Crucible of Worlds

O

Again I come into your humble domain with accusions and conspiricy.

the new "you make the card" that wizards will be printing in "fifth dawn" called Crucible of Worlds may be rather BROKEN. Here it is for those of you who dont know what it does:

Crucible of Worlds 3
Artifact
You may play land cards from your graveyard as though they were in your hand.

...Does this mean i can finally have that 99/99 wild mongral i've always wanted? Hell, why even stop there. I attack with my One million/One million mongral.
After all, Mongral says "discard a card from your hand to give him +1/+1 and change his color untill end of turn."
and i can play my land cards from my graveyard as though they were in my hand. thats great.

now this chrystal quarry i think it's called. Tap, Sac: add two colorless mana to your mana pool. with the combined might Fast bond. you may play as many lands you want this turn at the cost of one life per land. whats 19x2? 38. thats 38 colorless mana.
whats that Three colorless mana artifact that lets you draw a card every time you play a land?:eek: THATS ALOTTA CARDS!

anyways, i hope theres a rulling on this card when it comes out that doesnt make it quite so...how shall we say, broken.

and with that, i bid you all Good night!

H

Hetemti

] ...Does this mean i can finally have that 99/99 wild mongral i've always wanted?
No.

] After all, Mongral says "discard a card from your hand to give him +1/+1 and change his color untill end of turn."
and i can play my land cards from my graveyard as though they were in my hand. thats great.

Great if you intend to *play* it as though it were in your hand. Not if you intend to *discard* it as payment for the cost of an activated ability.

] now this chrystal quarry i think it's called. ... whats 19x2? 38. thats 38 colorless mana. ... THATS ALOTTA CARDS!

Fastbond/Zuran Orb with Cruicble has already been proposed as infinite mana/life.

] anyways, i hope theres a rulling on this card when it comes out that doesnt make it quite so...how shall we say, broken.

It's far from broken. Just strong.

T

train

I'll agree with Hetemti - it is very strong... but all it takes to break one of the infinite cycles is a disenchant... naturalize, shatter, etc...

so it's strong - but not broken...

And the Mongrel trick doesn't work per definition of discard.

Same spells work to dispell the quarry draw...

There shouldn't be any rulings on this card - it'll just be in sideboards, and some main decks...

What i can see someone doing is Atog + Crucible + Fastbond!!!... with the new artifact lands of course...;)

R

Reverend Love

I think we talked about this earlier.

I see land destruction taking off in casual groups utilizing this card.

Wildfires, Devastating Dreams and a few others come to mind.

Crucible of Worlds
Devastating Dreams
Yavimaya Elder
Terravore

....that's not even trying and it looks like it's got potential. Throw in 4 Explorations and things get even more retarded.

R

Reverend Love

Hey train that sounds pretty interesting... After dropping a Devastating Dreams follow it up with a Tempting Wurm...hmm..

****Added Later****

Hey you guys wanna try and build something out of Crucible in the deck forums? It worked pretty well last time.

M

Mikeymike

Number 1 on me list...Trade Routes (besides Fastbond/Exploration of course)

Everything else...
Zuran Orb / Overgrown Estate
Sylvan Safekeeper
Crop Rotation
Smokestack / Braids
Mox Diamond
Goblin Trenches
Squirrel Wrangler
Upheaval / Sunder / Armageddon / etc.
Army Ants
Constant Mists
Squandered Resources
Excavation
Harrow
Mana Vortex

Then the lands themselves
Strip Mine
Wasteland
Dustbowl
Crystal Vein
City of Traitors
Gemstone Mine
Lake of the Dead
Quicksand
Barbarian Ring / Cephalid Colloseum / etc.
Mirage / Onslaught Sac-lands

My goodness, Zuran Orb / Crucible / Fastbond is infinite life/mana - and in Trade Routes and it motors through the deck as well for Stroke/Torch/whatever.

R

Rooser

I proposed this somewhere else , but it's a good idea so I'll put it here too. Since the combo give both infinite mana and infinite life at the same time, there's no reason not to include 1 earthquake as one of the kill conditions, just because it gets around Ivory Mask or True Believer, plus in multiplayer it can kill everybody.

M

Master Shake

I have to disagree, I think that Crucible is a broken card. imagine a deck list something like that

4x Crucible of Worlds
4x Zuran orb
4x Wasteland
1x Stripmine
1x Fastbond
1x Vampiric Tutor
1x Demonic tutor
1x Crop Rotation
1x Academy
5x Mox
1x Mox Diamond
1x Minds Desire

I generally do not like the idea of someone playing an academy, tapping it for 5, sacing it to gain two, playing it again for one and getting 5 more blue mana only to repeat. I dislike even more the idea of infinite Strip Mine... which if you did not notice cuts off any chance of Disenchant, Naturalize, Shatter etc...

Running one is over powered, running four is just devistating.

N

neomanceristaken

I think the most viable way to use this is with Zuran orb. You can even do it with any land, not just Tolarian Academy, as you gain more than the one life you lose playing a land with Fastbond whenever you sacrifice it. I could even see this combo being competitive in T1.

Fastbond-1 Card, G
Crucible of Worlds- 1 Card, 3
Zuran Orb- 1 Card, 0

I mean, 3x cards (only one of which is restricted) and a total of 4 mana only one of which is colored, is really cool.

1x Fastbond
4x Zuran Orb
4x Crucible of Worlds
9x

2x Cunning Wish
1x Timetwister
1x Cabal Therapy
1x Tinker
1x Demonic Tutor
1x Demonic Consultation
1x Vampiric Tutor
1x Mystical Tutor
1x Windfall
4x Living Wish
1x Ancestral Recall
1x Time Walk
4x Duress
1x Burning Wish
21x

1x Mana Vault
1x Mana Crypt
7x Sol-Lotus-Moxen
1x Grim Monolith
1x Mox Diamond
1x Lotus Petal
1x Tolarian Academy
13x

1x Strip Mine
4x Wasteland
4x Polluted Delta
4x Underground Sea
2x Tropical Island
2x Bayou
17x

SB: 1x Masticore
SB: 1x Ambassador Laquatus
SB: 1x Brainstorm
SB: 3x Misdirection
SB: 1x Woodripper/Veridian Shaman
SB: 1x Elvish Lyrist
SB: 4x Naturalize
SB: 2x Cabal Therapy
SB: 1x Stroke of Genius

I just came up with this off the top of my head. It seems a nice way to abuse infinite/near-infinite mana. The nice thing is, with a wasteland in the grave and fastbond in play, you totally shut down your *average* T1 opponent. The hardest part, I'd suspect, is to get the stupid Crucible in play at the same time as Fastbond. The best thing for it might be to run Exploration, as then you get some mini-fastbonds that can act as accelerants or a soft-lock. Taking out two lands a turn and all that=good. The Brainstorm is in the board as a Wish target, as are a lot of everything else.

In fact, with all the wishes, you might want to run something like Spoils of the Vault or Tainted Pact to help it go off.

And as an aside, Laquatus is the cooooooolest way to win in a loooooong time.

T

train

Laquatus does bring back the mill strategy... as does brain freeze...;)

S

shadow_acid

My wurm deck with call of the wild is counting down the days until the crucible hits the magic world:D
discard a land? nope i dont think so!:D

T

train

Crucible will make a lot of things interesting - especially hermit druid...:D

S

shadow_acid

I'd like to have it for those invasion sac lands or even those onslaught fetch lands.
Any land you can sacrifice.

N

Notepad

In Standard, the Crucible will work well not only with fetch lands, but with Cyclers, too. Cycle, draw card, then play the land anyway. Nice Standard tech. ;)

D

DeathMaster666

Yeah. But in Type 1, with Strip Mine and Wasteland, it could make some odd Turboland variant viable.

N

Notepad

Ah, nice trick there. Casually, I can also see infinite chump blockers in the form of Mishra's Factory and Blinkmoth Nexus. Trample just may become a lot more important.

See Spidey!!! I told you that "false trample" was gonna matter sometime this block!!!! ;)