Plains (4)
Salt Marsh
Shivan Oasis
Swamp (4)
Urborg Volcano
Urza's Mine
Urza's Power Plant
Urza's Tower

For those doubting the list, just check out the MTG News Rumor Mill.

N

Nightstalkers

Would you be interested in posting spoilers for the CPA for every upcoming set?

Drudge Skeletons - could have told ya so!

Underworld Dreams - When I see it, i'll believe it.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

the possibility of getting a foil Underworld Dreams will lead many to buy packs of eighth. It seems like a step up from the more recent base sets, however removing counterspell just seems wrong.

R

Reverend Love

AACK! To Moderators: sorry if this appears to be spamming but this subject wasn’t around when I was writing this and felt appropriate to paste it.

Original Post:

Twinkle City Games has what appears to be a detailed spoiler of 8th.

I for one love the fact that WoTC decided to give White it's desperately needed "Oomph" in the creature department. Via weenies like Savannah Lions, Sword Dancer, Diving Griffin and the current knights. I'm sorry but R&D did an abhorrent job when constructing the Aven as white's new weenies....I mean let's face it, these guys are really horrible, even in casual. This in turn might change the current constructed view on white as merely a color for potential splashing. But that of a solid foundation to build off of.

As to blue I'd like to clear something up before I go off on a rant. I love blue. Both my green and red collections combined might equal that of my blue. I still recall the first starter deck of Unlimited I opened seeing a Sea Serpent and Phantom Monster...sealing my blue fate. There's just something about the mind magic, which appeals to me. Now R&D decides in it's grandiose wisdom to deny blue of its time honored counterspell. Well you know what I've got to say about that.... it’s about ****ing time. For far to long Magic's potential for deck creativity has been stifled by this undercosted, overpowered "answer". Yes countering spells is a part of magic...it's always been and when you play don't be surprised if sometimes your stuff doesn’t go through. However loading up on counters and dropping two threats in your deck isn't. That particular form of countering isn't an answer, it's an admittance of lack of ingenuity. It's no different from sligh (by the way when did this stop being burn and an actual archtype...maybe my hiatus was longer then I thought). Why don't you just say "Hey that's a nice deck you got there, your ideas are pretty interesting and compelling but since I myself’ am incapable of such deck construction I'll just counter everything you try". An example would be instead of playing with Pawns, Bishops, Knights etc. in a chess game, just to load up with Queens. Because I mean why try to predict, plan and execute when you just react to whatever your opponent tries to do by moving wherever you feel like.... repeatedly. Never strategizing because hey...you got the answer. Denying every spell is neither cunning nor graceful. Saving a counter to fend off a deathblow, or to blast that fog while attacking is. I could go on and on about this...but I gotta wrap it up. Countering is in essence an art form. The decision to respond to something your opponent plays shouldn't be a knee-jerk reaction. The application of a counter should be a process of logic and problem solving "Hmm he's already blasted two of my four white knights and I haven't drawn many lands....about 1/3 of my deck is left...I've got more creatures but he's got more life...etc, etc". Not "Do I have two untapped islands...ooh that doesn't matter because I can just Thwart it anyway...haha I love blue it RoXors".

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! NOT MY PAINLANDS!!!!!!!!!! THEY CAN'T TAKE THEM AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ransac, cpa trash man

I

Istanbul

No painlands?
No Counterspell?

Blinding Angel?
Story Circle?
Coral Eel?!
Flash Counter?!
Giant Octopus?! Didn't they specify this WASN'T coming back?!
INTRUDER ALARM?!

Okay, you can stop right there. The fact that this spoiler contains Intruder Alarm...one of the most breakable blue enchantments ever...puts this entire spoiler to SERIOUS suspicion.

I don't buy it.

M

Mr_Pestilence

The spoiler seems pretty reliable to me - which is a shame.

No dual lands?
No pain lands?

Why does WotC hate decks w/ opposing colors? I think these are the most interesting.

Rukh Egg? Hammer of Bogarden? Obliterate? Red looks really good!

No Counterspell? 'Bout #$%^$! time!!!

Savannah Lion? I like the kitty, but w/o Armageddon, WW just can't cut it ("Infest? Mutilate? I lose again..."). Since when does Green deserve Disenchant (OK, it's called Naturalize) more than White???

Underworld Dreams? Ouch. I predict some sick combo based on this card.

The unkindest cut...NO PESTILENCE!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHH!!! *&^&&%#$%@%$%!!!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Nightstalkers: He has been posting spoilers in the past, if someone else doesn't beat him to it like Lotus Mox.

Reverend Love: I deleted your post in the other thread since it seems you would prefer it here.

Sligh was never burn, it was an archetype when it came out in 95-96.

Blue is one of the stronger colors but it's more to its card drawing than countering. There are lots of ways to get around a blue deck (otherwise you'd see it win a lot more consistently the way you describe).

Isty: When did they specify Giant Octopus wasn't coming back? Was it explicit or was it already reprinted from a basic set? And what's wrong with Intruder Alarm? I don't get it... :confused:

Rukh Eggs would be nice... looks like the lucky charms still made the cut :)

What does the "S" mean? Is there a breakout of the unique card from each expansion?

S

shade2k1

Originally posted by Spiderman
What does the "S" mean? Is there a breakout of the unique card from each expansion?
The "S" refers to cards only contained in the Starter Set.

And the list is real. You need only check out today's rollout for further verification.

Underworld Dreams, Rukh Egg, Savannah Lions, and Royal Assassin are all BACK!!! :D

R

rkoelsch

I almost traded away my savanah Lions. that would have been bad.

What am I talking about I don't play physical magic anymore. Now I have to chase 4 Savannah Lions in MTGO. Not to mention 4 Blinding Angels Arghhh:eek:

N

Nightstalkers

I don't know about all of the oldies coming out of the closet, but I sure do like the idea of new art :D

PLEASE HAVE IT BE NEW ART!!!

FYI, it was our idea to bring back Urza's stuff... as well as Nightstalkers but hey didn't take the Nightstalkers to thought. :mad:

N

Notepad

I think it is quite funny the ever-wise Istabnbul missed the fact that there was an S for Starter next to the baby cards (though, Volcanic Hammer should be in the baby set, too).

This set looks quite nice. I will certainly be buying a lot. I hate the new card design, but who the hell is gonna notice once we go through a few sets with it? Suddenly, it'll be as overlooked as white borders, foils, and expansion symbols on the main set.

S

Shiro, Time Devourer

Vizzerdrix?
I thought I there werent going to be ANY STARTER CHAFF RARES!!
//Hulks out

//Reverts

Oh well. Savannah Lions and Obliterate do more than make up for that.

R

rkoelsch

Shiro Vizzerdrix is marked to only be in the starter package. you wouldn't open it in boosters

N

Nightstalkers

*Vomits on Shiro's Vizzerdrix*

Trained Orgg and Vizzerdrix are just crappy rares! anyone here remember the laces? Lifelace... forget the rest :rolleyes: but the point is still there, crappy rares like the starter rares should never be sold in packs. Never, ever ,ever EVER!!! Same goes with impatience. Period

R

Reverend Love

Lifelace
Purelace
Thoughtlace
Chaoslace
Deathlace

....fanciest toilet paper ever printed.

I

Istanbul

Sigh.

Well, as time goes on and more and more of the official rollout agrees with the spoiler, I'm faced with the fact that this may actually be REAL.

So, without further ado:

--------------- Cards That Are In 8th Edition That Shouldn't Be ---------------
Blinding Angel - Oh, look. A card in the basic set that can shut down all attack phases if unchecked. Way to teach the newbies how to have fun.
Holy Day - I can see how this is white, but why has it taken the place of Fog, a card that was very important to green?
Story Circle - Okay, and you printed the COPs in the same set as this because...?
---
Coastal Hornclaw - Lesson #1: Sacrificing land is in flavor for...blue. ???
Flash Counter - Lesson #2: At Wizards of the Coast, we truly, deeply hate you.
Fugitive Wizard - Lesson #3: No, seriously. We hate you. Profoundly.
Intruder Alarm - Lesson #4: As proof, we reintroduce this card that can be introduced into about twelve billion combos.
---
Deathgazer - Okay, explain to me when BLACK got the Venom ability? Basilisks? In ONSLAUGHT? Hello?
Plague Wind - Why would they bring this card back? Why not Mutilate? Why not Infest? Why not something you might actually CAST someday?
---
Anaba Shaman - It is a Homelands card. It AUTOMATICALLY sucks.
Dwarven Demolition Team - So, let me get this straight. In the same set where red gets back two of its best walls (Cinder, Stone), it gets this? HUH??
Mana Clash - I hate you, WotC. I hate you so much...
Orcish Spy - So very, very much...
Rukh Egg - yyyyyah. Red gets reanimation...a BLACK ability...and an undercosted flier, a BLUE ability...in...red. *sigh* Color wheel? What's that?
---
Foratog - Oh, I'm sorry. Sacrificing your land is a GREEN ability. Did I miss a class?
Living Terrain - Oh, great. We're gonna see 5/6 land creatures coming out on turn 4 (or sooner). Move over, Ernham...
Moss Monster - Of all the interesting cards in Legends to reprint, I am personally offended that they bring back this steaming pile of vanilla goo.
---
Distorting Lens - I am gonna be SO pissed when I open one of these.
Planar Portal - Some cards never should have been printed. This is one of them.

------

This set just feels wrong.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
How long have you been playing again, Isty?

Holy Day - probably the same reason why Green got Naturalize.

Blue has always been sacrificing lands. Think Leviathan at least (Dark I think). It may not be a main thing for it, but it's been there.

Black has also had the venom ability. Think Abomination.

Homelands may not have had many tourney-worthy/broken cards (aside from Autumn Willow and the Arrow artifact card), but that probably means it was balanced. I think of it more like Legions actually...

Rukh Egg - about the same as Bogardan Phoenix (and Rukh Egg was back in AN, so you know this ability is not new to red). It's about the same as Temporary Insanity.

Everything else I don't have enough info to comment about. But any other "out of flavor" is probably just going with what WOTC said about mixing up the flavors a bit when they answered why Temporary Insanity is red and not blue.

T

Troll

Are the rarities going to be the same as they were in the original sets? eg. Rukh Egg-Common I can't wait. I hope I get 100.

PS. Vizzerdrix=steaming pile. has anyone ever used one of these in any deck except their very first Magic deck. I have 4 or 5 of these and they went from pack to book and haven't moved since.

S

Skyrider

No counterspell? *sob* ::looks at blue cloak and wand:: Well, looks like my career is over.