Squall, same name, different casting costs.

D

Dune Echo

I saw two versions of Squall and wrote WotC customer service. Check out the response...

>I was looking at the Starter spoiler list and the Mercadian Masques
>spoiler list. Squall is listed as having a casting cost of 1G in
>Starter and 2G in MM. As Squall only does 2 damage compared to Needle
>Storm which does 4, I think that the Starter list is correct. Am I
>right? The Oracle version says that Squall is 2G. Which one is right?
>If the MM version is incorrect, you might want to issue some errata
>promptly please. Thanks.

They are both right. They each are costed that way to keep balance in their
particular set.

Okay, what do you guys think? Why are they trying to weaken green again? Why make a weaker version of Needle Storm and then make TWO versions of a card with the SAME name with discrepencies? Slip-shod proofreading and WotC trying to cover their butts again?

------------------
Dune Echo

...letting the whole world know everything.

C

CthulhuDragon

The big problem is when starter becomes tourney legal next year. Which card would you use? The cheaper one, I'm guessing.

C

Chaos Turtle

Starter's becoming legal has been hinted at, but not assured. I wouldn't be surprised, though.
Prediction: Start will become like the basic set of 6th (i.e. simple cards) while 7th will include some things that were left out (protection, trample) to assure the players that it wasn't meant to be "dumbed down."

As far a Squall is concerned, ignore everything Customer Service tells you. It's a mistake, plain and simple (see Anthologies). It will most likely be announced the the Masques version is correct since it was printed most recently as is already tournament legal. Customer Service should never be considered a reliable source of Magic info.

D

Dune Echo

Is it assured that Starter will be tourney legal? Not all of the cards have the same name in the game. I'd like to be able to include Volcanic Hammer in my red deck just for some decent direct damage spells. Be nice if they improved the instant spells a bit. They're castrating red damn it!