Rise of The Griffins

H

Haggen

I am STILL trying to make a griffin deck that can win with griffins, if you understand what I mean.

It is very, very difficult.

The main problem, the Griffins are expensive. I think that's because they're mainly common.

I tried to use Pearl Diamond. But, bad idea, it takes too long to make a good effect on the game.

My second attempt was to splash green and so use Mirari's Wake and Armadillo's Cloak.

It kind worked, but, sometimes I just don't know what to do with all that mana, and besides, the Wake's take more time to play that the Griffins themselves, eh.

A third idea appeared from nowhere. Use Urza's Incubator, you bastard dummy decoy! So, on my 3rd attempt, I'll use Urza's Incubator to make the Griffins rise once again:

Rise of The Griffins 3: Zuberi Never Gives it up

Creatures (I mean, Griffins) (20)

01 Teremko Griffin
02 Razorfoot Griffin
03 Unyaro Griffin
04 Daraja Griffin
04 Ekundu Griffin
04 Mtenda Griffin
03 Zuberi, Golden Feather (Zuby, Zuby!)

Other Spells (20)

04 Urza's Incubator
04 Armadillo Cloak
04 Empyral Armor
04 Disenchant
04 Sword to Plowshares

Lands (20)

04 Griffin Canyon
04 Elfhame Palace
01 Forest
11 Plains

Perhaps this one shall take revenge for all Griffins.
...But I need 3 more Incubators, there we go, tradind again...

R

Rooser

Diving Griffins, dude. Mini-Serra Angels they are. They're commons, should be easy to get.

R

Reverend Love

Chuck in Moment's Peace, because I'm picturing you being stomped on in the beginning rounds. Another problem is that while Griffins are nifty they're usually stuck around the 2/2 area. The Emporal Armor and Armadillo Cloaks are spiffy, since your using plenty of enchantments throw in some Ancestral Mask.

Cost= 2G MM(C)
Text (MM): Enchanted creature gets +2/+2 for each other enchantment in play
A 4/4 flying first strike griffin is something to deal with...and that’s with only 2 of Your enchantments in play. Picture 4, an 8/8 flying, first strike, bird pony is terrible to behold.

In addition add something like Noble Purpose or Sterling Grove and things REALLY starta ta get SPICY! (remember it'll also feed Ancestral Mask)

Sterling Grove
Type= Enchantment Cost= GW IN(U)
Text (IN): All other enchantments you control can't be the targets of spells or abilities. ; {1},Sacrifice ~this~: Search your library for an enchantment card and reveal that card. Shuffle your library, then put the card on top of it.
Noble Purpose
Type= Enchantment Cost= 3WW MM(U)
Text (MM): Whenever a creature you control deals combat damage, you gain that much life.
Best of Luck

C

Captain Caveman

Have you tryed something like this?

01 Teremko Griffin
02 Razorfoot Griffin
03 Unyaro Griffin
04 Daraja Griffin
04 Ekundu Griffin
04 Mtenda Griffin
03 Zuberi, Golden Feather (Zuby, Zuby!)

*04 Wild Growth
03 Armadillo Cloak
*04 Shared Triumph
03 Disenchant
04 Sword to Plowshares

04 Griffin Canyon
04 Elfhame Palace
02 Forest
12 Plains

Of course, that's only two cards added to your decklist but I
personally think it pretty good the way it is but adding Wild
Growth would speed you up and the Triumph would make
the Griff's bigger.

K

Killerbob

I agree that Incubators are the only way to play all these 4cc griffins.

But if you add some land taxes and rancors, you might have enoght enchantments to play tethered griffins. This will speed the deck up a lot.

Another idea is to play blue for mistform ultimus. Its has better power/cc ratio than most of the griffins. Isnt that flavorish though.

A third approach could be to play red, to find some very nice synergy. Sneak attack plays very very well with mtenda griffin. You already have land tax for tethered griffin, so you might add lands edge or seismic assault. Lands edge works also fine with jokullhaups or obliterate. Which fortunately works well with mistmoon griffin.
You just need some really huge creature to take full advantage of sneak attack and mistmoon griffin. But I cant think of any in the griffin style. Thats why I never builded this deck.

H

Haggen

Thanks for the support, folks!

I'll be testing your sugestions on MWS.

N

Notepad

I used to have a griffin deck for three years. Kept tuning it, and never got it the way I wanted. Dismanteled it around the time of Invasion, as more than Diving Griffin from Masques block was needed to save it.

The problem is griffins are too small for too slow a cost. That means ya gotta have some speed in there, and something that can protect your slow air ponies. Why not combine them--quick support. You have it right with Swords to Plowshares, and I have found with my cleric deck that 4x Weathered Wayfarer plus 4x Empyrial Armors works with just about any white deck that invites them. Dabba boom! Throw those in the lower mana curve spots with the Swords and you have a spicey recipe!

Just make sure to have some more boosters. My favorites were Crusades, as they fit the 2-mana spot. Anthem clashes too much with Armor and Diving Griffin, so I stick to the Crusades. ;)

I would recommend sticking with mono-white and almost basing it off of a White Weenie style of deck. That should work good.

T

train

Search the M:TG archives for "Griffin Canyon" - there's some coold ideas there, and you can even kill someone with a suped up griffin...:eek: ;)

K

Killerbob

Or with the canyon itself. In case anyone should have missed this: canyon + animate land + unnatural selection.

T

train

It could be part of the griffin deck...

"So could Mistforms according to WOTC...":rolleyes:

H

Haggen

Hehehehehehe.
I wish all the griffins would have 2cc.

I would not care if they would all end up being uncommons and rares.

H

Haggen

Bird?
Hey, I have a bird deck too! I'll post it later

And for now that's what I think it'll do:

Creatures (I mean, Griffins) (20)

01 Diving Griffin
02 Razorfoot Griffin
03 Unyaro Griffin
04 Daraja Griffin
04 Ekundu Griffin
04 Mtenda Griffin