volunteer if you want the CPA to live and you have what it takes

G

Gizmo

Yes I was rewarded quite nicely by Starcity, I think I got above the minimum they pay writers because the old editor liked me more than Ferret does. Ferret doesn't really look for strategy so much as interesting articles, whereas the old editor was very strategy-based (he moved to edit Sideboard online and offered me a position there, which I declined).

I wont say what I was on cos it might cause other writers to whinge, but it was above $25 (in store singles credit) and below a box of boosters.

G

Gizmo

Yes, Zadok will have been paid as well. I believe that all the people listed as 'feature writers' were paid in store credit, and the more popular/famous the writer, the more they could demand for their articles.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Do you know if StarCity always started out that way? Or did they start out "free" like us or asking for contributions and then move up to paying writers?

Just wondering about the ins and outs of this sort of stuff :)

T

Turtlewax Joe

I'll start a new thread for people who think they could ACTUALLY pump out an article bi weekly or weekly.

R

rakso

The idea is wonderful, but let me propose an alternative.

Much as I love the CPA, I send my articles to Star City. It's not because of any lack of loyalty, but I simply believe that the site is a better venue. Its core is really its daily update of articles and existing audience base.

I don't think you have to reinvent the wheel every time, and you get more coverage for the CPA community.

Think about it. Beyond Dominia is another cozy little community, this time for Type I lovers. The trend now is for the most prolific posters to compile their thoughts, send them to Star City, then link Beyond Dominia and talk about them there.

I know I've never sent an article that didn't have the link to CPA in my signature, and I'm sure quite a few have followed that link since. The editor doesn't mind you recognizing your "home community" that way, and it helps both sites get recognized.

What do you think?

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
You are not the problem, my friend...:D

The problem, in fact, is that there is only one of you, and to do daily updates (or at least "somewhat more often updates" :) ) we'd need at least 4 more just like you. The Orgg's Quard article reprints are terrific, but eventually those are bound to run out. YJ has been away for a while - Duel too - and in their absence no one has really stepped up and taken over.

I think this is the point TJ is driving at...:(

In re-reading his original post in this thread he had a suggestion under 2) which reads:
2) when the new posting members start flooding in and want a place to discuss theories and deck tech and such as most more serious players want to do....we open a new forum on the index..."Magic Theories and serious stuff"
Did anyone want to comment on that? Basically expanding the currently dormant Tournament section of the forums? :eek:

R

rakso

They're a segment of the population with those needs, yes, but you still have to make CPA different from every other run-of-the-mill forum, right?

Look, Star City's better articles are geared towards CASUAL players. Think about it. :)

And my main point was that you're not MagicTheGathering.Com, so if you want recognition for a pool of writers, start sending to an established site instead of reinventing the wheel. It'll be easier on all of you, and you still get results.

Sigh... BD is dead, sorry to wax poetic.

Anyway, please vote Oscar: http://www.ccgprime.com/events/writerwar/poold.html

G

Gobo

well as being from other sites I can say that the connections to this site suck right now. When I found out about this site way back when it was in form of word to mouth like in the agricultural age. In the past few months I have heard 0 about this site since about last july.
Get this site up to were mtgnews is on the search engins then maby....

R

rakso

That's the funny part.

You know, the thing I've always appreciated about CPA is that no one here is an oinkhole.

I've received comments from so many people about the average age and intellectual age and social age of MTGNews visitors, even their moderators.

Anyway, I did say that sending articles to Star City as "CPA members" like I do will do wonders for your word of mouth.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You know, the thing I've always appreciated about CPA is that no one here is an oinkhole.
I'm sure HOUTS and his buddies from that one thread link in General would disagree... ;)

R

rakso

For the record, I have never received a nasty remark here in the CPA, and I'm sure I've been here for a very long time.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, nothing about you. I was just saying that that group have a poor opinion of the CPA (aside from lack of Magic content). :)

A

Almindhra

So about this writing thing...I was thinking about it, and I wrote one Magic article before (not on this site though), so why not write more articles?....

But, I don't want to write Magic articles...There are so many people who do that from all different angles and some get paid, la di di di da...I play all sorts of games, and I'd rather write about them then Magic...Magic has taken a backseat to my priorities, and I go psycho about so many other games...

So, just letting you know...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I know, you and Duke at least are chomping at the bit to write about non-Magic games... however, due to the thread in General (can't remember the title but it's fairly recent), it looks like most people want to give Magic another try before going to all games.

R

rakso

There. I got you a link from Star City today, in case you haven't noticed. ;)

Hope it helps, Spidey.

R

rakso

Huh? What links?

If you look at Star City TODAY, there's a link TO the CPA, INVITING people to check it out.

You guys were complaining you were dead and stuff, so... :)

I took the liberty of a little extra publicity, that's all.