My U/R common deck

H

Haggen

There will be a magic tournament here and I decided to participate.

However the deck may hold only common cards. So, after thinking too much (And with the desire of DON'T act as everyone and build a green-damned little guys that GROW up), I end building a blue/red control deck.

creatures (10)
2 - Merfolk Looter
4 - Prodigal Sorcerer
4 - Escape Artist

spells (30)
2 - Blazing Salvo
4 - Counterspell
4 - Remove Soul
4 - Null
4 - Lighting Bolt
4 - Shock
4 - Incinerate
4 - Blood Lust

Lands (20)
11 - Island
09 - Mountain

It did a good work against other common decks I have played against. What do you think? Should I put some Fireball, or is fine that way? Or something else?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Do you need the Blood Lusts? It seems you only have 10 creatures yourself and they might not get used... (unless they're working for you in your testing). Maybe Unstable Mutation and replace the Remove Souls (or a couple) for Unsummons so you can get back your creature before the Mutation runs out?

H

Haggen

I was thinking while I was playing about the blood lust too...

I really wanted to replace it with unstable mutation, but I don't have any.

Then I wanted to replace it with some sort of wall, but commons walls are almost too expensive (3 mana cost IS expensive on this deck). Well, Wall of Difusion isn't, but I don't have any, too, whatever.

I'll really put unsummon. Common decks will all work over creatures. So I removed Null for Unsummon. But it's not to save my creatures, they are useful, but I don't care if I lose them. Besides, Escape Artist can return to me anyway. Unsummon will be used with the damned creatures that will come without my "permission" and then it stands laughing with some Rancor e a bunch of Grow-Grow stuff rushing to catch my neck.

Huh, I DO use the 10 creatures, to tell the truth that's THEY who win the game, the red burns are for control too. At least they are for control against common-creatures decks.

That's makes me return to Blood Lust. I have pondering on remove them, but I got nothing better, and they serve me well because they have two purposes:

1- To booooost a little the game by giving to Escape Artist the chance to hit 5 with the +4 "bonus" without being blocked;

2- Give a -4 "bonus" to fat creatures thoughess that would appear (with hard work, that's common deck tournament after all) and making it more weak against my red burns.

The test games was made against 4 diferent decks in 14 duels.

2 common deck that was on test too, 1 theme deck (dragons, eeek) and 1 type 1 deck.

My common-scum deck have won 12!!!!

D

Duel

oooh, I like......

Common counter-burn, sounds good to me...

Mind if I make a few changes? first off.... IMHO, the best common control creature is Ophidian

Ophidian
2U
Creature - Snake
1/3
Whenever Ophidian attacks and isn't blocked, you may draw a card. If you do, Ophidian deals no combat damage this turn.

This is an incredible card, here. Because you should take out their early creatures, this guy can net you mad card advantage.

4 Ophidian
4 Man o War/Waterfront Bouncer (You like unsummon? this guy's good then, any amount of either)

4 Counterspell
6 Arcane Denial/Mana Leak (any amount of either)
3 Capsize (Unsummon ++)
4 Lighning Bolt
4 Incinerate
4 Fire/Ice
3 X burn spells (Kaervak's torch or fireball would be favorite, but any will do)

24 land
Probably
13 Islands
11 mountains

Look good?

I like Fireballs, because they let you finish people off and as a pyromaniac *grins manaically* burning is good....

Arcane Denial and Mana leak are just, in my opinion, better versions of remove soul.

Man o War and Waterfront Bouncer are really good against creatures. The more red you see, the worse the bouncer is and the better Man o War is.

Capsize is Unsummon, only a little slower and in my opinion, better.

Fire/Ice can either buy you time against a fattie or kill weenies.

This looks like fun. I may try it out myself...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, I meant it seemed that the Blood Lusts wouldn't be used that much since you only have 10 creatures, but you explained it pretty well.

I just can't remember what's common of older cards without looking them up, so I can't really suggest anything. The good blue walls I think are Wall of Tears (eh, iffy), Wall of Water (since it's pumpable, but again, eh) and Thunder Wall (better than Wall of Water since it flies) but have no idea if they're common.

Duel's ideas are probably better :)

O

olwen

Here's another possibility:

3 Razorfin Hunter
4 Metathran Soldier
4 Rishadan Airship/Cloud Spirit
4 Stinging Barrier

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Sigil of Sleep
4 Incinerate
4 Mana Leak
4 Counterspell
2 Fireball

13 Island
10 Mountain

You could replace one Fireball with a Mental Discipline to search for better cards.

L

Loafing Giant

The card

???name???
UR
Creature-GoblinMerfolk
Tap, deals 1 dam. to target creature or player
1/1

I forget the name, but you get the idea

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

That's Razorfin Hunter. Apocalypse

olwen: The card Compulsion in Judgment is directly better than Mental Discipline. If Judgment has come out by the time the tournament starts, use Compulsion over any Mental Disciplines you might have used.

I think those Stronghold walls are uncommon. Sorry.

O

olwen

I agree that Compulsion is better than Mental Discipline but alas, it's an uncommon which rules it out for this deck.

D

Duel

I know... which is why I didn't include it, besides, I like ophidian better...

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

... and Mental Discipline is a common, making it better -- more legal, at least -- than Compulsion.

Excuse me while I shoot myself.

T

Tabasco

go with Olwen's build above after all It's a pretty strong build especially vs. green