Remember when...

Killer Joe

It's human nature to keep hold of our past, for some of us, it helps define who we are, for others, it's a way to enjoy a moment over and over again. Magic certainly has been around long enough to have created a fond history within all of us here. Me? I can remember when some company was making card shuffling machines (what a failure, but a novel idea); I remember reading a Duelist advertising the very first block pre-constructed decks (Tempest-Best set EVER!); I remember playing against some weird deck called "Pros-Bloom" and having my ars handed to me; there are other memories I have but I want to share this last one, I remember being so excited to play a game of magic I would wake-up in the middle of the night, weird, huh?

I

Istanbul

...having a 81/82 Frozen Shade. The Unlimited version of Frozen Shade didn't say 'B: +1/+1 until end of turn', it just said 'B: +1/+1'. We didn't know the bonus went away. :)

...trading off this funny-looking black-bordered Shivan Dragon (that would be Beta) for four Antiquities commons, because it was the cool new set and I didn't have any money to buy packs.

...opening no more than three packs of Legends because it was undershipped and I could only open what the people who pre-ordered didn't want.

...asking my mom for a box of The Dark when it first came out, for my birthday.

...buying packs of Mirage for $2.00 and packs of Fallen Empires for 75 cents from the bookstore next door when I worked in the nearby mall.

...ordering a Dark-edition Inferno to complete my Dark set, then buying a pack on a lark, opening it up, and getting an Inferno...

...working at no less than three different stores that sold Magic cards at different points in time, including right now...

...going to my first tournament with a 200 card deck because I simply didn't know better...

...opening packs of Unlimited and Antiquities, but missing Arabian Nights by one week...

...selling out of Magic once, and forever regretting it, because I basically had to rebuild my collection from scratch (I'll never sell out again)...

...seeing an Alliances Balduvian Horde in one of the local card store's card binder for $40, looking in the latest Scrye, and muttering "$10 more than high Scrye? No way!"...

...my first theme deck, the Rampaging Kobold Hordes of Doom...

...selling a Black Lotus for $200 online, and considering myself to have gotten a pretty good deal...

...the first time I actually won a tournament with my Kortari deck, full of En-Kors and Soltaris...

...hearing a rumor that Bad Moons would be taken out from Unlimited to Revised, buying one, and using it ever since...

...swearing never to spend more than $10 on one piece of cardboard, a rule to which I've adhered for 5 years...

...a friend of mine giving his entire Magic collection to me, which included a very large amount of old Arabian Nights and Unlimited cards...

...my first deck, a white/green monstrosity that was so good that I actually retired and disassembled it...

...a time when combo decks simply didn't exist, aside from Lotus/Channel/Fireball, and that got banned pretty fast...

...opening a pack of Magic, getting a Mox Emerald, wondering why they made such crappy rares, and putting it with the other one I already had...

...a 24-person game I played way back in the day when Ice Age had just come out, that lasted for four and a half hours...

...my very first trade binder, a gutted AD&D Monster Manual that I put card sleeve pages into, the same one I use to this day...

...hating foils for three full months before finally accepting their existence...

...thinking that Shadow was the worst mechanic WotC could have possibly made, that it was incredibly broken, and refusing to use it for upwards of two months before finally realizing that I could use it, or lose to it...

...winning a foil Balduvian Horde when I won a contest on magiccampus.com about who could write the best article teaching a newbie how to play Magic, and my subsequent acceptance as a staff writer...

...posting vigorously on the mtgnews.com message boards before coming here...

...seeing a Kezzerdrix, grinning and thinking 'Rabid bunnies...must have!' and starting my collection (currently at 71 and counting!)...

...starting up a collection of Knights of all colors and rarities, discovering that green was the only color with no Knights, and reaching the 1000 mark on my Knight collection...

...making a Knight deck out of that collection that did some serious damage...

...and finally, writing this big friggin' post about the whole topic. :)

Excelsior!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Great ones, Istanbul.

I remember...

... hearing about this "new card game thing called Magic, wanna try it?" from my friends and not wanting to because comic books and Warhammer were already eating into my budget

... finding out that my friends reserved a couple of packs of Alpha for me "just in case", but telling me about it a couple of years later so of course the store sold them

... picking up the Duelist #2 and thinking "what the heck is this"

... finally buying a starter of Revised and trying to build a deck out of it

... rejoicing when land was no longer included in booster packs

... trading a Desert over and over among my friends for other cards we needed amongst ourselves

... continually losing to my friend's deck for ante with the aforementioned starter UNTIL I finally won a Serra from him

... buying a box of Fallen Empires, hoping prices would continue on their upward spiral like they did with the previous expansions

... buying Fallen Empire packs for $.50 - $.75 6 months later

... yet still didn't get any of the critial card needed for Thallid decks, the Spore/Fungus Cloud thing

... trading away a Dual for some red commons like Lightning Bolts

... seeing Duals go for $3 in a store and thinking "no way am I going to pay THAT!"

... ordering my first cards online, a Library of Alexandria for $20 and an original Sylvan Library after seeing Zak Dolan's decklist and trying to make it

... based my first constructed deck around ONE Elephant Graveyard

So many...

H

Hellion

I remember.....

-Playing my first serious deck (Wildfire Ponza), taking 19 damage from an Elf deck and winning 5 turns later after casting a Wildfire. I was a beginner then.....

-Brough a box of Ice Age boosters and NOT getting Necro, Jester's Cap or Deflection. :(

-But getting 2 Icy Manipulators, 2 Icequakes, 1 Sulphours Springs, 4 Incinerates, 4 Counterspells and 4 Giant Growths. :)

-Beating a really abnoxious guy with a Rofellos/Thorn E. deck with my first Ponza deck which wasn't even completed.

-That match started the craze of playing aggro control at my area.

-Getting my 4th Hypnotic Spector.

-Getting my 4th Lightning Bolt.

-Being Soul Feasted to death by some Yawgmoth worshipper.

-Meeting sore losers.

-Trashing arrogant Magic players.

-This is my favourite. Recognising Rath's Edge as a future power card and spending less than $10 for 4 of them. In the process, killing a few guys with it, debating furiously over it's usefulness in MtGnews Discussion Posts and finally see my efforts payed off when I saw that almost every MBC ran at least 1 Rath's Edge.

-Being recognised as the "Founder of Rath's Edge" at my area.

There could be more, but I guess this is enough.

S

seveninchcowboy

I remember pulling 3 rath's edges in a row and thinking how the hell am i going to use this? it sucks. i don't suppose you could tell me just what is so advantageous about this card, please? I'm just a lowly scrub so that's the only memory i have.

D

Duster

My best memory is in High School, seeing all the school dorks playing "Magic" and thinking to myself that I'll never bring myself so low. Then I found out a friend of mine played and he managed to get me into it, I loved it and got a bunch more friends to play :)

Also, about 3 months ago, I almost sold all my cards, but got nostalgic and kept them and now I'm playing/collecting again!

A

arhar

Man, this thread is AWESOME!!!!

Love all the posts.

Let me think about my favorite Magic memories....

(BTW - I started around Legacy, so no "Trading 4 Moxes for 4 Serra's memories ;) )

... in the middle of the initial foil craze, pulling a FOIL RARE !!!!..... Quicksilver Amulet, that is :( But after being offered $20, and then $40 store credit, I refused it all and finally accepted to trade it to the store owner for 4 Multani's, 4 Might of Oaks, and 4 Weatherseed Treefolk :))))

.... Making my first multiplayer deck - lots of white/blue soldiers, Urza's Incubator, Kjeldoran Outpost, Coat of Arms....

... vigorously defending myself from people that accused me of stealing it off the Dojo ;) "You started three months ago, WHERE DID YOU KNOW ABOUT THE OUTPOST?"

.... winning my first multiplayer game for ante with this deck....

.... going away to college and thinking about MAGIC MAGIC and more MAGIC all the time ....

... joining the CPA and writing articles about multiplayer.....

... triumphantly coming back for summer and quickly becoming a multiplayer king in my area...

... having realized there's nothing left for me to achieve in casual play, starting to go to tournaments and stop playing multiplayer altogether....

.... getting all my friends to stop playing it and prepare for Pro-Tour Qualifier as well...

.... one of the best feelings of my Magic life last Sunday.. when I won money for the first time playing Magic....

And so it goes on!

T

theorgg

...Getting invited to the Missississippi state championships due to my good record in the local type I tournaments w/ my green deck, one that looks extremly similar to modern day stompy. Gazzy Gazbaahn!

...Playing with the prototype deck of above for at least six hours untill dawn. He kept killing my scavenger folk off with his rod of ruin. if only I would have saved untill I could cast two of them...

...Joining the CPA and having three big celebrities agree to online interviews...

...having dreams about finding products real cheap. I had a dream about buying a huge stack of Ice Age starter boxes just last night... I think this game has warped me. I will go into no more detail on that dream.......

I have more memories, but theese are probably the ones I'm most proud of. and I look fondly on my old days.

M

manchot_13

...starting in the sixth grade with sixth edition and ice age...

...thinking boosters we stupid and buying only starters...

...playing starters straight from the pack, with no modifications...

...deciding to put all my favorite cards in one deck: leviathan, stream of life, healing salve...

...inventing multiplayer for our group (who all played with decks like above...

...wondering what banding really did...

...quitting magic for 3 years due to move...

...having someone ask me if i owned a black lotus...

...me going home and checking...

...starting magic again...

...having the concept of deck building explained to me (light clicks)...

...building my first real deck... karplusan giant beatdown...

...trading that balance for my karplusan giant number 4...

...being made fun of for playing snow-covered lands(i still do)...

...trading off lighting bolts, tolarian (for a basalt monilith)...

...finding out what banding did...

...winning consistently in multiplayer with my karplusan deck because everyone assumed it was harmless, "where'd a newbie like you get snow-covered land"...

...pulling my first serra avatar and becoming obsessed with it and building it into the deck it is today...

...wandering what banding really did...

...playing the magic the gathering original computer game and winning with blue...

...falling in love with blue...

...trading 5 rares for and Ertai, and being jested at for it... not regretting it to this day...

...continuing to play obscene decks and casual decks, like my tolarian prosp deck...

...wondering why there aren't ever any tournaments in mississippi...

...looking all over the web over the summer for somewhere to play magic...

...finding apprentice and concluding i liked doing it in aim better...

...finding CPA...

...building a banding deck...

...making up rules on banding to tell new players, anywhere from "it's flavor text... they just forgot to italisize it"... to "it basically says if i control this card until the end of the turn"...

we should make an article out of all these... or maybe found a humor section off of them...

M

manchot_13

this seems strangely appropriate here...

...posting my 50th post on CPA...

F

Fire Slinger

...when I first started Magic. I took my best friend to a card shop so he could play this magic game that made no sense, and then trying to figure out how to play the game for the rest of the day.
...the first game I won.
...opening my first pack of Urza's Destiny and getting a Refellos. I'm still the only person in my multiplayer group who has one.
...playing in my first touranment.
...playing against one of my friends ProspBloom deck, and then spending a week figuring out how it worked.
...my first foil rare (Rushwood Elemental)
...my first Morphling (My favorite card)
...getting third place in a touranment.
...making a multiplayer deck and having everybody build decks just to stop it.

[Edited by Fire Slinger on July 19th, 2000 at 12:24 AM]

H

Hawaiian mage

-Wanting to start playing magic(during the time legends came out) and not wanting to start becuase it was just another fad that would die in a few months *shudder*

-Makeing my own magic cards een though I had no Idea how to play the game.

-Playing pokemon when it was new.

-Starting magic(when legacy came out.)

-Playing portal.

-Thinking a 5/4 that had the equvilent of Islandhome was the best card in the game.

-Seeing Scaled Wurm, and getting it for $0.50!

-Seeing Denizen of the Deep(a blue portal 11/11)

-Playing Unglued, thinking it was legal.

-Playing 200+ deck called "Geae's Advantage" that basically was every card I could use with the amount of lands I had.

-When forests were a preciouse comodoty.

-Finding out Portal and Unglued were illegal to play.

-Tradeing avarage pokemon card for Shivan Dragon and Serra Angel revised.

-Makeing a red and white deck that kicked ***.

-Haveing the deck get stolen.

-Joining all my cards with the cards of my best friend.

-Looking through cards, find a Masticore, and passing it up as a useless rare.

-"Urza's Saga is one of the worst expansions. All the cards suck except for a few of the commons, like venimouse Fangs and Rewind. But look at this card, Tolarian Academy. The commons are better then the rares! It sucks!"

-Opening pack of saga, takeing out the cards, and then putting proxied cards back in and sealing it to look shut.

-Tradeing the pack for a rare and luaghing my *** off when he saw the cards inside.

-Foil Ywgmoths Bargian!

-Combineing cards again with another person.

-Nemesis Prerelease.

-Prophacy prerelease.

-Yesterday.

-Breakfast.

-Writeing this.

Yup, that's about everything I can remeber.

B

Baron Sengir

I remember ...

When my friend's Giant Oyster used to just tear up my deck.

When I had never heard the word 'erratta.'

A multiplayer game in which three players all had a Coat of Arms on the table and were cranking out tokens like crazy. We had hundreds of Slivers, Saprolings and *ahem* Penis (thanks to Volrath's Laboratory) tokens on the table, each with power and toughness in the hundreds. The end wasn't pretty.

My weird voodoo magic preventing my friend Jaimie from ever beating me.

Suggesting the need for a group such as the Casual Players Alliance on the Dojo forums and making the acquaintance of the rest of the founders.

Getting screwed over by Doust.

My first foil card (Deranged Hermit)

Trying to teach my girlfriend to play. (didn't work)

So many memories around all those little pieces of cardboard. God, I love this game.

I remain
The Baron
Sentimental fool

T

The Undertaker

As I sit back for a moment and remember some of my fondest memories....

- Reading about Magic in the newspaper and going to a game store, for the first time in my life, to buy a few packs of revised.

- Playing Magic 24 hours straight with my brother and best friend the first night we all bought cards.

- Thinking..."I can not believe I am going to spend $90 on a box of revised" and subsequently thinking that I would never need any other cards than that.

- Seeing all the moxes selling for $8 and thinking that is a rip off.

- Later buying a single mox for $100 thinking I got a good deal.

- Every Friday or Saturday night getting together with a group of friends playing Magic for 6 to 8 hours on average over a two year time span.

- Playing in my first tournament (two-headed giant format) and beating a group that had 200 card decks with mostly walls.

- Playing the next opponent looking at all his Legends, Betas, etc thinking I need to get better cards as we got spanked.

- My first Chaos Orb.

- The enjoyment of making the kill with some of the stupidest creatures in the game. I own proud victories using the Raging Bull, a sheep token, a butterfly token, Brass man, and my favortie accomplishment..the singing tree. Granted the singing tree is a good card but we had all been trying to kill one another with that card for about a year and I was the one that finally accomplished it.

- The way anyone in my group would go out of their way to eliminate a new card someone just bought and was so proud of. I remember someone had out 24 lands and played their first mox they owned and it was contered to be annoying....ahh that was fun!

- Tired of wasting money on bad expansions like Fallen Empires or Homelands, sold my collection and truly regretted it ever since.

- Building back my collection stronger than before after seeing Stronghold and Urza's Saga.

- Getting my best friend, who is very tight with his money, to spend over $10,000 over the years on cards.

- Me spending more than him.

- My fondest memories are all the good times I got to spend with my best friend and my brother. With all the money spent, the headaches of annoying people at tournaments, countless bad hands...I would not trade it for anything in the world because of the enjoyment and time with friends it has brought me.

M

Mikeymike

-Starting out playing Portal, thinking Steam Catapult was the most broken (unfair at that time) card in print. Still is a good card.

-Almost having an accident the first time I saw an Endless Wurm, and then I saw a Serra Avatar!!

-Seeing a Sneak Attack deck in action for the 1st time and almost having an orgasm.

-Playinng with that Sneak deck and getting to use a Black Lotus, Ancestrall Recall, 2 Moxen and 8 Dual lands

-Playing against a Hypnotic Specter for the 1st time thinking "WTF, was Wizards run by a 12 year old when that card was printed?"

-Beating my friend and 5 year Magic Vet's Type 1 tourney winning Goblin deck w/ a B/U creation made out of the 300 or so cards I had owned up until that point.

-Trading away a Bad Moon for a deat-up Dragon Whelp and a Syphon Soul (hey, it was my 1st Legends card)

-My first combo deck, consisting of 1 Angelic Chorus and 1 Phyrexian Processor, they came side by side in a Saga starter.

-Seeing Aluren for the 1st time and thinking how cool it would work with the 3 Equilibriums I owned.

-Winning a booster draft of 8 people with 3 months of Magic under my belt. My reward, 9 packs of Destiny. Inside, Rofellos, Phy Negator, Wake of Destruction, oh yeah and 2 Masticores.

-Trading a Quicksilver Amulet for another Masticore that same day b/c no one in my group thought the card was any good.

-Getting my 4th Aluren and building my 1st good combo deck, only to have it be banned from my group w/in one week.

-Seeing the Mercadian Masques spoiler and thinking the set was boring.

-Seeing the cards and hating the artwork (with a few exceptions)

-Announcing that I'm trying a new deck, and seeing at least 1 deck w/ a scour in it the next game.

-Having Opposition, Aluren, Survival, Pandemonium, Martyr's Cause, Mana Flare, Parallax Wave, and Citadel of Pain all Scoured w/in its 1st 2 turns of play.

-Playing against my friend's "1 of every card off the type 1 restricted list" deck and nearly vomiting.

-Trying to play a combo deck drunk as a skunk, vomited shortly afterwards. Still don't know if the deck had anything to do with it.

-Being accused of stealing net-decks b/c 1 of the guys in my group sucks and is a sore loser.

-Building an all commons deck to prove him wrong, and kicking his tushie.

-Having 10 months of Masques under my belt, still think its a boring set.

-Many great times and multiplayer games. Wouldn't trade these memories for anything.

A

Apollo

...seeing all my friends playing and vowing not to get addicted to another craze (comics, action figures)

...subsequently spending way too much money on it

...losing my first game to an Obsianus Golem--the best card ever--or so I thought until I saw Deep Spawn and then Scaled Wurm :)

...building my first real deck, a four-color piece of junk

...playing in, and winning, my first tournament--a "rig your deck" tournament (really! it sucks! try it!)

... buying my first pack of revised and getting a Demonic Tutor

...trading it for a Nettling Imp

...Buying the "Flames of Rath" preconstructed deck and discovering that 7/7 creatures weren't the way to win games

...finding the Dojo and checking it twice a day (back when it was good

...winning a Mox in a tournament

...vowing never to pay more than $5 for one card, a vow I've never broken, except for the above Mox (a $7 entry fee)

...getting my pride and joy, a foil Deranged Hermit

...getting it stolen

...getting Masticores and sticking them in the bottom of my box because I thought they stunk

...wondering what that Academy thing was

...winning tournaments at my local store 8 weeks straight (competition didn't used to be very stiff)

...coming in third and being miserable for days

...Magic Jackal inviting me to the CPA when the Dojo disappeared

...being so proud to get my 100th post

...playing in my first sealed tournament, the Prophecy prerelease, and winning a prize (not sure what place, though... they didn't announce top eight)

...my current 5 week winning streak at the local store (competition's better--but so am I, and I have the added advantage of being incredibly lucky)

Apollo

E

ErinPuff

- Watching my brother and his friend playing Magic on the playground one day, so many years ago...

- My brother decided to teach me to play, but...

- They didn't really know how to play. Alex (his friend) didn't like the rules and so he made up his own rules... so that's what my brother taught me.

- You had to play all the land in your hand each turn

- Maximum hand size was something screwy... I think at the beginning of your turn, you had to draw to seven..

- Thinking that it wasn't fair if you knew what cards were in your deck (I still laugh at myself for this one)

- Playing a game with him where our decks consisted of a hundred or so cards we randomly picked out of his shoebox

- Trading an island for a plains in the middle of the game because I needed to cast something white

- Thinking that walls could block flying creatures (I think the first wall I ever saw was a Wall of Air)

- Getting the "Duels of the Planeswalkers" game for my birthday

- Realizing that I had been playing WRONG all that time

- Teaching my brother the real way

- Making a deck on DotP consisting of... 20 islands and 40 Prodigal Sorcerers

- On vacation, playing a two week-long game consisting of all our cards and no maximum hand size (I won, by the way)

- An hour-long counterspelling session (giving me a splitting headache..) spewing from the bowels of said game

- Finally learning the basics of deckbuilding

- Trying to teach my brother the basics of deckbuilding

- Teaching my mom to play Magic last week (That was hard...)

- Her getting mad at me when I beat her twice in a row

- Her thinking to unsummon one of my sleeping enchantments that had turned into a creature (don't remember which one)

- Searching through my cards yesterday and realizing I had a Morphling that I never knew I had...

Z

Zadok001

-- Learning the game by watching people play. Then handing them their heads.

--Games with my best friend with over 300 card decks: Everything we owned.

--Getting my first Starter packs, and building a deck by shuffling them together without even looking at them first.

--Building my first <100 card deck, a Black/Blue creation featuring the most ugly supply of countermagic and fat black things you've ever seen.

--Thinking "Ice Age sucks, they reprinted Icy Manipulator! I quit!" And quitting.

--Finding out 30% of the people at my new school played, and digging out my old deckbox again.

--Discoving the Dojo, and lurking on the message boards.

--Posting on the message boards.

--Looking at Greater Good, and thinking, 'Wow, that's a good card!'

--Looking at Weatherseed Treefolk and thinking, 'Wow, what was that other good card again?'

--Building my Greater Good.

--Milling people to death with my mono-green Greater Good deck. (I'm so proud of that, it's my big accomplisment in life: I mill people for 60 with a mono green deck. :) )

~CPA MEMORIES~

--Flaming, and being flamed by, Baron Sengir and several of the other original Founders (who said we always got along?).

--Hearing about Baron's idea for a 'Sengir Army,' a group opposed to focus of Magic on the Pro Tour, and ignoring the casual players.

--Being one of the first guys to email Baron about it, 'cause I was on the boards when he posted it.

--Changing the name to Casual Player's Alliance as requested by Ferret, since Sengir Army was to military-like. (And I ask you, who needs that kind of bueorcracy?)

--Looking at Ed's original possible logos for the site, and ROTFLMFAO about the tagline he had on one of 'em: "For the greater good of the MtG community." Obviously, that one got my vote. :) Then he changed it... :)

--Getting screwed by Doust.

--Getting pissed at Doust.

--Getting hosting by this wonderful site. :) Danke SO much!

--Having Baron post a message about the CPA on the front page of the Dojo, introducing the community to it.

--Getting said post flamed.

--Flaming RIGHT BACK AT 'EM. :) Twice.

--Realizing this was the first flame war I'd been in on the same side as Baron, and realizing he was damn good at flaming. :) No offense, it's a Good Thing(tm), nice skill to have.

--Having the CPA begin to succeed, despite the warnings by the opposing flamer that it never could.

--Watching membership grow daily.

--Having Orgg stalk Chaos Turtle until he joined up. :)

--Realizing this place rules!

--The rest, most of you know.

"Maybe reality can be cool at times..."

T

theorgg

I DID NOT!:)
LOL!

E

ErinPuff

ah, Mr. Orgg, sir?

it's

"All you need to understand is everything you know is wrong" :)