid for not catching them ahead of time.

Eizar Fortress
Legendary Land
T: Add R to your mana pool.
R, Shuffle Eizar Fortress into your library: Eizar Fortress deals 2 damage to target creature or player.

Jade Garden
Legendary Land
T: Add one colorless mana to your mana pool.
1, Shuffle Jade Garden into your library: Search your library for any one nonbasic land card and put that card into play tapped, then shuffle your library.

Kimpath Academy
Legendary Land
T: Add U to your mana pool.
U, Shuffle Kimpath Academy into your library: Draw a card.

Phyrexian Encampment
Legendary Land
T: Add B to your mana pool.
B, Shuffle Phyrexian Encampment into your library: Add BBB to your mana pool.

Sargya Garden
Legendary Land
T: Add G to your mana pool.
G, Shuffle Sargya Garden into your library: Target creature gets +3/+3 until end of turn.

Trokair
Legendary Land
T: Add W to your mana pool.
W, Shuffle Trokair into your library: Choose one - Gain 3 life; or prevent the next 3 damage dealt to target creature or player this turn.

Tell me these aren't horrendously broken. :|

D

Dark Horse

Opening my first 2 starters, 2 4th editions and getting 2 Royal Assassins. 1 Serra Angel, 1 Gaea's Leige, 1 Millstone, and 1 Sorcerress queen.

Later that day trading both Royal Assassins for a wall of bone.

The day after giving my friend a sorceress queen for a terror.

Winning for the first time.

Finnally beating my friends black deck.

My first tournament.

Winning my first tourney. Getting 6 packs of exodus, the new set at the time, and getting 3 reccuring nightmare, 2 spike weaver, and an oath of leiges.

My first combo deck- Replenish

Opening a pack of Prophecy for a friend, watching him get a foil Alexi, foil rhystic syphon, foil chimeric idol, foil mageta's boon, foil greels caress, and foil wild might.

Looking at my cards yesterday on the toilet and marvelling at the understated beauty of the card Fountain of Cho.