Casual Deck--I KILL YOU AND YOUR LANDS!

M

Mikeymike

Here is probably my strangest deck. Its a variant of that even stranger MBC deck that uses Massacre + Natural Affinity to blow stuff up. Onward with the decklist.

69 cards total (the magic number)

MANA--30
13 Forests
13 Swamps
4 Dark Rituals

CREATURES--12
4 Yavimaya Elders
2 Wall of Souls (very helpful in multiplayer)
2 Spike Weavers
2 Sengir Vampires
2 Jolreal, Empress of the Lands (MVP)

PERMANENTS--12
3 Horn of Greed (They love me for it, the love doesn't last long)
3 Exploration
3 Spidersilk Armors
1 Death Pit Offering (own 1)
1 Nature's Revolt
1 Zuran Orb

SPELLS--15
4 Massacre
3 Natural Affinity
3 Persecute (which usually just paints a big old target on my forehead)
2 Duress
1 Demonic Tutor (restricted)
1 Yawgmoth's Will (restricted)
1 Disturbed Burial (to get the Weaver's back)

OK, here's the deal. I'm kind of working to different gigs here. The first one is to get out a SA or DPO, followed by a N.Affinity and Massacre to bury all lands except mine (I'm so nice sometimes).
The 2nd one is the Exploration/Horn of Greed Combo with hopefully a Jolreal to lay a serious beating.

How do I get this thing to be more effective? I'm thinking about losing the Persecutes and Duress, although effective, I'm put on the receiving end of a lot of revenge. Besides, this deck works as a sit back and play stupid type of deck.

Cards I'm thinking about using
Eradicate
Animate Land
Creeping Mold or Desert Twister
Lake of the Dead
Volrath's Stronghold (instead of the Disturbed Burial)
Fastbond

As always all ideas, suggestions, and synapses are welcome and appreciated.

D

Duel

nice deck. Never seen one so well developed before. A couples changes have been made, but I tried not to alter the theme. Why, you ask? Because, the theme's cool!

I added in creeping molds for artifact mana, rhystic tutors for when they're mana is gone, and thresher beasts, to keep their mana that way. The only thing I regret doing is taking out yawgmoth's will, but I don't see the point in this deck, which should be able to win without it. I think there must be better uses you have for it. 70 cards, so 1 total gain. Great deck, though. I gotta build me one of these!

MANA--30
13 Forests
13 Swamps
4 Dark Rituals

CREATURES--12
3 Thresher beasts
3 Yavimaya Elders
2 Wall of Souls
2 Sengirs

PERMANENTS--16
3 Horn of Greed
3 Exploration
3 Spidersilk Armors
2 Death Pit Offering (So get another)
2 Nature's Revolt
1 Zuran Orb
2 fool's tome

SPELLS--12
2 rhystic tutors (like they'll have mana!)
4 Massacre
3 Natural Affinity
4 creeping mold

M

Mikeymike

Thank you for the compliment and the suggestions, this deck was actually birthed from a chance acquisition of 3 Horn of Greeds and 2 Natural Affinities in the same day. It is a lot of fun to play, especially with a DPO and Jolrael out.

I like the Rhystic Tutor idea, I own 1 and its definitely going in. I also think you are right on the Will, b/c it worked best with the Persecute and Yav. Elder in here, but it never assured me any victory. Creeping Mold is coming in, and I think I'll try the Thresher Beasts.

I can't lose the Weavers, they are extremely important in here. I have 2 3-card combos in here so I sit waiting for a while fairly often. The Weaver usually buys me 3 or 4 valuable turns. Also, as much as I love Fool's Tome, I rarely ever have an empty hand in this deck, maybe 1 every 5 games.

What do you think of
Volrath's Stronghold
Eradicate (even if I don't kill the land, something like Thorny can be a serious problem)

Updated list 69
MANA--30 (Wish I had Bayous)
13 Forests
13 Swamps
4 Dark Rituals

CREATURES--13
2 Thresher Beasts (or Argothian Wurms?)
3 Yavimaya Elders
2 Wall of Souls (very helpful in multiplayer)
2 Spike Weavers
2 Sengir Vampires

PERMANENTS--12
3 Horn of Greed (They love me for it, the love doesn't last long)
3 Exploration
3 Spidersilk Armors
1 Death Pit Offering (want 1 more)
1 Nature's Revolt (want 1 more)
1 Zuran Orb

SPELLS--14
4 Massacre
3 Natural Affinity
3 Eradicate
2 Creeping Mold (own 2, can you believe that?)
1 Rhystic Tutor

D

Duel

Argothian wurm! why didn't I think of that? Great card! Throw it in!

I

Istanbul

I'm sorry, I just like this title.

"This is a casual, friendly deck. Nothing tournament. Strictly for a Magic game between buddies. Ready? YOU SUCK AND SO DO YOUR LANDS! DIE! DIE! DIE!!!"

K

krichaiushii

I would think twice about adding the Argothian Wurm. Even if your deck is working optimally, and you have killed most land, SOMEONE will be willing to sac a land to delay the Wurm. Otherwise, the Wurm may just turn into really cool-looking Jolrael-fodder.

Just my thoughts.

M

Mikeymike

You have a very valid point, the more I think about it they would mostly be useful if I got a Exploration opening draw w/ a ton of land. If I do kill the lands they'll just be overkill.

D

Duel

I disagree. I've seen very few games where someone was willing to activate argothian wurm's drawback. and I was thinking that after you wipe them clear, it's practically guarenteed. Besides, it's either one land a turn, or a 6/6. either way, you win.

I

Istanbul

That's what it looks like at first glance, but remember, you won't always draw this thing during the early game. If you even draw it in the mid-game, your opponent can pitch as many lands as they feel they can afford...and since the Wurm is placed back on top of your library, they're also making sure you won't draw anything useful. Of course, you could keep drawing new cards by not casting the Wurm...making it a completely wasted draw.

Argothian Wurm belongs in a land-destruction deck. I have yet to see any other deck in which it works.

D

Duel

1: this is a land-destruction deck

2: if he draws in in mid-game, chances are, their land supply is at least dwindling. If not, the deck's already lost.

G

Griffith_se

Argothian Wurm works real good in Elf'a'Geddon thats where I've seen it played mostly. Everyone probably knows that already though.

M

Mikeymike

I tried it out this weekend in 4 Duels and 5 Chaos games.

Duels:
First thing is that this deck got crushed 2-6 against Type 1 1vs1 decks, which didn't surprise me b/c it wasn't built with that in mind. However, it went 4-0 against chaos decks played in duel, which means it can hold its own in single player:

Speed decks (4 matches): No one ever minded sacking a land, which completely stopped the progress of the deck. However one game I got the Explo/Greed combo out T2 and the Wurm won that game.

Slower decks (8 matches): Vs real 1 player decks (Blue, Mill) it didn't make it to play in 2 games. Vs. the chaos decks in 1vs1 it made it out in two games, winning me the game in one. The other game it was quickly terrored.

In Chaos (5 matches)
I saw it in 4 games. It sat in my hand b/c 1 of the 4 opponents sacked a land. I came out one game after the combo and whupped some but, however I would have won w/o it.
Yet another game I got the Explo/Greed combo again, and it managed to eat 4 lands total, which didn't bother me b/c I was drawing so many cards.

FINAL VERDICT
It doesn't work for chaos games, it usually sat in my hand. It proved to be very situational for its specific purpose in the deck.

Still one of the best pieces of artwork ever, though

P

Planeswalker

Just one quick thing to say to Istanbul. The Argo Wurm can be played in Stompy too. Green's fat beats put the pressure on, and as they try to mount a defense the Argo Wurm comes in. It blows up land as early as turn 3, but usually more like turns 5 or 6 when you really need to make that one last push to win. It can also be pitched to Vine Dryad.

Cali-Crunch v 4.5(i've really tested it this far)
4 Llanowar Elves
4 River Boa
4 Albino Troll
4 Vine Dryad
4 Wild Dogs
3 Elvish Lyrist
3 Argothian Wurm
4 Rancor
4 Giant Growth
3 Might of Oaks
2 Wild Might
11 Forest
4 Treetop Village
4 Rishadan Port
3 Gaea's Cradle

D

Duel

I got nailed earlier for completely altering a deck, so maybe it's ironic that I say this, but wtf?!?

Um, that's not the same deck. The color scheme isn't even the same. niether is the theme. Nor are almost any of the cards. riight.

P

Planeswalker

Duel, i wasnt changing the deck. Istanbul said that Argo wurm is only good in land destruction decks. I showed him otherwise. And duel, first read what i wrote before u go insulting me k?

M

Mikeymike

Come on guys play nice. I don't mind Planeswalker putting his deck on here, it was relevent to our Argothian Wurm discussion.

M

Mikeymike

I don't mind Planeswalker putting his deck on here, it was relevent to our Argothian Wurm discussion.