Casual format?

M

mythosx

I been perusing (sp?) through many threads and I noticed although we are all casual players many people use different formats. I believe structure is necessary for games to work properly especially Magic. My group has adopted T1 for its casual format. We enjoy being to use every card but at the same time some stuff is just too strong. What do you all use?

N

Nightstalkers

I prefer to play in just casual games which are usually what you deem Type 1 or lower. Any cards can be used as long as proper deck building rules are followed.

Nightstalker Lazarus

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
My group is the same as mythosx, except they also don't want to use Unglued :(

Although they just adopted a rule that as long as the whole deck is Type 2, they can use 4 Chrome Moxes...

N

Notepad

I usually play in groups that stick to general Type 1 rules, but I've never had objections to when I pull out 40-card decks with only two total different spell cards in them. So, open game rules have been fine.

M

Mikeymike

My group plays Type 1, though we allow Unglued cards if they aren't completely obnoxious.

Basically though, if we know are going to be playing or want to play a deck that "breaks the rules", we just ask ahead of time if it is alright.

R

Rooser

Typically we observe, "it has to be legal in some format" but lately we've broadened it to "anything goes, we'll ban it with house rules if it annoys us." Typically, however, we just end up building "legal somewhere" decks. It's not like any of us are gonna put down money for 4 ancestral recalls anyway.

Oh, but we observe trhe standard limit of 4 of course, not that people wouldn't be against the occasional 8-of-sligh deck or something.

R

Reverend Love

Strictly Type 1, the only deviation being that of a few unglued and portal cards here and there.

Horsmanship :rolleyes:

N

Notepad

Horsemanship is awesome! I picked up some horsemanship soldiers just because of their unblockability. Haven't used them yet, though. Just seems majorly cheesy.

The card I wanna get is the tweak of Earthquake, where it does X damage to all non-HORSEMANSHIP creatures in play. Sort of like a Starstorm, but with more style. :D

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
60 card minimum, same as always
Only 4 of any single card, same as always
No Unglued, unless specified
Portal is accepted
No ante cards
Anything else goes

That's what I usually play under. My House rules here though also include-no cards from the sets Invasion and beyond...

V

Viriatha

We play T1 as well but in multi-player format. It's not unusual to have 6 people on the living room floor. This tends to mean larger decks. Mine is near 100 cards.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I've always thought that 60 card decks with the ability to finish off several opponents at once or recycle the contents of the deck are more profitable than decks that simply contain a large amount of cards...

Then again, there are a few times when big decks can be unusually good...

V

Viriatha

Mine is a black/white/green gain life, bring creature back deck. It seems to work well. I win often enough to scare my playing group when I smile :)

R

Rooser

completely open except blue is banned, huh?

Oh, and, train, I really think it'd be the sweetness if you could mosey on over the the "ide for train" thread.

Now.

T

train

Blue is not banned...

just islands, and anything that produces blue mana...;)

N

Notepad

That's a little harsh. I mean, nothing was ever wrong with a Birds of Paradise except that it made blue mana. Poor thing is green, too.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
That's cool, I can use Academy Rector to get Dream Halls out and play all my blue cards still...

T

train

you're right - you could use rector - or hunting grounds, or sneak attack... there's tons you could do - but I don't have to look at blue mana in the pool - and that's the biggest portion of keeping me happy!...;)

I can always deal with the rest...

And that would be an interesting deck idea - tons of blue spells - no blue mana!...;)