Order of the Pheonix

Ferret

Staff member
Originally posted by Nightstalkers
Seriously though...

Is Harry Potter really that good?
It depends on what you look for in a fantasy novel. It has a very character driven plotline - which means, it focuses more on the people instead of the actual magic - so it might not be something "serious fantasy readers" like. It was originally aimed at kids, but it doesn't dumb itself down like a Dr. Seuss book or those wretched Chronicles of Narnia.

I like it. Borrow the first book from someone, read it, and see for yourself. If you like it keep reading the others. By the time you finish the third book you'll be rushing out to get the others...

-Ferret

"...and those horrible Xanth novels? My goddess, those were crap!"

A

Apollo

Hey, I love Xanth! ;)

...But what do they have to do with this, anyway?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Zhaneel: Even "he" was too much. All I knew from the leaked Rowling interview was that she said a "major character" died. No gender mentioned.

Duke: I think I did think you were criticizing when I first read your post but since you're not into fantasy and was asking a general-type question, I apologize if my answer seemed "biting" back (or whatever).

Nightstalkers: Like everyone is saying, if you like fantasy, give the books a try and see how they are. If you don't, even reading the book might not help (although you never know, it might make you a convert :) )

I thought the first five or so Xanth novels were pretty good; heck, Spell for Chameleon was the first fantasy book I read and got me hooked on it. But I don't think they can compare with Harry Potter either - entirely different audience to begin with.

N

Nightstalkers

Heck! I was just getting everyones opinion about Hairy Potter...

Chronicles of Narnia is good if you beef it up with something better.

Piers AnthonyZanth is better than most crap out there... and its an ongoing series which hasn't stopped yet...

Ferret

Staff member
Originally posted by Nightstalkers
Heck! I was just getting everyones opinion about Hairy Potter...

Chronicles of Narnia is good if you beef it up with something better.

Piers AnthonyZanth is better than most crap out there... and its an ongoing series which hasn't stopped yet...
Narnia was quite bad. The obvious Christian undertones were less than subtle...

Xanth (w/ an 'X') is utter crap. So, he keeps coming out w/ more of them. So what? They keep putting out Friday the 13th movies and they don't seem to be improving. The 'plots' were shallow, the puns terrible...oh wait. Now, I get it. You like the puns, don't you? Now i makes sense...

-Ferret

"As for ongoing series, try reading Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels..."

N

Nightstalkers

No, just love the idea of killing fans with bad puns...

As for ongoing series... What the hell is wrong with Sierra? The CS chatrooms are Admin free, and the game litterally sux the pants off of its players!

For the love of god, give us something better or RIPieces.

Whats the name of CS2 again?

Counterstrike: Condition Zero? Darn, I forgot it again :mad:

F

FmK-AnC

i finnaly finished the 5th book today... i cant wait for the 6th... ive decided that i will read the books now 4 3 2 1 cuz im bored... other than that... no news...

SPOILER

I like to eat food... i think this spoiler thing is more of a joke than a reality now

N

Nightstalkers

SPOILER

§å†äñ™²°°³

is

Ѧ¿¤†§‡ª£|<€®š™²°°³

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
If you get past the religious tones (which really were only noticable to me in Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe, and only after someone mentioned it, and maybe the last one when you think about it), I thought the Narnia books were pretty good. Battles, talking creatures, history... good stuff.

E

EricBess

Also just finished The Order of the Pheonix. The transition to "end game" seemed a bit abrupt, but other than that, it was very enjoyable.

F

FmK-AnC

yeah i thought it was abrupt too.....

I HATE NARNIA BOOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Z

Zhaneel

I like the Chronicle of Narnia books.

Spidey - You misunderstand me, too. I was complaining about how people thought I was reffering to someone else, not about it being a spoiler, and... oh nevermind.

N

Nightstalkers

but Zanth is still good...

I personally enjoy bad puns when not reading code all day.

Ha ha! I'll kill that bastard who shole me identity yet!

O

orgg

Xanth... is not quality literature.

It is, however, worth $3 for the hardcovers, or $8 for four-in-one books.

However, I'd say if you like Xanth, without a doubt try out Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels.
They are funny, but they're not completly pun(or pune) based, and the characters are believable and have personalities all of their own. Excellence in Wrighting.

As for Narnia, the religeous overtones were definatly palpable, but only in the final book were they actually beating you over the head.

N

Nightstalkers

I'll try the discworld novels...

If you try Julian May's The Saga of Pliocene Exile

A

Apollo

Yes, Discworld is definitely a great series, and anyone that likes Xanth will love Pratchett. I got 4 Discworld novels for my graduation party, and will probably knock off all 4 this coming weekend.

O

orgg

I'll look for it, Nightstalkers.

Appollo: Don't you hate it when you get a new Pratchett novel, then you read it for a short period of time... and you realize you're ten pages from the end of it?

Happened to me with Guards! Guards! first, Men @ Arms second, and The Amazing Mourice and his Educated Rodents second.

If my mother hadn't slammed on breaks for a deer crossing the road, I probably would've done it w/ Good Omens as well...

:D

T

TidusX

::WARNING:: IF YOU HAVNT READ THE BOOK YET DO NOT READ OUR POST ::WARNING::

We felt that this new harry potter book was one of the best yet. Though we were enraged at one point because Sirius Black died. Other than that it was a great book and we cant say that about many books