Bands and Musicians

B

Bob

No, this ISN'T another "What bands do you like?" thread. It's a thread asking if any of you are IN bands, or make music yourselves.

I'm in a band, actually. The Freak Revolution. It's an apt name for a bunch of losers like us.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

a friend and myself made a couple of "fake" CDs a while back. she thought it would be cool to have a band name "post coital techno boogie". So we made an album cover, and came up with a bunch of names for songs(my favorite of which being "spatula tango") The CD stated that all the songs were instrumentals, but since neither of us play any instruments it justifies the blank CD inside the case. It was a fun activity for a couple of weeks and got a fair amount of laughs.

D

DÛke

Yah. I’m in a “band.” Though I don’t like working with others at all, except when it comes to recording vocals and lyrical writing. It’s really more pleasing to have your own vision for music, and really, with the highest quality of samples CDs available (www.ilio.com), all you need is a dream and a talent.

I was called “Sage” in Acid Planet (www.acidplanet.com) for a while, until I posted the remix version of my short musical Masqueradia, which contained a subtle description very unfavorable and unpleasant directed towards some other artists, and the concept itself dealt with many people in general. I also voiced some of my political opinions there - it's not hard foretelling what that did. It became heated, I became hated, and from their on, like expected, hate mail became a daily issue (I consider hate mail fan mail). Add to that the long departure of my ladies Sudoangel (http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/238/sudoangel.html) and Wendy Grondzil (http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/324/wendy_g.html), and you’ll have me with spirit fallen. Especially my Wendy – more than a friend, but an influence as well.

So I changed my name to Midnight Man, in hope of disparaging and destroying the needless commotion. The only few who know Midnight Man is the hated Sage are my close artist friends Eric Remington (carries an amazing voice with him) and Brenda Bradley (jazzy/dancy type of a chill out lady) – both contribute to Acid Planet as well, so check their talents if you will.

I only posted one song as Midnight Man – The Moon Song (http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?songs=109817&T=1720). At the end, I didn’t like it much because it was still tainted with Sage’s style – it didn’t do anything new. My new music as Midnight Man, however, is something completely odd and different – darker too. I plan to post some of them soon, as a part of the Eternal Recurrence project which I’ve had in my mind for a while now. I already sent the first song, The Second Genesis (renamed to Regenesis) to few people including Aku Necromancer of the CPA to give me an early opinion.

Wendy and Angel both released CDs already. Heck, Wendy won an award for her song “Worlds Remembered.” Now I plan to do the same soon, at least win an award for my coming up spiritual endeavor “The Turning Point.”

B

Bob

*is gonna buy DUke's CD if he ever sees it*

Well, The Freak Revolution has been described (by our vocalist, Shane) as Art-Rock. I guess that's because we don't limit ourselves to a single style of rock. Metal, Punk, Alternative, Progressive, whatever.

I'm the bassist, my neighbor Seth is the drummer, our singer is my best friend Shane, and we currently don't have a guitarist. he moved to Virginia. So now we're looking for a guitarist (but will probably just use our old guitarist's best friend, Tim, who also plays guitar.)

I write most of the stuff for the band. Music, lyrics (but I don't sing), and anything else.

I wonder in what way DUke will taunt/insult/make fun of me for being a "rock" band. :)

D

DÛke

Hey...I wont say much about what you do. You are at least trying to spend your time in creative manners. You're not going around being "bored" and boring us with you...

G

Gerode

*is going to vote for DUke on TRL when his music videos come out :D *

F

FmK-AnC

i was in a band... but they kicked me out for sucking so much... (i just started what do you expect)... and i also play bass...

B

Bob

gerode, if my band ever makes a music video, either don't vote at all or get a lot of people to vote for me so i'll win. I either don't want to be affiliated with TRL at all, or I want to embarress them by being a band they hate at the number one spot..

Actually, don't vote at all. MTV rigs it so that actual musicians can't get on TRL.

I hate MTV.

On the same subject, DUke, it may surprise you that not all rock bands are mindless corporate sludge.

...even though sometimes it seems that way when you watch MTV. I guess you have to be mindless corporate sludge to be famous these days.

O

orgg

Well, I'm not a musician, but I am going into the buisiness. I'll be one of the ones behind the glass actually putting the elements together and getting the levels of the recording.

DUke, have you tried Pro Tools? I've worked with Acid early in my Full Sail career, and I couldn't stand it's regementation. Vegas was slightly better, and is good for someone who wants a user-friendly interface...

but Pro Tools is the one that gets most jobs done... but it's got a high learning curve for all of its functions, and you MUST know the shortcuts to work well.

You can get Pro Tools Free(tm) if you're computer is crappy enough-- they havn't updated it, as it'd make some copywright holders quite mad if that kind of power was free. It's an eight-track only setup, though... but I think it handles thirty-two MIDI tracks.

www.digidesign.com

It seems they also have some basic training courses avaible...
http://www.digidesign.com/newschooltour/locations.cfm

D

DÛke

Hey, Bob...chill down - I didn't say anything about rock. My friend Eric Remington considers himself a "rocker" - but he has too much style to be muddled with the modern and common conception of "rock," ya know what I mean? No "popular wannabe" around here.

Orgg, I have heard of Pro Tools so much, but I never really wanted to use it. I think Acid has the easiest and friendliest user interface I have seen so far (after toying with Cakewalk and Magix even). I am actually surprised that you find it a little regimented or inflexible. I'm quite comfortable with it. Completely free of bugs, unlimited tracks, tons of plug-ins - I think it's good enough for me at the moment. And you should check out what they've added for Acid Pro 4.0...mouth watering...

I'm actually thinking of moving a step ahead and buying Orion or Reason, just to try something completely different...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not or never was in a band but my brother was back in high school about a decade ago. They got invited to play at some club in College Park but was dropped (I think) due to them spreading the word and trying to get underage drinkers in (or something like that) :rolleyes:

O

orgg

Try out Pro Tools Free. If you get enough experience, you can also make some good money as a PT Op.

PT Free is a good program, too.

Acid didn't let me slide things around, it was too structured. It was like being locked into Grid mode on PT. IT also didn't make too much sense to "paint" the sounds in instead of simply pulling them in as a graphic that then could be duplicated if needed.

I also don't like the "loop" based sounds, as I've come to be able to identify them pretty easily, having heard so many of them in PT Exercises at Full Sail.

It's also the industry standard. That should say something.

D

DÛke

Acid didn't let you drag things around? Are you kidding me! Sure, it has a grid system - a very complicated and diverse one. But you know - all you have to do to move "free style" (without grids) is click on the easy-to-see arrow button, which looks like the standard Windows mouse pointer. By defult, the button is always clicked to enable the matrix (or you call it "grid) system - if you unclick it, you can drag and slide things around as freely and smoothly as you want.

You can also change the values of the grid, depending on how detailed you are.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I do not make music, nor am I in a band. But, I am a musician.

I happen to be a vocal performance major at Georgia Southern University.

Ransac, cpa trash man

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

I'm working on getting a band together with my friends.
This entails
  • teaching them how to play, from just about the basics to everything
  • getting them to get off their oinks and buy good instruments (we have half a drum set and a six-string guitar with five strings, among other things. and I need a strap for my bass)
  • actually getting good myself, once I've got all that done.

We also have two bassists. I want to play bass because I like playing my bass, but I might change my mind later. My friend Mara just wants to play bass, and owns a bass. I see no reason to kick her out, but I don't want to stop playing bass. So we have two bassists.
I really just want to be able to make some kind of music at this point. I want to be a professional musician eventually, and to develop my creative voice. But that's later. Right now I'm happy with the progress we're making.
I wrote lyrics for three songs on a trip I just took. They're ok. Mostly the sense of accomplishment from writing something is good. But to quote the Talking Heads, "You can't see it till it's finished!"

The music I will be doing now is best defined as indie-rock punk (maybe with a little old metal thrown in), because that's what we can play (well, we will be able to play it later...).