The Dojo is Dying

D

Dune Echo

Well, when I meant "we" above, I was refering to the point ChasDen put across and I felt that the general consensus was to be more positive about Magic. I've heard just about everyone complain about speed kills in Magic (Sligh anyone?) and R&D has seemed to react to that by producing the old-fashioned set Mercadian Masques and degenerating red's burn spells. And yes, I do agree the CPA's issues are fueled by a smaller membership base, but that's why we're all here, isn't it?

In regards to "pro-players" and their "needs," that is entirely my own opinion. I don't have ANY positive experiences with "pro" players and I do have a relatively negative opinion of them. But when I saw Tolarian Academy in the first and only box of Urza's Saga I opened, I immediately thought, "This is way too powerful for a single land."

Don't we all try to filter out unwanted talk of any kind by reading only what we want to? :)

Spiderman, you seem like the arguementative type (and this is meant as a compliment). Would you like to do a point/counter-point on something with me?

Ferret

Staff member
Dune and others: our memberbase is pretty small. No one can expect us to number in the thousands - yet. The reason why the Pros get more attention and input from WotC is because they actually go where they "bigwigs" go - the Pro Tour events. We can't expect Peter Atkinson to show up at our house every Friday night and say "Hey guys, how's the game going? Anything you'd like me to do?"

We may have to start being more proactive and let them know w/ emails and whatnot. If we send lots of emails and maybe get a regular contact at WotC we might be able to let them know who we are - if they don't know who we are then things may take a while to get off the ground...we need to get our feet in the door, first.

We *WILL* make a difference, but it may take time...

-ferret

"Gumby: if you could record the episodes it would be great, but do they use standard VHS format in Japan?"

G

Gumby Khan

Actually, no they don't, but I have an American VCR and it should work alright. I'll fill up a tape and when I'm ready to send it, just give me an address. Cool?

"Why is there a Pokemon on this cooking show?"

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Chaos Turtle,
Actually, I'm looking forward to some lively debate with you once things have settled down and an issue comes up. Some of our discussions on that other forum were fairly entertaining, I think. :D

Spiderman,
Please try to look at this from the perspective of what we DO have going for us here.

We have a solid, loyal base of players who care passionately about this game.

We've a terrific new website, an absolute genius who tends it, and while the opinions expressed here are oftentimes less than approving of WotC's policies I, for one, do not think we're anti-WotC.

We're just pro non-Pro.

If that makes us the vocal minority of the silent majority, I can live with that.

The others will catch up eventually. ;)

TomB
CPA Member

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Dune Echo: I thank thee for the compliment. I don't normally think of myself as the argumentive type though, it's just that... I like what you guys are doing and all, it's just that personally, I don't share your (CPA) beefs against WOTC. As I'm sure many of you have picked up from here and the Dojo forums...

Interesting sidenote: Just today (2-9) the Dojo updated alot of their backpages and on the community issues there's an article by Mark Macgregor(?) complaining that Nemesis is terrible and aside from the Rishdan Port and another card it will not see tourney play (hence the terribleness). Meanwhile, on the Casual Play page there's an article by Chris Corbin (?) extolling the virtues of Nemesis and its playability.

TomB: As I said above, I think what you're doing is great, for what you're trying to accomplish. I'm just saying that if your (CPA) goal is having a voice that WOTC will listen to, realisitically, you need alot more voices than you have now. As it is, you guys maybe equal a Pre-Release - with active members who post, even less.

Ferret

Staff member
Spider: Give it time. The number of vocal members is growing - your posts have already increased that number by one! You just have to give it time...

Gumby: THANKS! Just send me an email and we'll work out the details. It'd be great to see the show in its original Japanese...

-ferret

"...moving at the speed of dark..."

G

Genesis

I think the quality of The Dojo articles are declining too. Last year I often print 1-3 artcles on a daily basis t share it with my friends without internet access. Recently, I can only print 1-3 articles per week.

L

Leshrac

There are three articles up on the main page of The Dojo talking about its decline, in case any of you are interested.

Ferret

Staff member
So people are writing in stating the obvious? Nice.

Did anybody notice that there was a major Pro Tour even recently (LA)? Probably not if you were only checking The Dojo. I had to go to Brainburst <shudder!> just to get the results. It's all pretty sad. The Dojo has the little GP events that they sponsor and don't even acknowledge the existence of other events. A year ago they would have had full coverage w/ lots of pictures, commentaries, player profiles and match reports...I mean Mike Long's behaviour would have been worhty of three articles alone...

The Dojo is on its last leg - at least as a site. May it die soon...

-ferret

"Why read the articles when you can buy one of our T-shirts!"

L

Leshrac

I usually just check out Meridian Magic ( http://www.meridianmagic.com ) for articles and reports. It's better than having to deal with The Dojo's mess of a front page.

BTW, they have a small section currently devoted to Mike Long's current antics.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ferret: I know to give you guys time, it's just that I'm forseeing complaints about say, the choices of 7th edition when I don't think there are enough voices to influence those choices (at least, the way you want to).

I also did see on the Dojo that there weren't going to be updates for a while because of PTLA (which kinda backs up that one critical article that people not on the tour should be updating the Dojo).