The Dark Tower series

F

FoundationOfRancor

I jusat finished Stephen Kings, The wastelands, The dark tower book 3. And I just started book 4, Wizard and glass. Anyway...I really like them. I think there the best work of kings so far. What do you guys think?

G

Gamalon

I agree it was his best work. If anyone liked that series... then Robert Jordan's WoT or Goodkind's Sword of Truth series are for you.

A

Almindhra

It really is a good series...I'm only on book 5 though...Gamalon has the series twice through...What a freaky

D

Duster

I'm on the Lord of Chaos in the WoT, what an amazing series, by the time Jordan get's the new one out in November I'll be done with the first 8, rock on.

C

Child of Gaea

I personally have read all of the Dark Tower series and the Wheel of Time series, and loved every word on every page of both of them! You say the new Wheel of Time is coming out in November?!? That is the best thing I have heard in a long time!! Anyone know if there is a new Dark Tower book coming out soon?

As far as the Dark Tower series being Stephen Kings best work, I do not know if I agree with that one. The DT series is so totally different from everything else he has done, that it has to be in a class of its own. King, IMO, has got to be one of the best writers of all time, due to the fact that he can write about absolutely anything and still keep the audience entertained. I bet people who never even thought of picking up a fantasy book, saw this new book by King and decided to try it. I have read every one of his books, and I have not found one yet that I have disliked!

In addition, does anyone here play the Wheel of Time CCG? I want to get started on it, and have placed some bids on ebay for some starters and boosters (boxes go for $30!) and I would like someone who knows about the game to enlighten me as to how much fun it is!

C

Chaos Turtle

The Dark Tower series is cool, though I must profess a certain disappointment with omitted specific reference cuz I'm a nice guy and don't want to ruin anybody's fun which really could have been tied up a little better at the end.

Robert Jordan, on the other hand, is guilty of stringing the world along in a series of 74 books that boast a storyline so epic that it could have fit into three or four.

You are being had, dear people, and it's time to let Mr. Jordan know that he needs to wrap this thing up before he (and his readers) die of old age.

I refuse to read another Wheel of Time novel*. Let me know how it turns out, won't you?

*I'll be reading Encyclopædia Britannica instead... more substance and coherence.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
CT, I have to disagree with you (though not entirely) about the WoT series. Yes, it takes way too long for Jordan to write them, and granted, books 5, 7, and 8 had a LOT of filler, but the other 5 books range in quality from terrific to incredible. And I, personally, can't wait for books 9 and 10.

November, Duster said?

I'll be there. :D

Child, I've never played the WoT CCG, though it looks interesting. But if boxes are selling for only $30 there has to be a reason. I imagine that even if the game turned out to be great you'd still have problems finding someone to play it with. Maybe if you got some friends to go in on it with you?

Dark Tower? I've never read any of them, though I've heard some good things. I'll pick them up one of these days...

A

Almindhra

But Jordan's books are so good because he dovotes time to them...I love the way he writes...You can really envision things with the way he describes things...

I play the WoT ccg...We ( Gamalon and myself ) have many cards, and both starters...If you have questions, ask Gamalon...He knows a lot about it...And I love the ccg

D

Duster

Damn, I hope I'm right about book 9 being out in November, I wish I remembered where I saw the info so I could double-check it. I just started book 7 last night. I bought The Gunslinger (Dark Tower Book 1) yesterday too.

I'm never going to get around to reading Hi-Fidelity.

D

Dune Echo

Yes, book nine will be out in November with the name Winter's Heart and Robert Jordan is promising to reveal who actually killed Asmodean definatively for once. (We all know it's one of three people depending on your view of the arguement.) Any questions? Email me. I also have a list of Wot websites.

G

Gamalon

I think everyone whose read it will agree that book 6 was the best in the series. No, I'm no bashing 2 or 4... they were great also. 8 plain sucked... I'm sorry RJ dropped the ball on that one.

DEe one of 3 people? I always thought it was one person in my mind... who are the 3 you mean? Not to spoil the books for others i didn't post names.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
But 6 was great too. I'd rank book 1 next, not 2. I'm not saying book 2 was bad, but I thought the first book was better. And on the Asmodean thing, it would be nice to definitively know who got him, but it's not like it keeps me up nights or anything...

I think I know who Aran'gar and Osan'gar are, but I would like to know that for sure too. Where did Osan'gar disappear to, I wonder. He introduced the character, then the character disappears. Finding out what Mat's been up to would be good though. That's something I better see in book 9, or I'll be over in the corner with CT. ;)

F

FoundationOfRancor

Well I got book one of the WoT series the 4th for my B day. So as soon as I finish Dark Tower book 4, i will start it.