Extended Legal Affinity

N

neomanceristaken

I saw an Extended Affinity deck a while ago; Grand Prix Anaheim, I think? Anyway, it looked pretty schnazzy, and I was wondering what your thoughts on it are?

4x Frogmite
4x Myr Enforcer
4x Broodstar

4x Bonesplitter
4x Tooth of Chiss Goria
4x Aether Spellbomb
4x Pyrite Spellbomb
4x Chrome Mox
4x Welding Jar

4x Thoughtcast
4x Thirst for Knowledge

4x Seat of the Synod
4x Great Furnace
4x City of Traitors
4x Glimmervoid

T

train

Personally , it has blue in it... so I don't like it...

and all you need to play against it is Damping Matrix, and Shatterstorm...

Other than that it's play strength is extremely quick and strong...

N

neomanceristaken

Well, damping Matrix slows it down, and of course shatterstorm is huge...but shatterstorm is almost always huge, if it's being cast. And without Tinker, damping matrix has to actually be drawn and cast. I'm not saying that's impossible, but it does seem unlikely that them spending their second or third turn doing essentially nothing is better than the six-eight power of creatures I've got out that quickly.

T

train

The main reason I mentioned damping matrix, is because it is frickin' awesome in current play - they can't equip, they can't spellbomb, they can't regenerate the ascetic, etc, etc...

The main reason I mentioned Shatterstorm was because it would see current play before meltdown... IMO...

There's a lot you can do, but probably the best is to just throw rule of law out there, and slow the deck down to a manageable speed, then drop the damping matrix, or other control...

I

Istanbul

Extended just isn't going to work if you're playing a deck that relies on a single big creature to put the smack down. And I'm sorry, but the Enforcers just won't be enough. And LOL @ Frogmite.

Viashino Heretic will eat your lunch.

T

train

The best thing I can think of for this to be effective in extended is brain freeze maybe...

get rolling with tons of spells, and brain freeze with storm...

but as the rest of us have stated, there's too much in extended that can just eat at artifacts... and anyone knowing the environment after New Orleans is running some of those controlling cards...:cool: