All Merc Deck Called Merc overrun

R

Riva Iron-Grip

i call this deck merc overrun. i think you'll be pleased with it. all creatures are mercs

lands:
20x swamps
1x phyrexian tower

creatures:
1x cateran overlord
2x death charmers
3x agents of shauku
2x cateran enfocers
3x misshapen fiend
4x cateran brutes
4x rampart crawlers
2x phyrexian prowlers

spells:
4x vicious hungers
4x dark rituals
4x exhumes
4x corrupts
4x expunge
3x cateran summons

M

Mikeymike

Hey DK, do you own any Rathi Assasins or Rathi Intimidators from Nemesis? Both are solid creatures that can Search, and each have nice side abilities.

Another card to consider for the search mechanic is Gaea's Cradle, if you have one it will basically work the same way it does in the rebel deck.

Also, instead of the exhumes, I would run 3x Diabolic Servitudes. Reason being for an extra 2 mana you don't have to worry about any big nasties coming from the opponents graveyard, plus when the creature dies it comes back to your hand.

C

Cateran Overlord

I dunno about Assasins, the deck seems more geared to beatdown than to board control. Intimidator I'd recommend for that sort of deck without pause. More from me later.

R

Riva Iron-Grip

yah i agree with you both. but this deck is really made to win fast, not hold out. and i'll put in the 3 diabolic servitudes instead of exhumes. thnx guys

M

Mikeymike

Whoops, my bad. I though it was 1BB and not 2BB, she's a little costly. The intimidator is SOLID though.

R

Riva Iron-Grip

yah, hey mike, sorry dude, but did you send the cards today? and do you like my new nickname?hehe

D

Duel

Intimidation. that card will save you against rebel decks, stomopy decks, and in fact, any deck that uses creatures to block. Also unearth, and death pits of rath.

With two enforcers on the board, I cast death pits of rath. Then I unearth one. then I exhume. Have a nice day.

Also, a thrashing wumpus may not be out of line for board control.

H

herald of valdemar

Maybe if you want more damage done add some drain lifes. They are rather useful. Lot's of damage and you gain life.
if you are playing tourneys. dont worry about them but have them on the sideboard for casual play

C

Cateran Overlord

I'd disagree on the Wumpus as there is currently no method of recursion, and you have a LOT of 1 toughness creatures. If you add in a method of recursion, then by all means use the Wumpus. He's fun.

My recommended method of recursion: Haunted Crossroads

R

Riva Iron-Grip

yah herald(garrett). what set is drain life from? prophecy?

C

Captain Caveman

Did you happen to check out the Merc Deck from the Hong
Kong Nationals.

Tanaka, Ittoku Mercenaries
Main Deck
CREATURES (22)
1 Agent of Shauku
2 Cateran Brute
4 Cateran Persuader
2 Delraich
2 Flesh Reaver
2 Molting Harpy
2 Phyrexian Negator
1 Phyrexian Plaguelord
2 Rampart Crawler
1 Rathi Fiend
2 Rathi Intimidator
1 Stromgald Cabal

SPELLS (18)
1 Contamination
4 Dark Ritual
1 Dark Triumph
4 Duress
1 Perish
2 Snuff Out
2 Vampiric Tutor
3 Vendetta
LAND (20)
2 Rishadan Port
18 Swamp

M

Mikeymike

The last set drain life was printed in was 5th and Mirage. Vicious Hunger, Soul Feast and Rhystic Syphons are its closest cousins right now.

In ref to the cards: They went out today b/c I wanted to weigh its contents and send them from work. I've mismarked postage on weight before and gotten the cards back so I didn't want to chance it. I got your email, that's fine, I'm in no super hurry to get them.

H

herald of valdemar

I know they arn't im talking about if hes playing a casual game. thats why i said sideboard, i knew he couldn't use them in a tourney, Thats why i told him to leave it out.

sorry about the miscommunication

M

Mikeymike

Its actually my fault, I assumed he wanted to keep it Type 2 b/c all the cards in his deck are T2.

R

Riva Iron-Grip

yah , im trying to make t2 decks. so i can play at our local tourney. but it's hard as hell to find GOOD cards that are t2.

D

Duel

Corrupt is Urza's saga, so it's t2. Use that nistead of drain life, maybe?

H

herald of valdemar

he already has four corrupts duel, Like i said just use drain life in a casual game, not as good as corrupt but good in pinch

R

Riva Iron-Grip

hey garrett(herald) you're not that good in black, but your right about drain life, but i dont usually use sideboard except for red. and yes duel i already have 4 corrupts. but i need something else in my deck. i think it's missing something, what is it?

S

Seeker of Truth

Death_) {night666:

Well, I'm not sure how much speed you need, but maybe Spineless Thug would be useful? It's 2/2 for 1B, although it can't block, but as a Merc, you can search for it, too. Perhaps Unearth would help as well? Since most of your creatures are cheap, fast ones, Unearth costs only B, and you won't have to worry about what your opponent would bring out if you Exhume. Of course, Exhume is a great way to get an Overlord or a Delraich into play...

R

Riva Iron-Grip

yah seeker, but overlord has the nice regeneration on it, so it doesn't matter.