Need some seroius help on how to approach this...

• Thread starter FoundationOfRancor
  • Start date
F

FoundationOfRancor

If this is wrong forum, I apoloigize. Anyway, i met a girl who wants to learn magic. Problem is, shes in new york, while im stuck in michigan. So, how cani teach her magic? I told her about magiccampus, even showed her some articles. But those just confused her. So, if its okay, I would like people to post there ideas on how to approach this in this thread. Im gonna focus more on this >June 15 (Last day of school!!!)

Z

Zadok001

Good luck... If you both have speedy connections, try sending her Apprentice and a simple deck or two. You can theoretically teach over that...

"But WHERE?"

D

Duel

The problem with apprentic is, you gotta know the rules, it doesn't do that for her.
Get the computer game. Not apprentice and NOT battlemage (that game sucks!). The actual game. She gets it too. send her a decklist and start to play her

I

Istanbul

Get her to buy a Starter kit. You know, the one with the CD-Rom. Not only will she get a foil Rhox, but she'll get the CD.

I plugged that thing in just for kicks, to see how it ran; it's GOOD. Really good. Better than my article on magiccampus. If it can't teach you to play Magic, you probably can't be taught.

S

Seeker of Truth

FoundationOfRancor:

I agree with Duel and Istanbul. The Starter is designed to teach newcomers the ropes, and it's already recommended by another member. Plus, if that doesn't work, you can always take the hands-on approach and play her via the Magic Interactive Encyclopedia version. That way you can basically teach her as if she were right there in the same room! Of course, you'll have to help her with the online controls, too...

L

Lythand

Are you SURE she is interested in learning magic..or learning about you. I mean come on. New York is a mecca for magic. Isnt that where they have pro tour matches. I am quite sure she can find someone locally to teach her. Like a comic shop..Maybe she want to get to know you better and her way is going through something she knows your familiar with. I mean we all seen the story where the woman wants to learn about a guy in a bar so she asks him to teach her pool. And when he is close to her helping her with a shot she comments on his really big....bicepts

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Lythand: What? I think you're reading too much into this. There are many reasons why she might ask someone not from NY to teach her... the most obvious is that she feels most comfortable with FoR from the internet. I mean, I'd probably play Magic with you guys here from the CPA than with people from my area.

FoR: My advice is to send her or point her to a rulebook (I don't know how the ones from 6th look, IF they exist, so maybe a pre-6th) so she gets the general idea (don't worry about the stack yet) and then one of you calls the other using one of those cheap-o long distance numbers (like 10-10-220 where you get 20 minutes for $0.99) and just talk it out over the phone. When the limit is reached, hang up and have the other person call.

L

Lythand

Spider you could be right. It was just an idea. Its just in my experience, there are not that many magic playing woman in our area. And truth be known that when ever a woman had seen me or some friends playing, the inquired about the game, but after some time they had no intrest in the game, they just wanted to get to know us better so they use d what we where doing as a means to get to know us.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Lythand: Ok. I agree that your theory is possible, but just from looking at the distance (NY to Michigan) it's probably not likely.

At least you had the experience of girls asking about the game to get to know you :)

F

FoundationOfRancor

Hey all. I wanna thank you all for checking and replying to this guys. I have told her to get a STARTER, but she like, lives in the bronx. I dont think the 7/11's sell magic. I dont know. I gotta tell her more about this. THats a good diea about calling her. CUz shes a good freind and I wouldnt mind talking to her anyway. How long do you think I would have untill that phone savings thing went up?

L

Lythand

i dont know what your social hours are or hers..but i find its cheaper to talk long distance after 12 midnight..but thats late for most

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Don't you pay attention to all those 10-10 commercials? :)

In my experience, 10-10-220 gets you $0.99 for the first 20 minutes and $.07 a minute after that (which is why I recommend disconnecting and re-dialing, although I've never done it).

Another one is 10-10-811 (? Oh darn, I can't remember it... 881? Something like that) I think it's $.50 for the first 20 minutes and I can't remember how much after. If someone doesn't beat me to it, and if I remember, I could look it up when I get home or you could just try searching on the web; I know there's at least ONE site that compares all those 10-10- plans.

M

Multani

Tag Guard

"Experience is the best teacher."
FoR, go to New York.
Spend a few hours teaching her.
This method is expensive, but I believe it will be somewhat effective.
BTW, I assume your old enough to do this. :D

T

theorgg

Actually, 7-11 or Superstop is suppose to be carriying M:tg now.

I'm not sure what the selection would be like, but it was advertised in the Duelist...
before her demise.

[Edited by theorgg on June 5th, 2000 at 10:25 PM]

M

Multani

Tag Guard

The Duelist is gone!
Oh well, I never read it anyway. :D

G

Gumby Khan

The best way for her to learn is by tutorial. It doesn't have to be you, though. Maybe she could stop by Neutral Ground or someone you may know who lives close by. Magic has too many idiosynchracies (SP?) to teach remotely. Can you remember how you started playing? Think you could've picked it up after talking to someone on the phone about it? Even after seeing a CD? Better for her if someone could tell her, "Don't counter the Voltaic Key, wait for the Tinker." FoR, if you have any means to personally visit her, I suggest you do it. Hell, if she really wants to learn from you, she could visit Michigan. If Magic doesn't pan out, y'all could go fishin' er sumtin'...:)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
From what FoR is saying, I'm getting that this girl would rather learn from someone she knows than from a stranger, which would make it difficult to just show up at a shop and be taught the ropes.

Also, I don't think you have to get into how to play specific decks right away; in fact, I think that's the worst idea. What she needs to know is the basic flow of play; i.e. the phases, the general combat sequence, the types of cards and when they can be played, the concept of mana, etc. In other words, your "crap common" deck made up of Pearled Unicorns and Gray Ogres.

I didn't get a chance to look up that other 10-10-8?? number. Oh, and I use those two numbers because they don't charge a monthly fee like a lot of the others do.

D

Dune Echo

The Starter thing with the foil Rhox would be a great thing for her to buy. If she's got a credit card (who doesn't these days?), then she can order it straight from WotC and it gets there quickly. Also, it's absolutely AWESOME for teaching purposes. Also, it's quite entertaining to play. I actually lost quite a bit on the fifth level because I kept holding out to cast an Aladdin's Ring and my opponent would Flashfires me every time right after I counterspelled some random creature. It's a perfect boxed set for a newbie, really. Good cards, a foil-alternate-art rare, and a fun CD with 5 different games, cool intro, and nice screen savers.

D

destiny231

thanxs everyone for helping out with my problem. i do wanna learn and no i'm not trying to get in my friends pants or try anything for that matter with him. he is just a good friend of mine. and i will take that whole fishin thing into mind. but anyway these are some great ideas but the calling after midnight will not be happening! he can call me before midnight.

A

Almindhra

Not everyone who lives in "New York" lives in NYC!!!!...I can't stand that thinking...New York is not just an island...And where I live in NY STATE there aren't that many people who play magic...Maybe about 10 go to our little tourny get togethers...And 1 is really good and has gone on pro tours...But anyway...I'll probably talk about this with you later Casey...