If this is real...

D

Dune Echo

Guys, if you haven't seen this at MTG, check it out right now!

http://www.mtgnews.com/cgi-bin/buzz/viewnews.cgi?newsid951546802,23636,

Okay. WTF?! Change the rules and now the card design? I don't like it. It doesn't look like a Magic card any more. It looks like overpower or something. The arcane, non-suped-up version with cool fonts is just fine. Why do they really want to change it? Or is someone going through a lot of trouble to present a hoax?

L

Leshrac

No, this isn't a hoax, you can find a link to the survey where those images were posted on MOTL's main page in the News section.

I agree that the new design is terrible, it's like they're trying to Poké-ize (there's a good word ;)) Magic.

[Edited by Leshrac (02-28-2000 at 03:22 PM).]

M

magicman_moe

ok i just got back from the page that was posted and i must say that the cards look like crap and youre right about the overpower cards they look like shit

W

Wizard2000

I actually kind of like the new design. The only thing I would change is to put the mana back into a horizontal row instead of vertical. Overall the cards look more modern.

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Overall the cards look more modern.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>While yes, I agree they look more modern, I'm not sure I want them to be modern. :)

I've always pictured Magic as taking place in the middle ages, around when most generic D&D campaigns took place.

Then this new card design looks like Overpower or something.

Ahh well, all in all, I don't like it!

-mike

D

DeathPitOffering

I think wizards was just thinking about. I guess the let it leak to see if the players liked it or not. From what I gather, not many people like it. So I doubt they'll actually make it go to print. I personally havent made up my mind as to whether I like it or not!

Z

Zadok001

The jury's still out on this one... Nice visual apperance in general, but I don't like the style they seem to be going for, a comptemporary mix of cyberpunk and medieval.

I don't think WotC will have the nerve to do something like this. The 6th edition rules changes are understandable, I saw that coming a mile away. Changing the basic design of the cards, though? Blah.

Ya' know what I _wouldn't_ mind though? A summer Magic-esque collectors edition using this design. Like foils, the cards would be collecters ONLY type things, high valued, but not any different from a normal card... Thoughts?

C

Chaos Turtle

I actually like the look of the cards, but I do think that they ought to leave things in the same places. I see no reason that they cannot make the cards look as nice as they do without moving the mana cost symbols and other stuff around.

I also don't think that shrinking the size of the art box is such a good idea, either.

I do wish they'd make more land like the land cards in Unglued.

I would like to see a more "modern" look for the game, too, just without such radical changes.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
To me, they look like the new design they came up with for Battletech cards. You know, the one they introduced immediately prior to the unofficial death of that game (though in my opinion it died not because of the card re-design, or at least not much because of it). The Battletech cards were darker, but they had that same 'along the side of the card' design.

Ya' think they're tryin' to tell us somethin'?

Oh, and Zadok? I don't think WotC can ever be accused of having a lack of nerve. Gross stupidity, maybe, but never a lack of nerve.

TomB
CPA Member

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It looks okay except that wide bar on the left where the mana cost and artist is. That area does seem to cut into card/flavor text and art. If they keep those back on the top and bottom it would be okay.

Killer Joe

I like it. (Red Alert!)
I like the way the image has the cards fanned out, you can see the mana cost easier. (Mr. Scott, Shields up, Now!)
Change is good. (Shields down to 60% Captain)
Not only that, it's healthy. (...40% now.)
It does have a more public appeal to it. (Captain, I can't hold these shields up much longer)
I remember liking the the gold, silver and black rarity color idea for the symbols. (shields are gone Captain)
I, for one think that the change brings a fresh and much needed face lift for our beloved game. I know no one will really flame me , but the star trek thing was funny when I was writing this.

M

Mr_Pestilence

Well, I HATE the new design. I'm not necessarily opposed to changing the design, I just don't like THIS design.

Yellowjacket, now that your shields are gone, have a Photon Torpedo up the tailpipe.

B

Baron Sengir

I don't mind the way the new cards would look but I am reaaaaally partial to the way they already look. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. They should concentrate more on making the basic set better. They'd sell more cards that way than by making them look more "modern"

I remain
The Baron
Beginning a month-long period of mourning for his childhood hero, Chewbacca

T

theorgg

&lt;shiver&gt;

This design is a disaster-in-the-making.
Three, count them, THREE games already have used this Exact design.

1. Middle earth: the wizards.

2. Fastbarake(suppose to be fastbreak, they misprinted the backs of the cards)

3. name forgotten, space exploration board game that I played several years ago in the "gifted" smartkids class at school.

This design is WAY too generic for magic. and why shrink the art? are we reprinting ICE CALDRON???

I don't think so...

W

Wizard

I see nothing wrong with the design the only thing they really changed was where the mana symbols where.....and by the way whats wrong with it looking like overpower I personally like that game.

C

Chaos Turtle

Oh, dear.
For the record, are Wizard2000 and Wizard different members?
I assume so, but just want to be sure. :)