Internet Music Lovers Beware!

N

Nightstalkers

Sure you have train's other scenarios, but I think they're trying to stop the easy distributing part. Kinda like locking doors... a thief looking for a quick robbery isn't going to waste time breaking through a locked door when next door is open.
but then the crackers will get smart-assed and start it up just to show up the system...

man, i gotta get into a better crowd.

N

nodnarb24

Originally posted by train
I think napster was storing files... not just a program for sharing...:)
Napster didn't store files, but all the file transfers did go through a central server. This gave them the ability to block copyrighted material, but they didn't, in any effective way at least. Kazaa and all those are different because all it does is connect the people together but all of the files go directly to the users.

F

FmK-AnC

you could call it buying on kazaa... you give something you have for something somone else has... i can give somone one of my cd's right? i mean come on... i think whatever they do is ****ing stupid... buy a cd... burn it... keep the burnt one... and give the other one to somone else for free

N

Nightstalkers

hey, they did try to build into the cd's an anti copy thing to prevent people from making copies of cd's... it didn't work because people found that you could just take a marker to the underside to blot out the impeding script.

T

train

Napster didn't store files, but all the file transfers did go through a central server.
So the files just went through a server, and weren't stored there?... So people were sharing through the server...:cool: Almost the same thing we do at work...
I don't know the whole story about Napster, just basically that they lost legally...