Magic The Gathering Offline?

Ferret

Staff member
Has anyone else tried logging on today and found that their server was not responding? I was able to get on to download the 2.0 upgrade, but I can't get in to play...

-Ferret

"Of course, by the time someone reads it, the server should be back up..."

N

Nightstalkers

We're not accepting the blame, nor are we denying it...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It's probably just the masses all getting 2.0 and trying to log in to use it for the first time...

T

train

MTGO wasn't supposed to come up until about 10:00pm PST(?) so it may have still been down, or flooded like spidey said...

R

rkoelsch

Actually they are having significant performance problems with the upgrade. Hopefully it will get straighten out but they have a lynch mob forming on the MTGO boards.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
What's the problem? Have they said? I checked the WOTC site a little while ago but didn't see anything that jumped out.

I wonder if and who tested it is getting reamed :p

T

train

They did say that the system would not be restored to online service until everything tested fine - including performance...

???...

Either way - they're making major bling-bling for digital pics...;) :cool:

N

Nightstalkers

Murphy's law of programming:
There is always one more bug.

R

Reverend Love

Their servers are probably rejecting the new 8th Edition layout as code from Windows XP *snicker snicker*

Ferret

Staff member
At this moment, I'm trying to log on again. The new version is loading - again...let's see what happens.
while waiting, I checked out their message boards. The game is down.
It's starting now...sitting through the lame intro. Cute Goblins.
Okay, let's see if I can get on. Connection Established...sending logon information...it's just sitting there...still waiting...let's click the free trial line...
RATS!!!!

"Cannot establish a connection to the server. Either the server is offline or you have lost your connection to the internet. If the server is offline, try again in a few minutes."

[>Second Try - about 20 minutes later<]

Logon screen again - enter name/password. It says I'm already logged on! Try again in a few minutes??? How odd. Mental note: change password as soon as possible!

Trying to logon again...I'm IN! Things are loading slowly w/ a warning that things might go down intermittently...report back later...

...looked around for a while...I've yet to see anything new. the Autopairing feature is nowhere to befound. Half of the options are unavailable and I'm stuck w/ an Avatar I hate and now the clock in the bottom right is blinking...holding cursor over it..oh nice. I've lost connection...two minutes later it tells me this. How nice. Trying to logon again...still down...trying again (again) Okay. I'm back on...

-Ferret

"Didn't they try beta-testing the new version on a test server????"

I

Istanbul

You REALLY don't want to know what I think about how the rollout of 2.0 has been handled.

Chinese Fire Drill, anyone?

W

whuppinboy

it took 20 minutes of me staring at "server found, connection...." before i could get on last night and that was around 11pm est. once in, everything loaded slooooooooooooooooooow, most of the new options they touted weren't there and the only game i played some schmo conceded on turn 5 when i laid my 4th wellwisher on the table :p

personally, i could live with the game being down until they could bring it up with ALL the bells and whistles and just not throw it up so people would quit their bitching on their message boards. what? do they think that after all the $$ people have invested that if it goes down for 2 or 3 days, they're just going use the redeem feature and call it quits? geesh.

Ferret

Staff member
Tonight's attempt (starting at about 10:00pm EDT):

Logged on - no real problems. Many options still unavailable.
Went to Multi room to watch some friends playing in an EMP game. After watching New Frontiers get cast twice and a Weird Harvest/that bear card combo go, it was time for the next player to start summoning her Elves (yes, some women do play MTGO). The other team was wishing for a crash to put them out of their miseries...they got their wish.

10:20pm EDT - attempting to logon again...while waiting, checking my collection for new deck ideas...I am SO bored...

10:30pm - still waiting. I should use some of those spare tickets to expand my collection. Maybe I can get my mitts on some 8th ed commons or something...

10:32pm - :yawn: I'll try again later...

10:35pm actually got on! Watched another Emp game - called due to one of the players spending quality time w/ his wife.

11:00pm - played a game. Totally mana-hosed. The fates step in and save me, by having the game crash again...
-Ferret

"All I want to really do now is change my bloody avatar!"

M

Mr_Pestilence

Funny, all my old-fashioned real world cards seem to be working just fine...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You could, but then why buy real cards? Why not just proxy the ones you want from your own regular cards or blank paper?

R

rkoelsch

actually finished updating this morning and played a game. had to get use to the stops all over again.