New card layout for 8th edition

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

its cool looking...but its not magic.(on a side note, the new art for blood moon is really nice.)

D

Darkstar

I despise everything about those new cards... Some new art is ok... but all new sets have new art. And why does the Eastern Paladin look sorta Phyrexian or something? Guh... I hope they dont change the sets to come to this format... blah two thumbs down on this monstrosity!

H

HumanError

I submitted an article about this, I hope it gets posted at least relatively soon.

My long and short of it is this: this is a great change, and it will prove itself in time.

I love the new design.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I recall an article a while ago talking about them changing the card format for 6th Edition. Unfortunately, not many players were turned on by this idea and the idea was given the shaft. They seem to have put more effort into this, so it may be permanent. But, I hope that this format won't happen. Otherwise, my lead rabbit and I may have to make a trip to Washington.

Ransac, cpa trash man

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

I think the Eastern Paladin picture is the original one.

Anyway, this is nothing compared to the shock I got when I thought they were replacing magic cards with what turned out to be Vanguard cards... :rolleyes:... Hey, I was younger then....

I don't think this is bad. We'll see if it's good though.

T

theorgg

[warning: this isn't my usual fare. if you are offended by profanity, please do not read this. This is what I feel must be said. Please, if you are under the age of 18 or profanity offends you, do not read any further. - Orgg]

HOW DARE HASBRO FORCE THE ****ING FACE CHANGE UPON WOTC???

HAVE THEY NO RESPECT FOR THE CARD FACE? THE CARD'S LAYOUT WAS FLAWED-- BUT CHANGES SHOULD NOT BE MADE SO GOD DAMNED QUICKLY!

IN FIVE YEARS, THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN FINE! FIRST THE CHANGE OF THE P/T OR ARTSIZE, THEN THE BILEVELING OF THE NAME...

BUT NO!

this isn't the Magic I fell in love with at the tender age of eleven.

this isn't the Magic that kept me from killing myself from the cruelty of the redneck'd kids in sixth grade.

this isn't the Magic I love. the lass I fell wholehartedly in love with, the one I come back to time after time, the one that I care about...

it seems to have decided to make a change to a more masculine personality-- a sudden, unexpected change.

If it was the artworks' enlargement and the P/T box on eighth... then the......

*theorgg begins crying for the soul and uniqueness of Magic.

Granted, the good ideas were always taken away from other games... but now the bad ideas have been dredged from things such as FastBREAK! and Warlords of the Seven, and many other games...

Magic's layout made it unique. No other card game had the exact layout, though they tried...

Now, its just the same as any other mother****er out there.

funny thing? I think changing the size of the artwork was a great idea...

but it just doesn't work right with the new face.

[*theorgg will now resume his normal posting. If this is too extreme even with the warning, feel free to delete it-- but not edit it. Thank you]
Also, this was in the large post, but I feel it is worth it.
Join me in a boycott on 8th edition. Please.

D

Darkstar

My thoughts exactly... cept I wasnt 11, dont have a girlfriend, and the redneck kids got me drunk instead of pickin on me...

H

HumanError

Don't you guys think you're being a little melodramatic?

Okay, so it would've been okay five years ago but not now? Think about the longevity of the game. We're at ten years here. Very few things last for ten years that aren't going to be around for at least another ten, and Magic looks like it has the staying power. These are good changes, and there's no better time to make them than now.

D

Darkstar

But tradition and principles are hard to forget... they shouldnt change!

F

FoundationOfRancor

Regardless of if the changes are cool or not...I gotta ask....Why?

Why make the changes? It doesent make the card layout look all that much simpler, or the p/t stand out more.

You know that 75% of magic players wont like it, because people think radical change is bad. So why do it?

P

Prince RXI

I agree with darkstar on this one, humanerror. They should not change a traditional formation. If a shaman of a tribe desides to make his rituals more colorful by adding in new words and movement, it would change the entire thing. Same thing here: If WOTC changes the card style to this new abomination, then they are changing magic: the gathering to something entirely different. The look of the magic cards basically jumps out and says, "Here I am! I am a magic: The Gathering game card!" but the new one seems to say, "Look at me!!! Now magic is truely defiled!!! MWA-HA-HA-HA!!!!!" Is that what you want to play with??? I think not.

Prince RXI, for the last time, "SAY NO TO THE NEW MAGIC CARD FORMAT!!!"

L

longpolecole

this is the kind of thing that could really turn people off of the game. it will not affect my playing of the game but i do not like it at all. i give the possible changes a great big thumds down

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

For all we know Anson Maddocks could have wanted his layout back... Haven't seen much of him recently, have we? (I mean in terms of Magic, I know he's still doing stuff.)
He was the guy who did the layout a little less than 10 years ago IIRC.
That, or Hasbro pushed them.

This change isn't such a bad thing.
This change isn't such a good thing either.
It's insignificant and it will not change my buying patterns. I will simply go from buying a few boosters a year to buying a few boosters a year. :)

Let's also take the art out of this discussion. For 8th at least none that we've seen is new.

T

train

Blood moon was new art...

And this is very disturbing.... I wonder how Garfield feels - theOrgg - do you happen to have his e-mail so you could ask him why Magic now looks like Pokemon...

M

Multani

I have to agree that radical change, ESPECIALLLY in a card game that has lasted so long is not a good thing, no matter how beneficial this change is.

Personally, I don't see what the benefits of this are. I never had a problem with the old format, so why are they changing it to a new one?

I believe that Hasbro should have went slower on this. Maybe bolding the card title text in one edition, and then slowly enlarging the picture, etc. One change at a time. Nothing too big. That would have eased the shock.
Also, another idea, one I'm pretty sure any sane cooperation would never do, is to offer an exchange program, so players can trade in cards of the old format for the same ones in the new format. This would promote uniformity, but again, I don't think WOTC or Hasbro is going to do this anytime soon, if ever.

D

DÛke

I love the new layout.

I think people should start embracing the changes, not oppose them. The new cards look great - much more clear and organized than their muddy counterparts. The one thing I am willing to entertain is that the new look, looks more "logical," more machine-like, not as organic...so it might misrepresent the "magical" aspect of the game. That is the only reason I would respect, and still, I find it not good enough to dislike the new format.

T

train

The exchange program is a thought... Then someone could sneak into CartaMundi's factory and steal the printing plates with the power nine on them...:cool:

L

longpolecole

i took a another look at the new face, as much as i hate to say it we are all probably going to have to take this blow and just keep on going because if this change is going to be made it won't just be to eighth edition it'll end up being to all sets afterwards , but again i ask why.

P.S. if some of you guys that think this makes the cards more clear could please explain that to me i would appreciate it.