Let's talk about Stifle

R

Rooser

Stifle is a remarkable card. The public stock in it just keeps going up with time as people begin to realize exactly how cool it is. There are tons of useful things you can do with it, at least in T2. But let me tell you the use that sold me on the card:

You can counter fetchlands.

Anyway, spout your more casual-minded thoughts here.

R

Reverend Love

I could see Stifle finding a welcoming home is type of combo deck. Not relying on Stifle but exploding with it's addition. It appears to be a card whose utility could constantly amaze.

M

Mikeymike

I personally like how is stops triggered abilities of your own cards - like:

Phage
Hecatomb
Wormfang Manta's CIP
Death Pit Offering (soon to be in 8th)
Lord of Tresserhorn
Soulgorger Orgg
Final Fortune
...and I'm sure a bunch more that I can't think of right now.

I have one in my trade stock, and I'm really starting to get more and more attached to it.

T

train

You might want it out of your trade stock...;)

I'm just glad it's not a counter in general...

"The "no" kind..."

C

CrazyMongrel

it's simply great...good also to stop phyrexian negator's bad ability for a few turns...

R

Rooser

Using it to quasi-combo with stuff like Phage or Death Pit Offering is cool and all, but then you lose the utility of using it defensively.Here's a good defensive use that should appeal to our inner-Timmies:

You plop down as many mana-buddies as you can so you can cast Day of the Dragons as quickly as possible, turning all your mana-buddies into 5/5 flyers.

Normally you would be very suseptible to enchantment hate, but if you run Stifle, then you can counter Day of the Dragons' leaving-play effect. Now you have your flying fatties, and Day of the Dragons isn't even in play to be disenchanted.

M

mythosx

I have mixed feelings about stifle. On one hand its powaaa-ful. On the other hand it almost changes the dynamic of the game entirely. It may be too powerful. Im still reeling from the fact that it was ever created.

Killer Joe

hmmmm,......I've got three in my trade stock and I'm not that impressed with it, BUT, if 'train' hates it maybe I ought to take another look at it. ;)

I like the idea of messin' with someone's turn 1 fetchland action.

~Mark

B

BigBlue

Damn, that's just mean.... way better than stripmine. of course you have to have stifle, and they have to be using a fetchland...

R

Rooser

Right, but with nearly everybody running either fetchlands or cycling, you'll get to use it. It's worth it even to just deny somebody a card draw off a cycle- I mean, they just paid mana and pitched a card for nothing. It'd be best to run it in a deck where it could see defensive use, such as with my Day of the Dragons idea.

Of course, some of us aren't liking it very much because its only really strong in T2 tournament play, not Type-irrelevant casual play.

T

train

Trust me - it's a strong card... it stops so much... well... everything really...

Now had it been, just activated ability or triggered ability - it wouldn't be so bad...

"but countering either is insane..."

still glad counterspell's gone...;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Mikeymike

I have one in my trade stock, and I'm really starting to get more and more attached to it.
Nonono... you've got to keep it in there! :eek:

:)

You too Killer Joe... if you have a trade list up, I'll trade for them...

M

mythosx

i don't think its just type 2 strong like someone mentioned earlier. Think of all those cards with the words when, at, and whenever or whatever else stifle counters on them.

M

mythosx

oooh i just remembered an old skool card that i used to love and with stifle it kicks butt.......PHYREXIAN DREADNOUGHT!!!!

booyah deal with a 12/12 that costs only one blue and 2....hows that for type irrelevant play..