Homarid Spawning Bed Owns Your Soul

D

Darius099

Yes, it's true, break out the Fallen Empires.

U/R/G Homarid Toy Box (If you don't get the reference, you need to graduate high school first, then come and whine to me)

Blue
4x Force of Will
4x Accumulated Knowledge
4x Mana Leak
4x Scornful Egotist
4x Jolting Merfolk
4x Homarid Spawning Bed
3x Wonder

Red
4x Lightning Bolt

Multi-Color
3x Fires of Yavimaya

Artifact
4x Vibrating Sphere
2x Icy Manipluator

Land
3x Glimmervoid
4x Volcanic Island
4x Taiga
4x Tropical Island
5x Island

Alright, here goes...

Get out Spawning Bed. Build up a Vibrating Sphere or two in your hand. Morph the Scornful Egotist into play. Make sure you have some counter, at least a FoW with a blue card, or a Mana Leak if you must. Fires is not essential, but it slows you down, and a Pyroclasm/Wash Out can ruin your day. When you are ready to swin, drop the Vibrating Sphere. The Wonder is gravy, like the Fires.

Voila!

Commmmmmmmmmmmmmbo!

The Merfolk can sac when used up, and eliminate blockers, the AK speed you along, and the Icy can also stall your opponent.

It's... as they say... perfec`tion. ;)

As for me? 3 more Sphere's and I'm running it next week at a store tournament. heh heh...

M

Mikeymike

This deck is awesome. Homarid victory is a stylish victory for sure.

Suggestions:

Tears of Rage instead of Vibrating Sphere.

Tears of Rage - 2RR
Instant (U)
Darksteel
Play Tears of Rage only during the declare attackers step.
Attacking creatures you control get +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is the number of attacking creatures. Sacrifice those creatures at end of turn.

You're willing to kill your critters anyway, but this only kills your attackers instead of everything. This actually boosts their power far more significantly than the Sphere, plus its a little more sneaky and naturally a better effect being that its attached to a instant instead of a permanent.

Instead of Fires of Yavimaya, consider running Anger. It isn't as immediate, but you can sacrifice it to the Spawning Bed for 4 tokens.

Also, I don't know if it fits the theme, but if you do go with Anger (and Wonder of course) you could run Intuitions along with a single copy of Gigapede. You Intuition for Anger/Wonder/Gigapede, and with the Gigapede it always ensures that you get Anger/Wonder into the 'yard. The fact that Intuition is also quite strong with Accumulated Knowledge is a plus as well.

Also, instead of the Glimmervoid (which currently you've only got 6 artifacts to run with, 4 of which you hold back in your hand), run some fetchlands to fetch your duals.

Maybe something like this
-3 Fires
-2 Wonder
-3 Glimmervoid

+1 Anger
+1 Gigapede
+3 Intuition (maybe a 4th)
+3 Fetchlands

You'll probably want to drop the Taigas, but Gigapede with Anger/Wonder and Homarid Spawning Bed tech is quite dangerous.

Hope this helps.

G

GauntletKing

I can't find the wording on spawning bed, but I thought you can only sac blue creatures to it.

the victory is very stylish, and will cause some serious trouble for sideboards when they realize so much focus has to be turned to what looks like nothing but draw go in the early game. Opponents may fall into their practiced ways of trynig to draw offensive counterspells from you until they are too late...
nice build.

M

Mikeymike

Your right Gauntlet King, I just double-checked on crystalkeep.

Boo!

EDIT - Gauntlet King, also talk to Spiderman on these boards (M-Th usually). He's got a play group in Baltimore.

N

Notepad

Yet another awesome deck that would make a good article on the front page. ;)

13NoVa

If you havent already, take a look on my post in the affinity-storm deck. have some fun reading! hows that work for a frickin article?

D

Darius099

Well, I'd love to do a column or something, but it would have to be weekly, my internet is just plain CRAP for now, it could be months before I have regular (daily) access. :D

I like the suggestion on the Darksteel Uncommon, I may run that. I basically wanted to run the Vibrating Sphere because it's damn cool. I may consider Tinker, but I need something to Tinker first. Other ideas are Fabricate (thanks Master Shake) and Intuition, (which, sadly, I don't have).

I am going to stay away from the Gigapede/Anger idea, although it is good, it kind of spreads me out, and complicates more. I need to go off fast, turn 5-6 is best, but the deck is very draw dependant right now. Other than that, I may consider Powder Keg a little more, and perhaps Cursed Scroll to eliminate some early threats. The deck does tend to take a beating early on.

Now to post some other classics from the depths of my troves of old decks. I had an interesting build with Orcish Cannoneers once, it even took me to the semi-finals of a store tournament.... ;)

~Darius099

N

Notepad

Advice to anyone and everyone interested in writing: Writing articles never has to be a regular column. When you feel like it, please do. If you are interested in writing a regular column, don't rush yourself to crunch ideas in order to meet deadlines. What matters most is that you share your ideas so that folks can read it. Keeping to a regular schedule should be a secondary goal that depends more or less on your ability to come up with interesting ideas and having the time to write them up.

So with that in mind, don't worry about your computer's internet connection, Darius099. Try writing an article, submit it, then when you can, write up another one. If you find the process can be completed in a timely and orderly schedule, that would be awesome to see a regular column on the front page.

You mentioned a trove of old decks. Well then, that would make a good theme for a column. But for starters, try out an article or two about your decks and see if you like the process.

I

Istanbul

Awesome, another living soul that loves Homarid Spawning Bed!

Have you considered combining it with black for cards like Coffin Queen and Grave Pact? Use with Thalakos Seer (a repeatedly dying Seer is a card machine), Aven Fisher (same), Merfolk Seer (again), and Whirlpool Drake (rearrange my library? don't mind if I do). And, of course, Mr. Egotist.

I dig you. :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It's true, articles don't have to be in by a certain time here at the CPA. Basically whenever it comes, I'll post it.

Mikeymike: GauntletKing has already talked to me about playing together in Baltimore - unfortunately, I can't play all that regular and the times that I can play are not usually equal to his :(

T

train

We might just have to kidnap spidey for the weekend and torture him by having him "game" all weekend sometime...

"I'll start padding, and sound-proofing the walls..."

T

train

"Would Mrs. Web-slinger and Zephyr mind getting kidnapped and gaming all weekend...":p

I'm really glad my wife keeps encouraging me to go to Austin/San antonio/Houston to play in the qualifiers... but the hotel money, and gas alone is enough for an entire box of cards!!!... Add to that meals, entry fees, purchases, etc... and I could have another box!!!...

It's all about the cards... besides - who wants to sit in a poorly ventilated, smelly, follicle infested conference room?...

Besides me - every now and then!...:p

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, yeah... the wife isn't as into gaming as I am... she'd probably be bored out of her mind :)