Who wants a good 7th edition?

L

Lythand

Mox Diamond is broken. Anything that gives excellerated Mana is broken. That's why Monolith and Mox Diamond are restricted in T1.

Doubtfully they will be reprinted.

I think if they do reprint the power nine, they should still be banned from the T2 scene. That will keep it fair

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
It's every players dream to own and use those cards! They have an unmistakable aura about them that screams power, prestige, coolness factor...

I imagine all players, but especially newer ones, will be talking about them until WotC DOES reprint them, in one form or another.

Of course, then players will talk about how broken they are even more...;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, despite this being an old topic and brought up over and over again, it's always nice to get a fresh viewpoint as Undertaker's which is actually coherent.

Hmm, I can't look at the previous posts 'cause they're so long so I'm going to have to go on memory.

You have valid points, Undertaker, and I can see what you're saying. I don't think they would be broken in a responsible play group that doesn't try to break them or use them in some combo fashion to kill on Turn 1. But I think you underestimate the tourney scene which (as we know from Adkidson's interview) WOTC pretty much focuses on. The P9 were shown to break the tourney scene precisely because of their speed (which you truly said); there's no reason to think that's going to stop now. In fact, pretty much any mana accelerator now (or anything that "breaks" the rules - skip a turn; the exception seems to be Relentless Assault and the twice attack a turn - it must have been balanced! :)) has great potential to be broken.

The alternative is to reprint them but ban them from tourney play which is possible; it depends if people are willing to buy a card they know isn't playable in tourney form but has the name prestige vs getting an actual playable card.

Personally, as some people have said, since this is a CCG, one should strive to get them by buying or trading and they should not be reprinted.

L

Lythand

How about this..some of us agree that the P9 Shouldn't be reprinted, And some want them to be reprinted.

How about putting it in the Voting booth as

Should P9 be reprinted.

Should P9 be reprinted, but not allowed in tourney scenes

Should the P9 not be reprinted at all.

Just a thought

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Wasn't this part of the Reprint vote that got subsequently knocked off when TomB tried to put up another voting topic?

TomB (or anyone else): Are you planning to reinstate the old voting polls (if you can remember them)? If not, maybe we should do a re-vote on the Reprint policy.

L

Lythand

I really dont know, it may been before my time. But i would like to see results if it was already done, or do it again. Even if its just for the P9

U

uncle2frodo

Just wondering about something. How old is the average member of CPA?

F

FoundationOfRancor

about the p9: The point of the editions is to bring old cards to the tournements, and to give new players soemthing a little easier for they go on to the expert expansions. Anyway, the point of reprinting the p9 (With a little symbol on there backs so there not legal in tourneys) was the same point of making leviathan common= for the younger player. I dont know about you, but when i started playing if i pulled a levitahn OR a lotus in my pack, i would scream! The reason I wanted to do it is for the new players.
I dont know-i could be wrong.

D

DÛke

They should reprint them, like they reprinted the Serra Angel.
How about reprinting a Foil Black Lotus, AND JUST the Black Lotus, not the whole P9. The Foil Black Lotus should be inserted in random Invasion/whatever packs in rare's spot. Or, WotC could give it to people who buy boxes from them, or to people who play ARENA, or whatever. It wouldn't be legal in T2, just like the new Serra Angel, it would be only printed FOR FUN and COLLECTING ONLY!

P

Purple_jester

To go temporarily back to the topic of the thread, I want 7th edition to have black borders. There. Since they're making basic sets with "expansion" symbols, there's no reason to keep the borders white. And please reprint Wasteland. That Port is getting out of control.

Now, regarding the P9 and other power cards. They should be reprinted sometime (though not all at once) but with some indicator on the front of the cards to prevent its use from tournament play. Or, they could just ban those cards from Type 2, Extended and Type 1.5 from the outset, before the set is even released. That way, WOTC gets two of its wishes fulfilled. 1) People will spend more money on packs than on singles, thus increasing their profits. 2) Tournament play remains balanced and fair, while casual play gets a HUGE shot in the arm.

Besides, the nice thing about casual play is that you can always refuse to play people with those cards, if you don't have them yourself. I don't know how responsible all people are in casual play, but where I come from they're pretty nice about it.

(Okay, ulterior motive for me here. I own the Power 9 and want to play people with the same cards. I don't think it's fair for me to use them against other people unless they have the same cards.)

D

DÛke

I have to go OFF TOPIC here: How old are you Purple Jester?

Back to topic: I always disliked white boarders in my decks anyway.
If I'm going to build a deck, I want all the cards to look the same, the back, the the borders, all that basic stuff. Imagin: if the new card desgin have passed, wouldn't it piss people off to play with half the deck normal cards and the rest the new design? That would suck bad. That's why I hate white boarders...

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I'd forgotten all about this thread, and I completely missed Spiderman's last post with it's question.

Sorry :eek:.

Of course we can run the question again. In fact, that's one of the things I've been wondering about, whether we should run all the old votes over again since our membership keeps increasing and the newer people haven't been able to let us know how they feel.

The only problem with that is some of our more Veteran members might be a little bored with the whole idea :rolleyes:.

Here's a possible solution: If anyone has a topic they would like to see posted in the Voting Booth (new or old), simply start a thread here in the Issues Forum. Clearly state that the thread is intended to be a discussion of a topic for voting, and please try to phrase your question in a way that will allow it's insertion into the Booth easily (Yes/No questions, or questions that are looking for only one answer, since that's all the Booth allows).

Then we'll see what kind of response we get from everybody. If enough of us seem to want to do a vote/re-vote we'll do it, but if only a few people seem interested we won't bother.

In the meantime, I'll try to get an article or something together with a summary of the voting totals for some of those earlier votes. The only one I totally lost the info on was the Favorite Color vote, and we re-ran that, so really, we haven't "lost" anything.

I was just waiting for The Baron to get something written up...;)

Now (finally!) for something on-topic :eek:.

My personal vision for 7th edition is tied to my dissatisfaction with 6th edition, more specifically, with some of the rules changes brought about by 6th ed. I'm hoping that WotC will come to realize that the changes weren't universally accepted, and that many of us have made some very valid points in terms of what we think SHOULDN'T have been changed. I'm hoping that they'll see that, and decide to change back some of what I feel are the more illogical changes that were instituted with the release of 6th edition, and, failing that, that they'll at least return to us many of the more well-liked creatures and spells from the dim and dusty past, like Serra Angel and Winter Orb.

But we'll see...

[Edited by TomB on August 13th, 2000 at 07:57 AM]

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
And DUke? I don't think it matters how old Purple_jester is. The piece seemed to me to be pretty well written. Who cares how old somebody is if they're able to express themselves well?

The real question is: M or F? :D

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I should probably check the New Member Forum a little more often. I just went there and found the answer to my question...

F :D

P

Purple_jester

Why, TomB... So glad you noticed. ;) Duke already knows my gender from when I dwelled in MTGnews. I initially get cautious of forums and noramlly wait a while before revealing my gender, but I made an exception with the CPA. I guess I liked the environment.

And DUke, _does_ it matter what my age is? :)

L

Lythand

It really doesnt matter how old you are..or what gender you are..the important thing is..you a supporting magic player.

Thanks Jester

D

DÛke

Purple Jester, you JUST answered me :)
It don't matter, but you answered me anway :)
Ok :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
:rolleyes: Give me a break, DUke. If I didn't know you were 17 (and ooo, a legend in your "neighborhood"), your answer would put your age downward (and kinda does anyway).

TomB: I didn't know you didn't read my question. I thought it was on the back-burner or something.

Regarding 7th, you said:
My personal vision for 7th edition is tied to my dissatisfaction with 6th edition, more specifically, with some of the rules changes brought about by 6th ed. I'm hoping that WotC will come to realize that the changes weren't universally accepted, and that many of us have made some very valid points in terms of what we think SHOULDN'T have been changed. I'm hoping that they'll see that, and decide to change back some of what I feel are the more illogical changes that were instituted with the release of 6th edition, and, failing that, that they'll at least return to us many of the more well-liked creatures and spells from the dim and dusty past, like Serra Angel and Winter Orb.
I'm sure you know my feelings on this, so I won't go into detail suffice to say I thought the changes were good and despite illogical at FEW times, cleaned them up. And I still question the need for cards to come back just because they were "well-liked". Is that going to make them more usable? Is Serra being used in Extended or whatever format it's legal in now? The only good reason I could see them coming back is if they're balanced AND they should be included in Standard again.

Personally, I'd like to see cards from the current sets (Urza's Block and MM) selfishly because I don't have cards from those sets. :D