Brother's In Law

B

bryson430

My (card-playing) brother-in-law just got a job for an obscure branch of Hasbro, and it turns out he gets 65% off Magic Cards. That's 65%! So - look for jobs at Hasbro, that's my advice.

N

Nightstalkers

Would he be willing to share the wealth unto us, laddie?

B

bryson430

I'm working on him. But he's mean (he just puchased a power 9 for £200 - that's $300, and wouldn't tell anyone else that he'd found it until the deal was done.) Now he has 2 ancestrals and 2 timetwisters.

Anyway, we're in the UK

N

Notepad

Wait a minute, how in the world can his company discount affect how he buys cards on the secondary market? Sounds fishy...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, he probably gets discounts at the WOTC store and I think Gamekeeper is owned by some subsidiary of Hasbro, if not WOTC... and those are stores in the states, so it's possible they have something over in the UK...

B

bryson430

Sorry, to clarify: He gets 65% off new cards. The power 9 was a separate (but equally lucky) deal with a guy who was desparate/stupid/both.

N

Nightstalkers

so why not sell cards at the 65% deal? you could get the cards, then turn around and sell them for more than what you get them for.

Thusly making a profit.

N

Notepad

>> so why not sell cards at the 65% deal? you could get the cards, then turn around and sell them for more than what you get them for.

Damn, that is a most wickedly good idea, of Night Stalking One! I want to get a job at WotC now! But, I think my constant bashing them may hurt my chances just a little. No matter, I'll just dress up real nice for the picture attached to my resume. ;)

M

Mikeymike

Originally posted by Nightstalkers
so why not sell cards at the 65% deal? you could get the cards, then turn around and sell them for more than what you get them for.

Thusly making a profit.
B/c he'd probably get fired, or doesn't want to risk it.

T

train

I don't see re-selling cards as a problem...

But that's just me...:cool:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I can see it when you're working for the company and getting a discount... it's basically operating your own company at WOTC's expense :)

B

bryson430

My point really was that you don't have to work for WOTC to get that discount - any subsection of Hasbro will do. So start applying for those doll design jobs...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Since you're back, maybe you can answer the question: so is your brother-in-law not interested in making a little money on the side and getting the cards at his discount and marking it up a little for others or is there still some Hasbro policy discouraging that sort of thing?

B

bryson430

Originally posted by Spiderman
Since you're back, maybe you can answer the question: so is your brother-in-law not interested in making a little money on the side and getting the cards at his discount and marking it up a little for others or is there still some Hasbro policy discouraging that sort of thing?
I'm pretty sure that resale isn't permitted (the words "for personal use only" are involved, as are limits on quantities) and I'm also sure that he couldn't really be bothered, knowing him.

T

train

Okay - so don't re-sell the packs...

Open them up and sell the singles or sets... - he'll make a lot more money that way...

"Bling-Bling is the key... "

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"bling-bling" has got to be one of the dopiest phrases ever "invented" these past couple of years. And it made it in the Oxford Dictionary! :eek:

:p

T

train

And it made it in the Oxford Dictionary!
A lot of slang is in the dictionary...

"Ain't" is in there as well...

Wouldn't be surprised though if it was being created by an Oxford Prof., then spread around the world, thus giving him the pleasure of seeing his own word added to the dictionary...:rolleyes:

N

Notepad

>>>> And it made it in the Oxford Dictionary!
>> A lot of slang is in the dictionary...

Soccer Mom happened to make it in somehow. Sad that a retarded slang phrase like bling bling made it in. Next you know Snoop Dogg will be helping edit the next edition... :rolleyes:

OxNizzle's Dizzle for Nizzles. Fo Shizzle!