New Extended Deck

M

Mongoose Man

This is a deck for November Extended that was influenced by Zadok's deck, "Carpe Noctum", which can be found in the article archives, Here's the decklist:

3 City of Brass
4 Plains
2 Swamp
2 Treetop Village
6 Forest
2 Llanowar Wastes
4 Thran Quarry
1 High Market
1 Phyrexian Plaguelord
1 Tradewind Rider
1 Verdant Force
3 Saproling Burst
1 Confiscate
1 Seal of Cleansing
1 Pandemonium
1 Pernicious Deed
2 Vampiric Tutor
4 Duress
4 Pattern of Rebirth
4 Academy Rector
4 Phyrexian Ghoul
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Birds of Paradise

The deck retains the 3rd turn kill explained in Zadok's article but now has another combo, the pandaburst combo. This combo is useful if your opponent is making it hard for you to attack them, simply sac a rector to bring out a pandemonium or a saproling burst, whichever you need. The sideboard will probably be composed of COP red, Chill, Tefiri's Moat, Diabolic Edicts, and Defense grids among other things, any suggestions?

T

train

Why just 1 - Rider? bounce is much more effective when used in bulk.

You could use a wash out instead... and really screw someone...

M

Mongoose Man

Well the deck uses the Academy Rectors and Pattern of Rebirths to search out cards so to make washout most efective I'd have to play multiple coppies which I don't have room for in the deck.

J

Jigglypuff

Your mana looks really shaky. You're taking a lot of pain from the Cities and the Wastes. Also, you don't need Thran Quarry since you only need 3 colors of mana. You can probably get by with just the Birds and maybe 2 or 3 Cities. The 1 High Market should be okay. Here's a new mana base that should help eliminate the pain from your lands and should allow you to reliably cast your stuff.

8 Forest
8 Swamp
4 Plains
3 City of Brass
1 High Market
(4 Birds of Paradise)
(4 Llanowar Elves)

You shouldn't have any problems getting green and black mana reliably in the early game when you most need it and you can also hard-cast a Pandemonium if necessary without getting hurt.

As for the rest of the deck, it looks pretty solid. However, I think you need a Monk Idealist. He will allow you to re-use your Bursts and your Patterns, but most importantly, it allows you to re-use your Deed. I also think the deck needs a Spike Weaver. To make room for these two dudes, I'd drop 1 Burst, since the Idealist would allow you to get it back in case they stop the Ghoul kill and allow you to go for the Pandeburst kill. I'd drop both, but you might need a backup one because graveyard-hate does exist.

(- Steve -)

D

Dune Echo

Someone just posted an article on Star City about this deck too. I must've been way off though, I thought Gizmo had made this deck.

//NAME: Carpe Noctum
//White:
4 Academy Rector
1 Seal of Cleansing
//Blue:
1 Confiscate
//Black:
4 Duress
4 Phyrexian Ghoul
1 Phyrexian Plaguelord
2 Vampiric Tutor
//Red:
1 Pandemonium
//Green:
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Pattern of Rebirth
3 Saproling Burst
1 Verdant Force
//Gold:
1 Pernicious Deed
//Lands:
4 Brushland
4 Caves of Koilos
2 City of Brass
4 Forest
4 Llanowar Wastes
2 Plains
4 Reflecting Pool
SB: 2 Circle of Protection: Red
SB: 4 Choke
SB: 2 Ground Seal
SB: 1 Pernicious Deed
SB: 4 Serenity
SB: 1 Spike Weaver
SB: 1 Teferi's Moat

//NAME: Carpe Noctum
//White:
4 Academy Rector
1 Seal of Cleansing
//Blue:
2 Confiscate
//Black:
3 Addle
4 Duress
4 Phyrexian Ghoul
1 Phyrexian Plaguelord
2 Vampiric Tutor
//Green:
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Pattern of Rebirth
1 Saproling Burst
1 Spike Weaver
1 Verdant Force
//Artifacts:
1 Masticore
//Lands:
4 Brushland
4 City of Brass
4 Forest
2 High Market
4 Swamp
1 Yavimaya Coast
3 ?

S

Shiro, Time Devourer

Wow. That's good. Verdant Force becomes a Force indeed here. Pandemonium was always one of my favorite enchantments.

M

Mongoose Man

Yeah, the article on Starcity was mine, i hope you like it.
As for the mana base, I found that I need more sources of black occasionally so the mana base has been changed to:
4 Brushland
4 Caves of Koilos
2 City of Brass
2 Forest
2 Swamp
4 Llanowar Wastes
2 Plains
4 Reflecting Pool

Thanx for the suggestions

D

Dune Echo

... Someone has started a similar thread over on TheManaDrain... I thought you might be interested.

Pattern/Rector Nov. 1.x

paulb's comments may be critical, but hopefully they are constructive:
The extra saproling bursts and the pandemonium are unnecessary in my opinion. My deck has cabal therapies in this slot. You really need more ways to sac your creatures. My deck has 4 ghouls, 3 cabal therapies, 2 phyrexian towers and 2 diabolic edicts and sometimes that still isn't enough.

I would also suggest crosis the purger and verdant force to be your 2 fatties (1 for control decks, 1 for aggro). My deck has vine trellis instead of the elves, but that's just personal preference and due to the fact that the therapies give me more than enough 1 drops anyway.

As for the lands, reflecting pools are unreliable, use 4 cities and about 7 other painlands in the deck.

I don't know who wrote that article, but the sideboard looks really bad. In a deck full of enchantments, serenity is terrible. You only need 1 each of the colour hoser enchantments (cops, choke etc), as they can be rectored out. I would also put 1 of the following creatures in there:

Phantom Nishoba (sligh, 3deuce)
Spike weaver (general beatdown)
Woodripper (turboland, sligh, ankh-tide, tinker, welder red)
Avatar of woe (oath and anything else with spike weavers)

C

Captain Caveman

Has anyone tryed this version yet? The Therapy seems pretty
good because of the flashback cost(Rector)

4 Birds of Paradise
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Phyrexian Ghoul
4 Academy Rector
4 Pattern of Rebirth
4 Cabal Therapy
4 Diabolic Edict
4 Vampiric Tutor
2 Saproling Burst
2 Confiscate
1 Verdant Force
1 Pandemonium
1 Recurring Nightmare
1 Seal of Cleansing

4 Llanowar Wastes
4 Brushland
4 City of Brass
3 Forest
3 Swamp
2 Plains
2 High Market

Sideboard: Open

D

Dune Echo

Has anyone noticed this deck actually got a very minor boost in Onslaught?
Nantuko Husk 2B
Creature - Zombie Insect Common
Sacrifice a creature: Nantuko Husk gets +2/+2 until end of turn.
The soul sheds light, and death is its shadow. When the light dims, life and death embrace. - Nantuko teaching
2/2
Carl Critchlow 159/350
Changing out two Phyrexian Ghouls for two Nantuko Husks at least helps combat Cabal Therapy, Lobotomy, and Eradicate.

C

Chaos Turtle

Go get a copy of the Onslaught spoiler and check out some of those lands man. Grand Colosseum can probably replace City of Brass or two (I'd say all of them but it looks like you'd hate to start the game with lands coming into play tapped). Fetch-lands are good, but a 3-color deck might not be able to make the best use of them. A couple for your most important color-combos would be good though, sort of like a 1-shot Thawing Glaciers.

Z

Zadok001

*pst*

Symbiotic Wurm lets you kill on turn three with either a Rector OR a Pattern. :)

T

train

Symbiotic Wurm is in one of my altar of dementia decks... Coat of Arms works nicely with it also...:D

Got Coat?!!;)